What's new

Any licorice lovers?

Any other lovers of black licorice? If so, what are your favourites?

I love dubbelzoute drop (double salted licorice) and honingdrop (black licorice with honey).

Yes, I know that it's bad for your blood pressure, and contains massive amounts of sugar and salt, so enjoy wisely!

proxy.php

(my favorite ... dubbelzoute drop!)

Last edited:
As a fellow dutchman, I know what you are talking about.

I like those mildly salt big fishes and cats (have not found those for a while though) and have a soft spot for trekdrop (jerk licorice?)

Trekdrop! I haven't seen that in ages! I love chewing "zoethout" as well.

Now that you say it, "drop" may be something typically Dutch? I can't remember having seen much of it in other European countries, except the Nordics.

Of course those countries have their tasty local specialties as well!

Last edited:
I've always wanted to try Scandinavian licorice. No such luck stateside. I am a fan of the flavor and enjoy the mildly sweet candies imported or otherwise manufactured here. Licorice tea is also very good for cold and cough.

I've always wanted to try Scandinavian licorice. No such luck stateside. I am a fan of the flavor and enjoy the mildly sweet candies imported or otherwise manufactured here. Licorice tea is also very good for cold and cough.

I had salted licorice in Stockholm a few times (even licorice icecream!). It is similar to the licorice sold here in the Netherlands.

Yeah, I was in London not long ago for work purposes and stopped by a few confectionary shops near Canary Wharf and bought some candy. Being that the area and the general business all of it was mostly natural and still hand made. Had a delightful first time experience with "licorice" allsorts, tasty but not the real thing. Another shop had two kinds, the plain plant extract and one with aniseed oil in addition to the licorice extract. It was heaven. Chateau D'lanz exports licorice candy to the states but by the time the shipments get into stores they're hard as rocks. The flavor isn't typically popular here. I believe it was many eons ago.

I love licorice, but not the really salty ones. They are just too "out" there for me. Sourcing them can be an issue, since the typcial American sweet tooth does not like most licorice's, let alone any that are not sweet.

I love licorice, but not the really salty ones. They are just too "out" there for me. Sourcing them can be an issue, since the typcial American sweet tooth does not like most licorice's, let alone any that are not sweet.

the saltier the better! :lol:

There's a Dutch shop north of where we live, we visit a couple of times a year (must.... have... restraint...) and I buy a pound or two of black licorice everytime. I like the sweet stuff, not the salty.
They ship all over, it is fresh as inventory is turned over all the time... mmmmmm licorice...

Licorice is your friend. Most of the time I have something anise based in my electronic cigarette ^^. Guava & Anise nom nom nom

Yeah I've had that and its good! I think its available at Target stores here in the US.

Tis an Australian export, IIRC. I was interested in the brand but recalled a lead warning showing up last year and then staying away from Kookoobarra.

I like these a lot. They are tiny. Now I don't know where to get them, other than Italy.

$Perfetti_tabu_tin.jpg

Cachou are very similar, including the tin, and I can find them easily enough.

If you like Tabu, you'll like Potter's too! Potter's are even more concentrated, and very popular for soothing a sore throat.

Tabu is just a licorice flavored pastille. I've bought them here before. They're like La Vie de La Vosgienne pastilles if you've ever had them. Potters which I've read about if menthol and licorice combined. I'm told it's similar to Fisherman's Friend drops.

Top Bottom