What's new

Peterson P-lip and tobacco choice

So I've been using the Peterson Donegal I got in Tokyo a lot recently. I really like the pipe and the P-lip has exceeded my expectations. I have noticed that certain types of baccys are better suited for this pipe, at least IMO.

I always smokes VAs in a new pipe to see if the flavor comes out and if it doesn't make the grade, it will usually be turned into a Latakia pipe or even a Burley blend (Although since I got the Solani Aged burley, I've started most new pipes with that to get a cake going)

After the Burley break in, I only smoked VAs in it at first rotating between OGS, Dunhill Flake, SG FVF and I just couldn't get the same flavors that I get from my other fishtail pipes. By the time the smoke settled on my tongue I felt as if the flavor had already escaped. Almost as if it was wasted on the roof of my mouth where the tastbuds don't receive it.

So I then packed it with a University flake, and it tasted marvelous! I don't know if the VA needed the support of the Burley (or the Plum flavoring) to get going but these two will be matched together from now on. I also smoked FM OTB in this and it tasted better than any other pipe.

Even after smoking the FM and PUF, I put a dunhill flake and just couldn't get the flavor going.

Has anyone else felt like this? Do you have specific tobacco styles for p-lip pipes? Am I imagining this?

Excited to see your responses.

I'm anxious to see the responses, too. I have one P-lipped Pete, and I really want to like it. I love the pipe, but I feel like the P-lip mutes the tobacco. It's been awhile, so I don't even remember what I tried, other than FVF.

Try giving Rattrays Marlin Flake a run in that P-lip.
For some reason I find that I get more flavor out of that one, Irish Flake and Squadron Leader in my Petes wit P-lips.

I'd buy it. The whole idea of the p-lip is to change the smoke to avoid tongue bite (by directing it away from the tonge). By changing the way and temp that it hits the tongue I can only assume that it will change the way your palate receives the notes. You see this kind of effect in coffee and other tastes sometimes too. That being said, I'm all assumptions on this because none of my Petersons's have the p-lip.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'd buy it. The whole idea of the p-lip is to change the smoke to avoid tongue bite (by directing it away from the tonge). By changing the way and temp that it hits the tongue I can only assume that it will change the way your palate receives the notes. You see this kind of effect in coffee and other tastes sometimes too. That being said, I'm all assumptions on this because none of my Petersons's have the p-lip.
Bite is bite. If you are smoking it too hard it will happen. So, do you want the bite on your tongue or the roof of your mouth? Neither. So just slow down.

Try giving Rattrays Marlin Flake a run in that P-lip.
For some reason I find that I get more flavor out of that one, Irish Flake and Squadron Leader in my Petes wit P-lips.

I've got 2 of those three, so I'll be giving them a try. I can see Squadron Leader and other full flavored English blends working well.. thanks for the tip. And thanks for bringing this up, Senshi.. I've been needing to revisit my Pete.

Bite is bite. If you are smoking it too hard it will happen. So, do you want the bite on your tongue or the roof of your mouth? Neither. So just slow down.

I would argue that it lessens tongue bite and may increase "roof bite"if there is such a thing. I think the tongue would be more sensitive than the roof of the mouth due to more nerve endings and muscle. But hey what do I know.

Interesting to see others have had a similar experience.

I'm gonna pack a bowl of the HD RNF( favorite VA) and if I can't get the flavors out of it, I'm sticking with this theory.

I'm interested to see thoughts on this as well. I'm a huge fan of the P-lip, but I primarily smoke English and Balkan blends. Maybe the fact that I haven't gotten into VAs is due to smoking them with a P-lip. I have 3 Petersons, only one of which has a fishtail bit. I'll have to try some Dunhill Flake in it to see if the flavor comes out more. It'll be a few weeks until I can smoke again, but this will give me something to look forward to when I can!

YMMV reigns supreme everywhere on this site. The BL is no different. We are all wired differently, so what we can perceive from a pipe & baccy combo will be different. I'm sure there is science behind what works in a particular pipe, but to me it is all witchcraft still :ohmy:

Andrew, I don't believe you are imagining anything. Keep experimenting, that's half the fun IMO. :biggrin1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would argue that it lessens tongue bite and may increase "roof bite"if there is such a thing. I think the tongue would be more sensitive than the roof of the mouth due to more nerve endings and muscle. But hey what do I know.

