What's new

Talk me out of a slant razor

apologies with my erroneous comparison - I should have compared the maiden/guillotine to the Halifax Gibbet or axehead.

A pic is worth, well you know ...

proxy.php

I'm not a pro, and maybe I just haven't found a good razor & blade combination...
but I have yet to get a good, irritation-free shave from the 39c I own.

I really want to use it more frequently, but I only get brave enough once every two or three weeks.

I get great shaves with other DE razors - and maybe this is the wrong slant for me.

Got any friends local so you can try before you buy?

"Radial rake" refers to the relation of a cutting edge to the radius of a spinning tool like a cutting head in a milling machine, as opposed to "axial rake," which would be the relation of that edge to the axis of the tool. A razor is operating in a plane. The relevant angle is the angle of the cutting edge to the direction of travel.

The only other angle that a torsion slant introduces at all is the minor variation in the angle of the blade body itself over the width of the blade. But the effect from that would be miniscule to non-existent since any one whisker would only see that change across its own width -- literally the width of a human hair.

Thing is, by what you are saying, the guillotine stroke, or Gillette slide, that you so professed earlier is entirely useless. While a slicing motion is generally better, the Gillette Slide only applies such a motion across the width of a human hair,and no more than 45 degrees as otherwise you would just be slicing your skin. I agree that a Guillotine cut is not maximized when the blade is so big against such a small hair, but if you consider the Gillette Slide better to normal razoring, you must realize that the slant, although almost negligible in comparison to the width of a hair, is also advantageous.

I'm not a pro, and maybe I just haven't found a good razor & blade combination...
but I have yet to get a good, irritation-free shave from the 39c I own.

I really want to use it more frequently, but I only get brave enough once every two or three weeks.

I get great shaves with other DE razors - and maybe this is the wrong slant for me.

Got any friends local so you can try before you buy?

Nope.... so I guess I'll buy something cheap like the Merkur, and then if i end up liking it, I can pick up something nicer like the Ikon

No.

I'm arriving late to this discussion, and I won't try to talk you out of a slant, because I want one too. If you get one, then I won't be the only one (perpetually) succumbing to temptation. Personally, I'm holding out for the Razorock slant, because I know that it will be both affordable and high quality.

Want to know the truth, just buy one... They are just about the most risk-free DE investment not a gillette adjustable because they are so easy to get your cash back out of if you decide it isn't for you.

Where can I go to buy a 37G? The gold slant.

Can't, at least new from what I've seen. I snagged one here a few weeks ago. Check the bay. I didn't want the 37c because I have the 34hd and 11c. Wanted something different. Glad I got it. The 37 shaves wonderfully. Joe at IB is coming out w a Razorock model.....

If you're going to get one, I'd suggest getting a 'regular' Merkur Slant. Vintage may be better than new, but I've found the recent Merkur Slants to be well-made.

The only slant I cannot recommend is the iKon. It is expensive, and I found it to be a mediocre shaver. It is pretty, though. This is one of those situations where spending more money doesn't necessarily buy you a better shave.

Had my first slant shave yesterday with a 37C-awesome. I have a moderate beard and sensitive skin. My problem area is under my chin-grows all crazy. The slant shave was vastly superior to my OC shaves. I also tried a SI blade, because most of the slant posts mention going with a sharper blade. The SI in my other razors are not for me-in the slant it was a match made in heaven. Technique is important too. My shaves of the last year have jumped in quality as I learned from you guys to lighten the pressure and let the razor do the work

I would get one. I have the 37C, 38C, and iKon slant. I love them all. I would recommend the Merkur 37C for a first. It's very nice, easy to use, and the price is right, IMO. If you found you didn't like the slant I don't think you would have a hard time selling it.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Why would I talk you out of a slant razor? I use a Merkur 37c daily.
It's awesome!

Light touch, and I find the handle likes to be slightly closer to the face vs a straight de. Give it a couple of days growth the first time. They are epic on 2 or 3 days worth.

Top Bottom