What's new

Item of the Week Calendar and Discussion - 2014

The Badger and Blade
2014 Calendar of Shaves

Gentlemen, first let me apologize for not having this up first thing yesterday. My son was sick with the flu, and I was not able to get to my computer. Without further ado, I present you with the new Item of the Week thread! Let me explain the change.

One thing I noticed with last year's effort, is that as the year trickled by, the items became either more obscure or less enticing. This had the effect of weeding out the participation. Now, we've come up with a way to help you direct your attention in your shave dens to items you likely have, or are easy to acquire. We'll also tell you in advance, how the whole year will play out. You won't be limited to just ONE item each week, rather, you can dig into your arsenal and play with any and all items that suite the theme! Hopefully this will encourage greater participation and attract newer members and members with smaller shave dens (like me... cough cough).

We will follow through each theme in THIS ONE thread, all year long, and each month and week the themes will be expounded upon. Keep in mind, this calendar doesn't have to be set in stone! If opportunities for alternatives present themselves, YOUR INPUT IS ENCOURAGED!!

I now present you with THE CALENDAR!!!! (note: as each week begins, I hope to link each entry in the calendar to that weeks starting post within the thread. Week 1 is linked, even though it's just one post down.)

JanuaryFebruaryMarch
Old Is New AgainLove Is In The AirSpring has Sprung
1Reformulations1Chocolate or Rose Scented soaps/creams1"Green" Scents
2Vintage AS2Scents that make her say "rawr"2The Veg (Because I'm in Charge, and I said so)
3Oldest Razor in the Roatation3Open Hearts - Open Combs3Modern Razors
4Restored Brushes4Finest and Best Knots4Silvertip Knots
AprilMayJune
April ShowersBring May Flowersl'art du rasage
1Cheap (Drugstore) Soaps/Creams1Flowery Scents1French Soaps/Creams
2Drugstore AS2Flowery Scents2French AS/ASB
3Cheapest Razor in Rotation3Adjustables3French Razors
4Cheapest Brush in Rotation4Fattest knots4French Brushes
5Mod Mystery Week
JulyAugustSeptember
God Save The QueenIt's Getting' Hot In Hereein kleine rasiermusik
13 T's and Other British Soaps/Creams1Mentholated Soaps/Creams1German Soaps/Creams
23 T's and Other British AS/ASB2Mentholated, Tear inducing Splashes2German Splashes/Balms
3British Razors3Slants3German Straight Razors
4British Brushes4Tiny Knots4German Brushes
5Mod Mystery Week5Mod Mystery Week
OctoberNovemberDecember
ScaryGive ThanksLa Famiglia
1Arko, Williams, Modern Aos Soap, Tabac1Sue Moore Auction Winnings1Italian Soaps/Creams
2The Veg, Modern Old Spice, (Other Highly Contested Splashes?)2Sue Moore Auction Winnings2Italian AS/ASB
3Cartridge Razors!!3Sue Moore Auction Winnings3Italian Razors?
4Synthetic Knots4Sue Moore Auction Winnings4Italian Brushes?
5Mod Mystery Week

PS, Rumor has it that the SOTD forum will attempt to follow some of these themes as well. If you haven't spent anytime over there, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:
We've all made and broken New Year's Resolutions. Some of us resolved to not buy anything shave related in the new year, then promptly broke that promise within 15 hours... not naming any names.

Likewise, many of our most favorite soaps and creams which were tried and true for generations resolved to test their research and development on us, the well-shaved masses. Some of these reformulations have been for the better (or so we're told), others... not so much. Some have even been RE-reformulated, much to the joy and jubilation of all!

This week the challenge is to use reformulated items in your den. Modern AoS, Penhaligons, Trufitt & Hill, Trumpers, Williams - Anything you can find that's been reformulated. Maybe it's been terrible for you in the past... maybe it just needs a second chance to make a first impression.

Let's see those pics! Better yet, post them up in the SOTD - Reformulations thread!

What a great calendar. Thanks for your work and I hope your kid is feeling better. We all love this site, but taking care of family is number one. I like the themes, especially October. This will give me an excuse to use my Gillette Sensor Excel (2 blade cart) once again.

