What's new

Acceptable Levels of Glue on a Brush

So far I've had three brushes; C&E BBB, Saville Row 3118 and a Simpson B5. Today i received a new brush. The glue on the knot extends between 1-5mm around 90% of the brush base and there is very visible white glue around about 50% of the base also. None of my other brushes have shown any glue whatsoever. I paid a lot of money for this brush and it is not the finish I was thought I would get.
If any brush experts would like to PM me I'll shoot you a picture and you can let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Ed

Ed why dont you just post the picture here?

Also what kind of brush is it and where did you buy it ?have you said any thing to the person/vendor that sold you the brush ??

if you paid a lot of money for this brush and are not happy let them know why you are unhappy and see if they will try and help you out

Nick

well, see, that's the problem...I am busy for the next 36 hours and would like to get this resolved asap. I'd rather not mention the manufacturer as it isn't really their fault. If it is unusual and I contact them and they don't care (which i doubt will happen) then that will be a different story. I am not sure if this is normal or not. If it is and will "flake away" over time then that's fine but I have never seen anything like this other than on a $5 supermarket boar special. I am really just looking for opinions. Here's the brush. I have outlined where the glue runs. It seems to be very high and goes almost all the way around at that height. The white glue you can see clearly and this is not the worst patch.

Ed
proxy.php

It would be tedious, but maybe a needle or an x-acto knife could scrape away the glue without harming the hairs. I had to do this with a brush I made when some glue squeezed out when I set the knot. It wasn't difficult to remove it.

I have a Shavemac with this condition. When I got the brush I was surprised. I searched through threads and saw others have had this issue with Shavemac and other vendors. Shavemac seemed to pop up a bit more often. In the discussions I read people seemed a bit irked but generally not enough to return the brush.

So I decided to just use and enjoy the brush. After the brush broke in I don't really notice the glue around the edges any more. It didn't affect performance and I can't really see it anymore. If I dig around the base with my fingers I can still feel the glue but again for me it isn't really an issue.

Given Shavemac's reputation for excellent customer service I knew I would have been able to return the brush without a hassle. My experience was that it ended up not being a big deal and I don't feel like I settled and got a bad brush. I use this Shavemac more than any other brush I have now, including the B&B 2006 brushes and a Simpsons Chubby. It kicks butt.

So I just wanted to mention my own personal experience about glue. But if you aren't satisfied, as was suggested, you should get in touch with the vendor (or dealer) for a replacement. I hope the vendor is cool (and most of the common names tossed around on B&B are) and that you end up with something you are satisfied with. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I have been curious about the type of glue that is used. It must be some kind of glue! Just curious. I would think most glues would give way eventually because of always having water on it.

Thanks,
Richard

My new shavemac brush has this issue as well. I didn't worry about it because the brush still performs awesomely and it hasn't lost even one hair yet.

This thread made me curious, so I just checked out the shavemac I recently purchased and it has a similar amount of glue on it. It works fine, but I'll definitely keep my eye on it now.

Personally, if it was not my first or only brush, I'd probably keep it unless the glue actually was detrimental to its function.

Or, I'd try to fix it. With a little heat, the glue should soften and become manipulatable. Cheaper and quicker than sending it out, waiting, etc.

Depends who made it.... if it has an intentional glue channel for added rigidity/support (A la BBE) a little glue isn't a big deal. If it's a standard root - it isn't acceptable.

For instance, a simpson chubby feels so rigid because of the glue channel injected into the core (which is further heightened on the chubby by being mounted deeper into the handle and the channel hidden), where as a Savile Row for instance is a standard "root" setup - so to get glue all the way up to the base would be difficult/sloppy work.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom