What's new

A Year of Queen Charlotte Soaps

About how long is a bar lasting you then?
Edit:

NM, I went back to the post where you started and did the math. lol

I thought you'd get a lot longer on a bar.

About how long is a bar lasting you then?
Edit:

NM, I went back to the post where you started and did the math. lol

I thought you'd get a lot longer on a bar.

It's hard to judge how long it really lasts. Depending on workout schedules I'm often taking a shower before work and another after a late afternoon run or bike ride. I use a lot of sunscreen and usually end up using a lot more soap then I probably could. The women in the house like QCS soaps as well so I'm likely not the only one working down the bar.

Having the bar in a place where it can dry and not get constantly splattered by water also for me dramatically increases the life of artisan soap.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying the Cedarwood Rosemary Shampoo Bar. The first half of the bar is a little more that halfway done. It produces superior lather and smells great. Probably my favorite shampoo bar at this point.

Last edited:
The shampoo bars last quite a long time. I think I could use 3 per year and be fine. The body bars don't last very long imo. My wife and I both use it, so that's 2 showers/day, but I don't think 2 bars a month would quite cut it for us. The bars are left on a draining rack and don't get wet FWIW. I love the scents and performance, I just wish they lasted longer.

Jeff can you explain shampoo bars to me? Why the vinegar rinse? Nice reviews so far :thumbup:

Sure, thanks for the question. Because it saves you money of course! :001_rolle

All kidding aside, I have been using shampoo bars and artisan soap for about 18 months. For me it's using real soap vs detergents and products with less ingredients and less complex ingredients. I also like the minimalist aspect and they are nice to travel with.

There's a great shampoo bar wiki entry that I'll copy the introduction from.
Shampoo bars, simply, are like regular shampoo for your hair but in a solid "bar of soap" form. They are not detergent or hand soap, but shampoo. You might think of them as, more-or-less, like your regular bottled shampoo with all the unnecessary water removed. Like hand or bath soaps, shampoo bars come in different shapes, weights, and price points. Unlike most commercial soaps and liquid shampoos, the ingredients available in solid shampoo are of much greater variety and possibly of greater benefit to the user.

In terms of the rinse, here's what the shampoo bar wiki has to say
To ease the transition, it can also be helpful to perform a "vinegar rinse" after every shampooing, or at least every couple of days. Recipes can be found around the web, but all-in-all, they consist of rinsing your hair with plain vinegar after rinsing out the shampoo. The vinegar is allowed to sit in the hair for a short while and it is then rinsed out with plain water. The vinegar smell evaporates quickly and should not be of concern. The idea behind this is that the acidity of the vinegar (which is acetic acid and water) cuts through the styling product or hard water build up which may remain on your hair. If you regularly use strong styling products (such as "wet look" gel or hair spray), you may find it beneficial to do a vinegar rinse on a regular basis even after the adjustment period. Many styling products are not easily water soluble and so may present something of a challenge for non-SLS/SLES shampoos. In this case, performing a vinegar rinse once a week or every few days, depending on need, is usually sufficient. This will also be useful in the case of having hard water. Others may find a vinegar rinse to be unnecessary.

I'm doing the vinegar rinse less and less and just conditioning occasionally.

Here's a couple of threads from the wiki. There's more recent ones that tread the same ground.

A couple more on rinses

Last edited:
Sure, thanks for the question. Because it saves you money of course! :001_rolle

All kidding aside, I have been using shampoo bars and artisan soap for about 18 months. For me it's using real soap vs detergents and products with less ingredients and less complex ingredients. I also like the minimalist aspect and they are nice to travel with.

There's a great shampoo bar wiki entry that I'll copy the introduction from.

In terms of the rinse, here's what the shampoo bar wiki has to say

I'm doing the vinegar rinse less and less and just conditioning occasionally.

Here's a couple of threads from the wiki. There's more recent ones that tread the same ground.

Thanks for the thorough explanation, now I wanna try a shampoo bar and hair conditioner bar :thumbup:
I understand the vinegar rinse now. Luckily I have short hair (in fact I need to buzz it again) and I don't use products.

See, I love the idea of shampoo bars, but I have a pretty consistent dandruff issue, so I've used the dandruff fighting shampoo for about 25 years now. I've tried to switch to others, and such, but nothing else seems to work to keep that in check. :(

See, I love the idea of shampoo bars, but I have a pretty consistent dandruff issue, so I've used the dandruff fighting shampoo for about 25 years now. I've tried to switch to others, and such, but nothing else seems to work to keep that in check. :(
What kind of shampoo you using? Head and Shoulders is garbage and can actually worsen dandruff. The stuff I use is Nizoral which you use about once every 1-2 weeks I believe. Keeps dandruff at bay.

Hrm.. good to note.. I'll have to look into that one then. Yeah, I've been using the H&S all this time. I never ran into issues with it, and it definitely kept the dandruff at bay all this time, so it seemed to be working as I expected it to.

Hrm.. good to note.. I'll have to look into that one then. Yeah, I've been using the H&S all this time. I never ran into issues with it, and it definitely kept the dandruff at bay all this time, so it seemed to be working as I expected it to.
Problem with H&S is it prolongs the problem. It doesn't actually really fix it. Nizoral you use every 4days until the dandruff is gone, and then once every 1-2weeks just to make sure it stays gone. Awesome stuff!

Problem with H&S is it prolongs the problem. It doesn't actually really fix it. Nizoral you use every 4days until the dandruff is gone, and then once every 1-2weeks just to make sure it stays gone. Awesome stuff!

Apologies to JeffJ for the minor thread hijack here... lol I have the Nizoral on my shopping list for this weekend. I'll happily just bin the remainder of the bottle of H&S and start looking again into shampoo and conditioner bars now as well. Excellent!

Apologies to JeffJ for the minor thread hijack here... lol I have the Nizoral on my shopping list for this weekend. I'll happily just bin the remainder of the bottle of H&S and start looking again into shampoo and conditioner bars now as well. Excellent!
My apologies to you too JeffJ. I hope the Nizoral works for you, it certainly has for me.

This is my QCS shampoo bar, after a couple month's use.
Notice the dome-shaped indent!
It's a nice shampoo soap.
Initially, really enjoyed the almond scent.
But since they use EO's, that scent is basically nil now, since the EO's evaporate over time.
As Matthew has explained to me.
But still a nice shampoo.
FWIW, I don't use any rinse or additional conditioner.
No problem, although for some reason, my hair continues to gray and thin!

So, what should I try next??

$20140102_144325457_iOS.jpg

This is my QCS shampoo bar, after a couple month's use.
Notice the dome-shaped indent!
It's a nice shampoo soap.
Initially, really enjoyed the almond scent.
But since they use EO's, that scent is basically nil now, since the EO's evaporate over time.
As Matthew has explained to me.
But still a nice shampoo.
FWIW, I don't use any rinse or additional conditioner.
No problem, although for some reason, my hair continues to gray and thin!

So, what should I try next??

View attachment 407771

Nice! Mine have divots as well.

If available, I'd probably buy an unscented QCS shampoo bar.

Here's how I rank the shampoo bars that I've tried (YMMV)
Cedarwood Rosemary
Dark Lavender
Orange Spice
Tea Tree Lavender

I'd replace the first three for sure.

Last edited:
My favorite shampoo bars are Peppermint & Eucalyptus, and Cedarwood/Rosemary. The Peppermint is awesome in the summer. I pair it with the Bronners peppermint soap and it's very cool and refreshing.

Top Bottom