What's new

Let's all "3017" a puck of DR Harris together .... .... starts 1st February!!

Gotta think it's about to start diminishing pretty quick. It is soft, soft, soft. Lotsa water absorbed through the puck, and now that it's been grated it should be even more so. But we'll see.

Shave #0: 113.3 g
Shave #16: 138.3 g
Shave #30: 122.9 g

Even though I've kept my puck covered between shaves and add some water on the top to soak the top before each loading, the surface is still quite hard. I tried pressing down with my finger and didn't made an indent.

At this rate, 30 shaves in two months, and assuming 100 shaves total, I'll be done sometime in September.

D.R. Harris Arlington Shave #46

Prep: Shower / Proraso Green Pre-Shave Cream
Razor: Genco Master Cutler
Brush: RazoRock Amici
Soap: D.R. Harris Arlington
Method of lather: Face
Quality of lather: Slick
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash

A nice DFS from the little razor. I did a good job accounting for the small size/weight, today.

I'm starting to really miss some of my other soaps now. (You guys are my support group so you have to listen) Don't get me wrong, DRH is great. I've gotten nothing but great lather and great shaves from this soap. The Marlborough scent is okay..... but it wore out its welcome quite a while ago. I've been getting by by mixing up the aftershaves and exposing myself to a variety a scents with those. But man what I wouldn't give to lather up some MdC Fougere right now. Maybe some Penhaligon's Sartorial...... hell, even Proraso!

Ben

Shave #0: 113.3 g
Shave #16: 138.3 g
Shave #30: 122.9 g

Even though I've kept my puck covered between shaves and add some water on the top to soak the top before each loading, the surface is still quite hard. I tried pressing down with my finger and didn't made an indent.

At this rate, 30 shaves in two months, and assuming 100 shaves total, I'll be done sometime in September.

Certainly similar usage re: total weight to what I've experienced.

I wonder if the gap between my puck and wooden bowl helped hydrate the soap from below more, and contributed to its overall softness? Looks like you've got a pretty good seal all around the glass bowl there.

I'm starting to really miss some of my other soaps now. (You guys are my support group so you have to listen) Don't get me wrong, DRH is great. I've gotten nothing but great lather and great shaves from this soap. The Marlborough scent is okay..... but it wore out its welcome quite a while ago. I've been getting by by mixing up the aftershaves and exposing myself to a variety a scents with those. But man what I wouldn't give to lather up some MdC Fougere right now. Maybe some Penhaligon's Sartorial...... hell, even Proraso!

Ben

Ha! I picked Lavender because it was the scent I was least likely to fall in love with, just to make it a challenge. I've found that I get a nice burst of scent when I first start face-lathering, then it tapers off (or the nose gets familiar with it...) and I focus on the lather itself. Been pretty nice, actually.

And by nice, I don't just mean aromatic, but that I like the scent. With the lavender, I also like the taper, something I may not say about Arlington or Windsor.

Certainly similar usage re: total weight to what I've experienced.

I wonder if the gap between my puck and wooden bowl helped hydrate the soap from below more, and contributed to its overall softness? Looks like you've got a pretty good seal all around the glass bowl there.

Yeah, I soaked my puck overnight in the glass bowl before starting so it expanded to fill the bowl. If you've got a gap, that would probably do it.

Ben

Ben, I would love to be your sponsor, but I have taken to cheating on the DRH twice a week and don't feel that I am capable of offering you the support you seek. I also freely admit that this 3017 fad is not to my liking and although I may start using my soaps and creams for a few days in a row to really get the lather dialed in, I will not attempt to subject myself to another monogamous relationship with any shaving product. I understand others' justification for doing so and the rush of finishing off a product every other month or so might be enough of an endorphin kick to keep them on the wagon, however I am young and perhaps a bit ADD so I will be fooling around with as many different soaps and creams as soon as this remnant of soap is finished off. Good luck!

Shave 57 with Marlborough:

Argos (Muehle/HJM) Pure Bristle brush
Red/Black Bakelite slant
Polsilver Stainless (7)
Witch Hazel
Turkish Lemon aftershave
Michaelangelo Bellagio (sp?) EdT

Yet another great lather and BBS shave with three passes plus some touch-ups.

Ha! I picked Lavender because it was the scent I was least likely to fall in love with, just to make it a challenge. I've found that I get a nice burst of scent when I first start face-lathering, then it tapers off (or the nose gets familiar with it...) and I focus on the lather itself. Been pretty nice, actually.

And by nice, I don't just mean aromatic, but that I like the scent. With the lavender, I also like the taper, something I may not say about Arlington or Windsor.

After witnessing firsthand the continuous wonderful lather of DRH soaps, I would purchase a bowl of the lavender scent, whereas before I did not because of all the really great lavender soaps out there.... who really needs another one? But, someday, I'd like to give the DRH Lavender a try. Almond as well.

