What's new

Getting lather to stay at the tip

I've been noticing, lately, that all my lather ends up too far down the brush towards the handle, and as a result, I have to periodically squeeze it up towards the top of the bristles.

I don't like doing this, and I know its not something I should have to do. From what I've been reading, adding a few pumps could help me keep the lather on the tip of the brush.

However, I'm cautious to do this, because I feel like I could damage my brush. So, this is a question for those of you who have been using the same brush for a long time... does pumping cause damage over time? Or should I stop worrying about this and Just Do It™?

I pump every morning and have seen no negative effects to my unit.

I also push my brush downward into the bowl of lather without any damage to the hair at all.:tongue: :rolleyes: :tongue:

Hi Leslie,
This depends a bit on how ploppy your brush is but it is typically a good idea to try and load your whole brush rather than just keeping the lather at the tips. Otherwise you are not utilizing the water stored at the base of the bristle by the handle. A few good pumps will not harm your brush if it is of sufficient craftsmanship. I throw several pumps into each batch of lather and have not noticed any ill results.
Cheers,
Jeff

mrob said:

I also push my brush downward into the bowl of lather without any damage to the hair at all.:tongue: :rolleyes: :tongue:
Two minutes. Must be a new B&B record.

Thanks for the reassurance. (and the very fast replies!)

That brings up another question. The only times I've done anything besides twisting is by sort of slide-pumping the bristles against the side of the bowl.

We're talking about straight up-down pumping right? So the bristles all bend outward? :eek: Sounds crazy enough that it just might work. :tongue:

Sorry, I'm just naturally over-cautious. I will give it a try tomorrow morning!

Yep, straight up and down. Pump away (insert your favorite of many possible off color jokes here).
Cheers,
Jeff

:scared:
Leslie be afraid, very afraid of the responses that are sure to come. Time to protect the women and children - no peeking.

Yeah, unless you're using a very fragile brush they can really take a lot of mashing. I think they actually like it.:biggrin:

mrob said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks everyone, here's to pumping out massive loads of cream in the morning :lol: :lol:

(sorry i couldn't help myself)

well, that helped a lot. i also learned to push the brush down on my face. before that, i was just treating it like a paintbrush. much better coverage now. i also added a few more passes. the result: my best shave yet. :thumbup1:

You've got some good advice (and some bad jokes). Also keep in mind that certain brushes have a propensity to want to hold on to lather rather than deposit it on your face. You'll have to buy several more to learn your way around :wink: :lol:

Scotto said:
You've got some good advice (and some bad jokes). Also keep in mind that certain brushes have a propensity to want to hold on to lather rather than deposit it on your face. You'll have to buy several more to learn your way around :wink: :lol:

Good advice and bad jokes: this more or less describes the good things about hanging out with/chatting with male friends, does it not?

You've got some good advice (and some bad jokes). Also keep in mind that certain brushes have a propensity to want to hold on to lather rather than deposit it on your face. You'll have to buy several more to learn your way around

I'm using a Vulfix #2233 super badger, and it definitely seems to like to hold on to lather. I'm fine with it for now, but I might get another brush in the future. Any recommendations on brands that might "let go" of lather better? Or maybe there is a prior thread on this that I missed? :cool:

My Simpsons PJ3 in Super holds amazing amounts of water and releases lather onto the face like a champ--the lather stays pretty warm even without heroic measures, and the brush rinses nicely every time to boot.

[I can already hear Scotto's fingers on his keyboard, tapping out, "s-y-c-o-p-. . ."]

mrob said:
My Simpsons PJ3 in Super holds amazing amounts of water and releases lather onto the face like a champ--the lather stays pretty warm even without heroic measures, and the brush rinses nicely every time to boot.

[I can already hear Scotto's fingers on his keyboard, tapping out, "s-y-c-o-p-. . ."]
:lol:

I definately agree on the practice of pumping the brush while lathering. I noticed a few weeks ago while reading some of the method shaving info that it calls for getting much more of the brush pushed down into the lather. I started doing this and it's amazing the difference it makes.

Top Bottom