What's new

Let's all "3017" a puck of DR Harris together .... .... starts 1st February!!

Marlborough update after 66 shaves:

$DSCN7180.jpgView attachment 435434View attachment 435435

Ben

Made about 6 passes worth of great lather with Arlington and the 1305 today. Had a slow, irritation-free, near-BBS shave this morning. Weekends are great.

I'm OUT!

Shave 61 w/Marlborough:
Pacific PSO
Thater Silvertip
Parker shavette
Derby half-blade (new)
SCS Lemon A/S

I had a real tough time loading the brush with enough soap for even the first pass and the lather never got to the texture that I enjoy. Even trying to reload several times just couldn't get me into the zone. It was quite frustrating and this is counter-productive to my zen-like experience that I seek every morning so after the shave I washed the few remnants down the drain. I probably should have done this yesterday.

Regardless of the struggle I did manage a DFS with only minor irritation, which is pretty impressive considering it was my first use of the Parker. I will be reordering some DR Harris pucks in the future, but for now a new formula Floris Elite puck will call the empty bowl home as I have way too much software on hand to justify ordering more soap.

Some closing thoughts on my experiences with DR Harris Marlborough shave soap:
1) It requires more time spent loading than other quality triple-milled soaps that I have experienced. The loading process was enhanced by soaking the puck while I washed and prepared for the shave.
2) DR Harris is not very slick, it will provide adequate glide but a high water:soap ratio was needed to achieve the glide and this put the lather mix into a thin state bordering on over-saturated which can cause the lather to dissipate during the pass. I preferred to stay on the safe side and utilized pre-shave oil to enhance the slickness.
3) The cushion provided by the lather was very good, even when using my open blade razors I rarely had any irritation to speak of.
4) The Marlborough scent is pleasant, with a combination of wood, tobacco and a slight leather hint (my impressions at least) make for a nice old school fragrance. It was more suited to the start of this journey in late Winter than it is now with the weather improving. The strength of the scent is perfect for me, strong enough to notice and enjoy yet not overpowering and lingering after the shave.
5) At $15 for a refill puck that lasted 60 shaves, DRH offers a fair value of $.25 per shave. It isn't a smoking deal, but not one that breaks the bank either.

I hope you gentlemen enjoy the rest of your experience with DR Harris soap, for the most part I surely did. It was a pleasure joining in!

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #67

Saturday Afternoon

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
Razor: Merkur Mergress Short Handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Post: Cold water rinse / witch hazel / brain teaser questions (from my 11 year old daughter)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport AS Lotion / Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Pomade of the Day: Bees Knees
Cologne of the Day: Creed Green Irish Tweed

Ben

Shave #32 with Arlington

• Face lather
  • Cobra Classic with Kai Titan Mild blade with an unknown number of shaves on it plus six more shaves
  • Simpson PJ3 Super
  • Fine RazoRock XXX aftershave splash

D.R. Harris Arlington Shave #50

Prep: Shower / Maggards Pre Shave Oil
Razor: William Morton 6/8 Near Wedge
Brush: M&F Chief in Imitation Ivory
Soap: D.R. Harris Arlington
Method of lather: Face
Quality of lather: Slick
Aftershave: Davidoff Cool Water After Shave Splash
Cologne: Davidoff Cool Water

I tried a PSO today to try to add some slickness. I am just not sure PSO is for me. I have naturally oily/greasy skin anyhow, so this just seems to cause more issues.

The shave was a nice DFS from the Morton.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #68

Sunday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash
Razors: 1949 Eversharp Schick G4 Injector / GEM Flying Wing Micromatic (Bullet Tip)
Blades: Schick Injector SE / GEM Stainless Steel PTFE SE
Brush: Morris & Forndran 1/2 Blonde Badger w/ Faux Horn Handle
Aftershave: Old Spice AS Lotion / Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Pomade of the Day: Bukowski Heavy
Cologne of the Day/Evening: Tom Ford Extreme / Old Spice

Ben

Shave #33 with Arlington

• Face lather
  • Cobra Classic with Kai Titan Mild blade with an unknown number of shaves on it plus seven more shaves
  • Simpson Harvard 3 Somerset
  • Fine RazoRock XXX aftershave splash

D.R. Harris Arlington Shave #51

Prep: Shower / Noxzema
Razor: Dubl Duck Pearlduck 5/8
Brush: M&F Chief in Imitation Ivory
Aftershave: GFT Coral Skin Food + Aquamans Slap (2/3 AV + 1/3 Osage)

I had to work to get my DFS this morning, but didn't get any extra irritation for the extra work.

