What's new

The Official Carve Your Own Pipe exhibition thread

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am looking at Tinsky kits. Some of them have the option of a lucite stem. Are there benefits/drawbacks to lucite over vulcanite? Anyone know which was used on the 2013 LE?

I have been talking to Steve at VT Freehand, who has offered a "group buy" for us. This will not be a conventional group buy, but more of a group discount. It will be for his medium ebauchon kits with some stem options as well. This is not the mandatory kit for the project, but will be a good option for those looking for a great deal on a randomly-selected, quality kit. I received the kits I ordered from him last week, and they look great. I'll be posting up all the pricing and ordering details very soon. Sweet!!

+1. If you haven't sourced a kit yourself yet and/or don't have the slightest clue where to look, this will come in handy!

I am looking at Tinsky kits. Some of them have the option of a lucite stem. Are there benefits/drawbacks to lucite over vulcanite? Anyone know which was used on the 2013 LE?

Based on the look and feel of it, the Tinsky 2013 LE is a lucite stem.

Vulcanite is a bit softer, so while more comfortable for some on the teeth, it marks easier. It is also prone to discoloring, almost no matter that you do, it will discolor with a yellowish brown. I do believe I read it doesn't polish up as nice and shiny as lucite, either... harder by far to keep it looking shiny and new (nigh impossible, one pipe reviewer stated on his opinion of it).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Based on the look and feel of it, the Tinsky 2013 LE is a lucite stem.

Vulcanite is a bit softer, so while more comfortable for some on the teeth, it marks easier. It is also prone to discoloring, almost no matter that you do, it will discolor with a yellowish brown. I do believe I read it doesn't polish up as nice and shiny as lucite, either... harder by far to keep it looking shiny and new (nigh impossible, one pipe reviewer stated on his opinion of it).

Thanks. I just downloaded a couple of pics of the shape I am going to be aiming for.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
In addition to what Shave Rat said Vulcanite is easier to shape or reshape than Lucite should you want to do so.

I have been talking to Steve at VT Freehand, who has offered a "group buy" for us. This will not be a conventional group buy, but more of a group discount. It will be for his medium ebauchon kits with some stem options as well. This is not the mandatory kit for the project, but will be a good option for those looking for a great deal on a randomly-selected, quality kit. I received the kits I ordered from him last week, and they look great. I'll be posting up all the pricing and ordering details very soon. Sweet!!
I have worked with Steve and was happy with my experience.

Great work! I'm 50% in pending shipping to Japan.

how funny, my 16yr old son just asked me yesterday, "Dad, weren't we going to enter a pipe carving contest?", and I told him that I'd ask around a bit. Looks like we're in...I'll do one, and he'll do one for me of course :)

$NordingFreehandGroup3BrownGrainPipe35.jpg

found my starting block,.... this may be easier then I thought, should have it done about 5 minutes after I get it

Figured out about what I want to do. Something you don't see too often. Drew up an idea and emailed Mark. I think I'm going to be preemptive and just go ahead and order two right off the bat.

Figured out about what I want to do. Something you don't see too often. Drew up an idea and emailed Mark. I think I'm going to be preemptive and just go ahead and order two right off the bat.

Uh oh boys...we are in trouble!

I may or may not try this. I'll give it a month or two and see how badly everyone else does first. Plus, I'd need to buy like a 5 pack, just to make sure one of them was smokeable. :lol:

UPDATE on the 'group buy' from VT Freehand. Since this turned out to be a little different than a typical contest, with a much longer timeframe, Steve has offered up a KILLER deal, but only for a limited time (until the end of this month). I'm waiting on some photos from him, which I'll have tomorrow.. once I get the pics, I'll post up all the details. This is going to make those of us who are looking to keep the cost down VERY happy! Sorry for the delay, but it took a bit to work out the deal.. it'll be worth the wait!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
UPDATE on the 'group buy' from VT Freehand. Since this turned out to be a little different than a typical contest, with a much longer timeframe, Steve has offered up a KILLER deal, but only for a limited time (until the end of this month). I'm waiting on some photos from him, which I'll have tomorrow.. once I get the pics, I'll post up all the details. This is going to make those of us who are looking to keep the cost down VERY happy! Sorry for the delay, but it took a bit to work out the deal.. it'll be worth the wait!

Awesome! Can't wait!

Top Bottom