What's new

The Official Carve Your Own Pipe exhibition thread

UPDATE on the 'group buy' from VT Freehand. Since this turned out to be a little different than a typical contest, with a much longer timeframe, Steve has offered up a KILLER deal, but only for a limited time (until the end of this month). I'm waiting on some photos from him, which I'll have tomorrow.. once I get the pics, I'll post up all the details. This is going to make those of us who are looking to keep the cost down VERY happy! Sorry for the delay, but it took a bit to work out the deal.. it'll be worth the wait!

Thanks for doing all the dealings with him. Excited to hear more!

OK, here are the details on the VT Freehand group buy!

- Medium ebauchon kits, in your choice of straight or bent - $15 ea. (other than choosing straight or bent, kits are randomly selected)
- Upgrade to a churchwarden stem, which will be machined to fit the kit - $3
- CONUS shipping for up to 5 kits - $5
- International shipping is $15 for first class, and $25 for priority mail. Up to 5 kits can be mailed with the priority option.

This deal is just for us, and good through the end of January, 2014. You can still order kits after that, but the price will go up to $20 ea. (which is still lower than his normal price, so the $15/kit is a STEAL!)

*IMPORTANT* Please make sure to mention that you are from B&B in order to get our deal!

To place orders, contact Steve at VT Freehand: [email protected]

Specs:
choice of bore size, 3/4 or 7/8
regular stem - 2 1/2" (plus tenon) x 9/16" diameter
churchwarden - 7 3/4" (plus tenon) x 1/2" diameter
block size approx.; 3 1/4" long x 2 1/4" tall x 1 3/4" wide

$006.jpg

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I had this old kit that I kinda sorta started, about 10 years ago. The stem is pretty oxidized.

This is my starting point.

$002.jpg$003.jpg

An aged kit! Nice!!

I just placed an order from VT Freehand for 3 kits! One straight, one bent and another bent with a churchwarden stem. 3/4 bore on the churchwarden and 7/8 on the others. I'm hoping to not screw these up, but at least I'm prepared!

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I was going to try claw and egg, decided that was not going to work. Went simple instead. I shortened the shank and redrilled the mortise. Ok for a first try, a freehand would have been cooler, maybe next time. Some scratches are still visible, so I may sand and refinish again. The amount of briar around the mortise is pretty thin, I expect it will crack with rigorous use.

Edit: Some updated pics after sanding again...

$005.jpg

$007.jpg

$009.jpg

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
See my PIMO Pipe Crafting book PIF thread. Reply to that post to be considered for the PIF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom