What's new

PARKER 96R Safety Razor

Detailed Product Description:

Parker safety razor model no. 96R
Place of Origin: India

Features:
1) Long 4 inches handle for better handling. Medium weight for regular users & beginners
2) Fine quaity hand cutting & rough mat pattern on handle for better grip
3) Nickel plating on brass frame. (for better durability)
4) Comes with an attractive travel case.

Price: $15-$20

I own this razor and it is part of my regular rotation. I have had good results with it. I think it is fairly agressive so I stay away from really sharp blades such as Feather blades. I like the longer handle and the weight/balance is good. If you want to buy a new TTO type razor (rather then used) this is a good choice. I think Parker gets a bad rap on this forum. There is life beyond Gillette and Merkur.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

i have a 96R, the head is extreamly light, the silo doors dont exactly match, and the handle is not exactly straight, this was my 2nd DE, i keep it in a drawer, my Slim is widly superior, ,

I agree with everything trainman said, but I will ad that since I wrote the initial review, having used more vintage Gillettes I do think the Parkers are noticeably inferior in terms of build quality and durability. If you especially like the look, I'd try to seek out a ~1970 "Black Beauty" Gillette Adjustable long handle. They're not the most common razor out there, but they're usually not expensive.

For that matter - what about a Feather? They are supposedly well made. I am thinking about getting one myself.

I also have a Feather Popular and it is also in my regular rotation. This is an extremely mild razor and needs a very sharp blade to compensate for the mildness.

In fact I use this razor when I start a new blade or if I am not familiar with how sharp a blade may be. It is almost impossible to cut yourself on a Feather Popular.

The downside to this razor is that once the blade starts dulling a little or a blade is not particularly sharp then this razor does not respond very well so I may move the blade to a more agressive razor.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I agree with everything trainman said, but I will ad that since I wrote the initial review, having used more vintage Gillettes I do think the Parkers are noticeably inferior in terms of build quality and durability. If you especially like the look, I'd try to seek out a ~1970 "Black Beauty" Gillette Adjustable long handle. They're not the most common razor out there, but they're usually not expensive.

I would not say the Parker is inferior but I agree they are not like the old Gillettes. That being said I think the Parkers are a good chioce for someone who wants a "new" razor and not "used".

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just a quick bump on this. So those of you who bought it, what do you think of it now that you have used it? How does it compare to the 90?

first razor purchase.....mild shaver with decent blades. once I started buying SS's and adjustables...... it is now a show piece.......great starter......

Well. It was my first DE and with Walmart Personnas I was very happy. BUT, the razor came in a kit and the brush in the kit fell apart, so I returned it with the kit. 2 months later and today I went back to that shop to find that very razor, hoping to buy it back. It was there and I paid too much for it, happily! My hope is that I can use it with my Personnas again and get a better shave than the last 5 Gillettes and various blades I've tried in the past couple months to match it. I will NOT say it was all the various Gillette razor's fault.

I did like my short black-handled Gillette Slim and I believe I can work back into the Gillettes. But something, somewhere, went terribly wrong after the Parker and I need to find out what.

I am a noob as well with a first purchase and I just bought one. Should be here in a few days. Reviews of the 90R seemed like it would be good for someone new like me and it seems from your responses I made a good choice.

I have to admit, I partially purchased it just because no one seems to talk about it on these boards.

I am a noob as well with a first purchase and I just bought one. Should be here in a few days. Reviews of the 90R seemed like it would be good for someone new like me and it seems from your responses I made a good choice.

I have to admit, I partially purchased it just because no one seems to talk about it on these boards.

Just wondering how it turned out.

Below is quoted from an ebay sale stating the redesign.

'The head for this razor has been redesigned for 2010. The doors are now 2.5 times thicker than ever before and provide an extremely close and smooth shave.'

Does it sound like that would take care of the blade deflection brought up in previous posts?

I've had both, and while I agree that sometimes they don't get their due, their quality control makes each razor a little unpredictable. Both mine were very aggressive, so for what it's worth, take your time. After 8 months of no nicks, I've got a doozy healing on the back of my noggin, courtesy of the 90R. Hope this helps.

I don't own this model, but my first de was a Parker 22r (also a TTO w/ 2010 head) ...it was a great starter razor and still in my rotation. There we some minor QC issues, ie slightly crooked handle where it twists, but it gives nice shaves.

I am kinda new to DE shaving and am on my 3rd week. I bought a parker 96r and love it. Of course I haven't tried anything else yet but it gives me a much closer shave than anything I have ever used before (was using gillette mach 5 before switching over to a DE). I use it with shark blades. Haven't gotten any knicks, cuts, etc from it yet either.

Top Bottom