Interesting to see others have had a similar experience.

I'm gonna pack a bowl of the HD RNF( favorite VA) and if I can't get the flavors out of it, I'm sticking with this theory.

Now that I have an upper plate, I will never have to worry about roof bite :biggrin:

I hope it didn't come off as pompous. I definetly agree that one should smoke slowly (That's actually my biggest pipe problem, I get a whisp of the flavor and I chase it down into the bottom of the bowl too fast and my pipes smoke hot sometimes)

But I do think that the p-lip can alleviate some forms of tongue bite. I personally believe that tongue bite can be attributed to two things; Our body's PH balance and reaction to the tobacco and the obvious reason of smoking too fast. But that's for another thread.

OC, do you enjoy the p-lips? If you do, what baccys do you usually smoke with them?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I hope it didn't come off as pompous. I definetly agree that one should smoke slowly (That's actually my biggest pipe problem, I get a whisp of the flavor and I chase it down into the bottom of the bowl too fast and my pipes smoke hot sometimes)

But I do think that the p-lip can alleviate some forms of tongue bite. I personally believe that tongue bite can be attributed to two things; Our body's PH balance and reaction to the tobacco and the obvious reason of smoking too fast. But that's for another thread.

OC, do you enjoy the p-lips? If you do, what baccys do you usually smoke with them?
Oh, not at all. I realize that just about everything we do here is YMMV. You have your experiences, and I have mine. We can both state our opinions. Just because we differ does not mean one of us is being pompous. I know it may be cliche, but it is what it is. What it is is different due to opinion.

I'de say it's the briar and not the design of the stem that's giving you the great smokes. The P-lips are great imo and I love 'em,but I don't think I'de put much stock in the notion that they change the way a blend tastes. Sure the smoke stream is directed to the roof of the mouth, but it still swirls all around the mouth after that and I just don't think that taste buds, or at least my taste buds, are going to taste that smoke in any way that's significantly different.

But the briar on the other hand can have a big influence on how a given blend tastes. Some blends are brighter or sharper in certain pipes and some more muted or flat. Some pipes seem made for full latakia blends while others due better with straight virginias or burleys. It's all part of the enjoyment for me - finding those good pairings. And then of course there are some pipes that seem destined to become work horses - everything tastes good in 'em. Those are my own personal favourites. :001_smile

University flake is a delicious blend IMO, and you could certainly do a lot worse than have a Donegal that likes the UF. Congrats & Enjoy!

I'm smoking UF in the Donegal now. And boy is this a sweet combo.

If the briar makes that much of a difference, and this is only an entry level Pete....I don't think I have enough money for the next one:sad:

If the briar makes that much of a difference, and this is only an entry level Pete....I don't think I have enough money for the next one:sad:

Check out the Peterson Flame Grains. Their briar quality is supposed to be good and the price isn't terrible on them. I've got a 606 that I bought from Blade Boy that I absolutely love. Smokes nice and cool and looks fantastic!

I love my Plip, I think I get more flavour from it, and no bite. But many do not share this with me,.. and that's okay, Im just glad I have one, my three oak Syrian is a treasure to be had in my pete

I love my Plip, I think I get more flavour from it, and no bite. But many do not share this with me,.. and that's okay, Im just glad I have one, my three oak Syrian is a treasure to be had in my pete

Mmmmm... 3 Oaks Syrian in a P-lip. I had many a relaxing drive to work with that combination. Have you tried Samovar? Very similar, a big stronger, and very good.

mmmmmm... 3OS

And I agree, it does taste very good with a p-lip.

Sad to say but there's just no way of knowing short of simply smoking a pipe whether or not it pairs well with any particular bacca or blend. As they say, You pay the man and you take your chances! And to be honest nearly all of my best smoking pipes are from lower grades, so I can't see much wisdom in buying an expensive pipe because one believes it will smoke any better. I would say buy a pipe because you like it, whatever reason may be...and hope for the best! :lol:

But congrats again with the Pete combo. What number (shape) is it by the way?

Top Bottom