I am in on the reformulation theme because I happen to be using a stick of Palmolive EU this week: reformulated for the better around 2010. But I hardly ever do SOTD posts.

BTW the table in post #1 seems to be too wide: the third column gets cut off in my browser. I am using Safari 7, but I see the same problem in Firefox 26 or Chrome 31.

I am in on the reformulation theme because I happen to be using a stick of Palmolive EU this week: reformulated for the better around 2010. But I hardly ever do SOTD posts.

BTW the table in post #1 seems to be too wide: the third column gets cut off in my browser. I am using Safari 7, but I see the same problem in Firefox 26 or Chrome 31.

Thanks for the info. I need to talk to SpecialK about this. It doesn't seem to readjust for smaller resolutions.

Dare I go buy a puck of Williams and Join the fun with Jessy? :001_huh:

Couldn't find my Williams. Apparently I don't have any hyped "reformulated" products. Although I do have some Stirling samples... maybe that counts as he's constantly tweaking his product?

Couldn't find my Williams. Apparently I don't have any hyped "reformulated" products. Although I do have some Stirling samples... maybe that counts as he's constantly tweaking his product?

You could probably pick up a tube of KMF somewhere nearby. That got a paraben-free reformulation not long ago.

You could probably pick up a tube of KMF somewhere nearby. That got a paraben-free reformulation not long ago.

Hm... I have a tube of Lavender that I'm getting ready to send away. Wasn't really crazy about the scent. Didn't realize that was changed.

Great calendar and I really like the new direction /thumbsup

With that said - Can we get this stickied?

Just out of sheer coincidence, I just started 3017'ing a tub of AoS Sandalwood shave cream (post-P&G acquisition and reformulated w/o the parebens). I never tried the original formulation but I am very, very pleased with this version. I have proclaimed my love for its scent in various threads but the performance is excellent (so far). As I continue to use this tub up, I will be focusing several qualities especially efficacy and the correct product/water ratio.

Great calendar and I really like the new direction /thumbsup

With that said - Can we get this stickied?

Just out of sheer coincidence, I just started 3017'ing a tub of AoS Sandalwood shave cream (post-P&G acquisition and reformulated w/o the parebens). I never tried the original formulation but I am very, very pleased with this version. I have proclaimed my love for its scent in various threads but the performance is excellent (so far). As I continue to use this tub up, I will be focusing several qualities especially efficacy and the correct product/water ratio.
Welcome to the fun! For what it's worth, this was stickied since yesterday with only 4 posts... 3 of which were mine. Keeping it active with frequent posting will keep it far more visible than if it's sticky.

I LOVE the AoS Sandalwood! Just realized that's sitting in my drawer, so I'll use it tonight.

I am using Pinaud aftershaves this week. Weren't they formulated when plastic bottles came on the scene?

BTW, last night I dreamed I found a glass bottle of Aqua Velva. Seriously? I dream about this stuff now???

I am using Pinaud aftershaves this week. Weren't they formulated when plastic bottles came on the scene?

BTW, last night I dreamed I found a glass bottle of Aqua Velva. Seriously? I dream about this stuff now???

Im not aware of any pinaud reformulations. I can dig a bit to find out though. I do know the Veg has remained unchanged since it's inception.

Of course aftershaves are next week. :p

You don't have anything to worry about till you start dreaming about Ouch. But by then it's too late.

Last edited:
I've also read that the pinaud line was reform updated to keep the scents unchanged when they changed to plastic bottles. U just got some arko and I'm really enjoying that so I won't be pulling the Williams out any time soon. I will be using a pinaud aftershave of some kind tomorrow, and I reformulate them all myself by adding some glycerin--too drying otherwise. I guess you could also say I "reformulated" the gold dollar I used today with my dremel.

Assuming Pinaud was reformulated, I happened to break out the Pinaud Musk sample this morning. The scent seems to be a softer, less leathery, more powdery version of Special Reserve. Face feel is excellent, and seems to pair nicely with the Tabac I'm 3017'ing. I wish the scent lingered longer, though.

Top Bottom