What's new

Any licorice lovers?

That's not the Tabu I remember ... aren't they the small condensed licorice blocks?

No colored and sweetened stuff for me :wink2:

I like liquorice, both the sweet kind and Nipits which are pure liquorice pellets. One of the guys at work is Norwegian and he brought in some salmiak, that stuff is foul! The liquorice was nice and I could get on with the salt but the flavour of ammonia was just wrong, I don't want sweets that taste like urine. :blink: It must be a regional thing, he liked them but everyone else in the office thought they were horrible.

I think Pontefract cakes might be my favourite.

One of the guys at work is Norwegian and he brought in some salmiak, that stuff is foul!

I gently disagree ... when we got that as kids, salmiak always was a huge treat! I mean the satchels with salmiak powder.

Or are you talking about salmiak flavored licorice? That is great too. But I think it is a regional thing in Northern Europe.

Last edited:
Tabu is just a licorice flavored pastille. I've bought them here before. They're like La Vie de La Vosgienne pastilles if you've ever had them. Potters which I've read about if menthol and licorice combined. I'm told it's similar to Fisherman's Friend drops.

Tabu has a few different products, so you may have tried a different one. The one in the picture is pretty much just licorice: "tranchetti di liquirizia purissima."

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I gently disagree ... when we got that as kids, salmiak always was a huge treat! I mean the satchels with salmiak powder.

Or are you talking about salmiak flavored licorice? That is great too. But I think it is a regional thing in Northern Europe.

As a kid I enjoyed HARIBO Salmiak Pastillen....

I love Kookaburra (Darrel Lea, I guess) and a couple locally-made soft licorices. I also like the salted fish, but the dubbelzout coins are beyond me. I support your right to like what you like, but when I tried one it was in my mouth for less than 5 seconds before being reflexively expelled. I am quite happy that there is a store in Lincoln (about an hour from where I live) that sells nothing but licorice. I've tried allsorts (or at least what is passed off as allsorts in the Midwestern US), and wasn't really thrilled. My favorite is a local variety, a riff on Aussie style: Pure licorice root extract, buckwheat flour, powdered mastic crystals, and blackstrap molasses. Two pieces are about all I can ever eat at one time, it's so intense. But it would definitely be part of my last meal.

Last edited:
:001_smile

proxy.php

Double salted!

This one brings back childhood memories from Finland, where I was born and raised a long time ago.

Still easily my best tasting licorice!

$Salmiakki.jpg

I love black licorice. Unfortunately there isn't much selection where I live except for Panda and the stuff they label as licorice.

I beg to differ. Dutch licorice is salty. 'Real' licorice is intensely dark, black, tarry, and beyond words, but it is not salty at all.

I beg to differ. Dutch licorice is salty. 'Real' licorice is intensely dark, black, tarry, and beyond words, but it is not salty at all.

Dutch drop is salty. Norwegian lakris is salty. Swedish lakrits is salty. Finnish salmiakki is deliciously salty.

The Scandinavians even sell salty licorice flavored ice cream! Any comments? :001_tongu

I think i would like salty licorice ice cream very much. It sounds delicious. and i like dutch drop. but 'real' licorice it is not!! Real licorice is not salty.

Top Bottom