I can feel that I'm definitely eating up the soap with every shave now. I'm anxious to get this done, but I've been enjoying the shaves. I can see why guys would drop out or give up on 3017ing a product if it was a bad product, but DRH soap for me is excellent. I've been using boar, horse and badger brushes with the soap, and I get a great lather with all three..... but yesterday I switched back to my Blonde Badger after having used boar for a while and the lather just really exploded with minimal effort. My M&F brush is a lather making machine though..... not too dense so it has great flow through so when you get the right amount of water for whatever product you are using, the lather just pops. The only other product I have given the 3017 treatment to was a stick of Valobra, and I ended up giving up on using boar brushes to lather that soap..... and stuck to nothing but badger. I don't know if it was because of it being in stick form, or if it was the actual soap itself..... but nothing but badger for that one. Not so with the DRH soap..... it's easy to make great lather either way.

Ben

Switched to a boar myself this morning (Semogue 1305 from a Shavemac D01 fan) and got another "right out of the blocks" great lather. I'm just settled in to the expectation of a perfect lather every day now, regardless of which brush I reach for.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #69

Monday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
Razor: Merkur Mergress
Brush: Rooney Heritage Stubby 2 Two Band Super Badger
Aftershave: D.R. Harris Marlborough AS Lotion / Acca Kappa Cedro AS Emulsion
Pomade of the Day: Schmiere Rumble 59 "Sailor Edition" Mittel
Cologne of the Evening: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

Ben

D.R. Harris Arlington Shave #52

Prep: Shower / Kiss My Face Lavender
Razor: W&B 7/8 Wedge
Brush: RazoRock Amici
Aftershave: GFT Sandalwood Skin Food + Honeybee Gardens Sandalwood Splash

I have been using Noxzema as a pre-shave to see if it added any slickness. I am not sure it was adding slickness, so I decided to try something new (to me), that was recommended by another member: Kiss My Face cream. I used just a dab and rubbed it into my face, kind of like a pre-shave, and lathered the Arlington right over it. It seemed to work pretty good. If nothing else, it made a super lather with the Arlington, which helped in the slickness department.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
2.5 months into my Arlington. I'm still loving the scent, but also still wishing for some additional slickness.

The Arlington is pretty much done. I have about 2 grams pressed into the middle of my bowl and I can no longer get my brush decently loaded. I will super lather on top of the remaining bits for the next few days, I am thinking about using some Musgo Real Oak Moss.

Totals are in, 67 shaves and about 70 total lathers. I cheated three times, and I can honestly say I preferred my cheat days to my DRH days.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #70

Tuesday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Facial Scrub
Razor: 1938-45 Gillette Tech w/ Fat Handle
Brush: Semogue 2013 Barbear Classico Mistura LE
Aftershave: D.R. Harris Sandalwood AS Lotion / Penhaligon's Endymion AS Balm
Pomade of the Day: High Life Voodoo Brew II w/ Bees Knees Light
Cologne of the Evening: Penhaligon's Endymion

Ben

D.R. Harris Arlington Shave #53

Prep: Shower / KMF Lavender
Razor: Wagner 5/8 Hollow
Brush: Wolf Whisker Coffee & Cream with TGN 24mm Finest Fan
Aftershave: Fine Clean Vetiver

I kept the brush a bit wetter this morning in the attempt to get it a bit slicker. I added a thin layer of KMF, sort of as a pre-shave, to help with the slickness as well. The lather was definitely thinner. I was throwing it all over the bathroom :lol: I am not sure it made it any slicker though...

Top Bottom