Ben

Ben, I would love to be your sponsor, but I have taken to cheating on the DRH twice a week and don't feel that I am capable of offering you the support you seek. I also freely admit that this 3017 fad is not to my liking and although I may start using my soaps and creams for a few days in a row to really get the lather dialed in, I will not attempt to subject myself to another monogamous relationship with any shaving product. I understand others' justification for doing so and the rush of finishing off a product every other month or so might be enough of an endorphin kick to keep them on the wagon, however I am young and perhaps a bit ADD so I will be fooling around with as many different soaps and creams as soon as this remnant of soap is finished off. Good luck!

Shave 57 with Marlborough:

Argos (Muehle/HJM) Pure Bristle brush
Red/Black Bakelite slant
Polsilver Stainless (7)
Witch Hazel
Turkish Lemon aftershave
Michaelangelo Bellagio (sp?) EdT

Yet another great lather and BBS shave with three passes plus some touch-ups.

I'm such a soap whore..... but I'm glad to see that my feelings of promiscuity are not exculsive to myself!! :lol:

And yet..... I will remain steadfast in this 3017 endevour. I will just be a crank from time to time until it's over.

Ben

Ben - Chubby 2 and get 'er done!

Took off at least a couple weeks life from mine and provided lathergasms every time. Mine's a shedder though - which sucks.

I'd like to give the DRH Lavender a try. Almond as well.

Ben
A word of caution, Ben. Don't get DRH almond with thoughts of Cella or any of the Italian marzipan almond scents in your head. It's a dry, almost bitter almond scent. Scent is probably the most YMMV aspect of shaving products, but for me the DRH Almond was instant PIF material.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #63

Tuesday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
Razor: 1952 X1 Gillette Tech w/ Fat Handle
Blade: Feather
Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Williams Aqua Velva / Calani Simply Soap AS Balsam
Cologne: Dunhill Edition
Pomade: Grandad's Heavyweight

Ben

I think that infrequent dalliance with other products is reasonable. If you check the 3017 thread, that kind of thing happened often enough. (Yes, I have read the whole thing--it's entertaining.) It was never a club or any such thing with hard and fast rules--the spirit just seems to be, reduce your soap collection by using predominantly one product at a time.

Anyway, I've long since lost count of my DRH Arlington shaves, but it's a lot. Today I used a Semogue 1305, which I purchased a year ago but just started using regularly in March. It has gotten wonderfully soft and always makes a fantastic lather.

I also tried a DE for essentially the first time (regularly a straight guy). I was expecting a slightly closer shave, since I'm not skilled enough to hone my straights up to DE blade sharpness, but actually it was just about equal. Certainly faster. I expect the shaves will get closer as my technique improves. Anyone who uses both, care to comment on that?

I also tried a DE for essentially the first time (regularly a straight guy). I was expecting a slightly closer shave, since I'm not skilled enough to hone my straights up to DE blade sharpness, but actually it was just about equal. Certainly faster. I expect the shaves will get closer as my technique improves. Anyone who uses both, care to comment on that?

I use both regularly. Really depends on the DE, the straight and how good you are with both. A Feather DX vs. a blue tip super speed -- yeah, Feather wins. R41 vs. a straight that may need a trip to the CrOx strop? R41 will win. I get about equal closeness with my really well honed straights vs. my PILS. The PILS is easier, faster but not by much -- 5 minutes faster tops and that includes stropping time. I've never had a straight that could approach how close the Cobra shaves except maybe the Feather DX but many would argue that's not a 'real' straight. I'd bet over time you'd find a medium aggressive to aggressive DE to be just a hair closer given the same number of passes.

I like them all but tend to use straights 75% of the time. I just like the experience more. I shave every day so 100% BBS close is not necessarily the goal. Comfortable, irritation free DFS is AOK and either will get me there.

D.R. Harris Arlington Shave #47

Prep: Shower / Noxzema
Razor: Wagner 5/8 Hollow
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Coffee & Cream with TGN 24mm Finest Fan
Soap: D.R. Harris Arlington
Method of lather: Face
Quality of lather: Slick
Aftershave: GFT Sandalwood Skin Food + Honeybee Gardens Sandalwood Splash

I got a really nice lather today which helped with a less than optimal blade.

Today I used a Semogue 1305, which I purchased a year ago but just started using regularly in March. It has gotten wonderfully soft and always makes a fantastic lather.

The 1305 is one of the brushes in my rotation that, when its turn comes up and I start building the first lather on my face that week, I grin like an idiot. I always make sure I start that shave when SWMBO isn't in the bathroom with, since she already thinks I'm a bit "tetched in the haid" about shaving...

Last edited:
Shave #31 with Arlington

• Face lather
  • Cobra Classic with Kai Titan Mild blade with an unknown number of shaves on it plus five more shaves
  • Simpson Somerset Lamp Black Tulip 3 Super
  • Fine American Blend aftershave splash

Top Bottom