What's new

Item of the Week Calendar and Discussion - 2014

No worries at all! Post your experience and do not be afraid to share any negative shaves - We are all here to help :D

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind a newbie joining in here :)

I will participate this week and the weeks I can, though, I think I may do more trolling than posting.

I have two old Gillette's a '65 and '59, my father-in-laws and my Dad's...I usually use the 65, so in order to participate, this week I will clean up the 59 and give it a try. I will post once I do.

Cheers!

Welcome to the party!! We all have something to contribute even if it's just shenanigans. :p

Shaved with my birth year (1968) SuperSpeed!

I shaved with my oldest razor - a 1920 Gillette Single Ring. It does have a very slight 3mm hairline crack typical of this razor but the teeth are straight and the silver finish is in great condition. This is my only open comb razor and I don't have very much experience with it...and unfortunately it shows in my shaves.

I did a normal 3-pass shave but I had numerous patches of skin irritation which was fortunately calmed with just cold water and witch hazel. This was the 4th shave of an Astra SP blade which I subsequently banked. I will give my face a rest and shave again Wednesday night with a new blade (most likely a Personna Lab).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...eme-Week-20-26-Jan-2014?p=5822257#post5822257

Good theme. Gave me a chance to show some attention to this Gillette Bostonian aka New something, circa 1920's. Excellent shaver and complimented by its AOS descendants-through-acquisition.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...eme-Week-20-26-Jan-2014?p=5820108#post5820108

Great razors guys! Glad to see lots of interest this week!

I have 2 straights that are pre 1891, but I'm not sure which is older. Today a Frederick Reynolds 6/8 hollow ground smiling razor

Last edited by a moderator:
woah! Beautiful spinal smile on that razor! Do you have a good story behind them?
Nope. Found it on the bay for a good price. Got even because of a small crack in the edge and an honest seller. After a bit of work it hones up extremely sharp and shaves really nicely. I have yet to see another Reynolds with the same grind

Here's the other pre-1891 straight. A manhattan cutlery 6/8 wedge. Another ebay find, restored in its beat-up original horn scales. Very nice shaver

Last edited by a moderator:
Jessy, thanks for stirring the pot here!

Today's vintage razor, circa 1918, Gillette ABC with case.
With my inverted Jenny stamps...well, my repro from the new release.
If I did have an original, it would have to be kept in a bank vault.

$truefitt rose blenheim gillette abc jan 22 2014.jpg

Sarimento! That might be my all-time favorite SOTD! The setup is stunning, the lighting is perfect, and the items just fit together and seem right together!

How much would one of those original stamps be worth today?

Wikipedia said:
The Inverted Jenny (also known as an Upside Down Jenny or Jenny Invert) is a United States postage stamp first issued on May 10, 1918 in which the image of the Curtiss JN-4 airplane in the center of the design appears upside-down; it is probably the most famous error in American philately. Only one pane of 100 of the invert stamps was ever found, making this error one of the most prized in all philately. A center-line block catalogs for $600,000, which is probably low; a single inverted Jenny was sold at a Robert A. Siegel auction in November 2007 for US $977,500.[SUP][1][/SUP] In December 2007 a mint never hinged example was sold for $825,000. The broker of the sale said the buyer was a Wall Street executive who lost the auction the previous month.[SUP][2][/SUP] A block of four inverted Jennys was sold at a Robert A. Siegel auction in October 2005 for US $2.7 million.[SUP][3]

[/SUP]
[SUP]
Found something[/SUP]

Sarimento! That might be my all-time favorite SOTD! The setup is stunning, the lighting is perfect, and the items just fit together and seem right together!

How much would one of those original stamps be worth today?

Thanks Jessy; you found the info. I had long coveted this stamp and the re-release gave me a chance to fulfill that wish!
And those shave items just seemed to work together; I had initially thought about the 1805 AS and a restored Everready, but in the end, the BB and Rubberset seemed better matches. The razor is one rarely used...this theme made me bring it out!

$truefitt rose blenheim gillette abc jan 22 2014-8392s.jpg

Thanks Jessy; you found the info. I had long coveted this stamp and the re-release gave me a chance to fulfill that wish!
And those shave items just seemed to work together; I had initially thought about the 1805 AS and a restored Everready, but in the end, the BB and Rubberset seemed better matches. The razor is one rarely used...this theme made me bring it out!

View attachment 405666
how's it shave? What blade did you use?

how's it shave? What blade did you use?

The 1917 Gillette was a little aggressive, similar to the LeCoq and more so than the Bostonian/NewStandard. Perhaps due to the 'flatter' shape of the cap or maybe just due to the blade getting a bit duller. I used the same Souplex from yesterday, so it had five (or six?) shaves on it; it's now retired. I did have to think to keep the angle shallow and avoided any nicks. Two passes and BBS even hours later. BTW, the T&H rose cream is outstanding, both moist and buttery. Tomorrow? Maybe a 'pass'. Thx again!

Gentlemen,

If you don't mind I would like to join you for this journey. I can probably participate in only about 1/3 of the themes but it looks fun. My oldest razor is a user grade '34 Aristocrat. Paired it with a Gillette Silver Blue, Valobra stick grated into a dish. Finished with the rest of the stuff.

$34_Aristocrat1.jpg

In honor of this week's "Oldest Razors" theme -

Working through the years, my previous shave was with a 1920 Gillette Single Ring Old Type. Last night's shave was with the venerable (and my favorite) Pre-War Gillette Fat Handle Tech. I have sung its praises hundreds of times through various threads and posts here on B&B. My shave last night only served to strengthen my love for this wonderful razor.

Definitely not meaning to sound bored, but I was rewarded with yet another effortless BBS - This razor (and setup) is desert-island material.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...eme-Week-20-26-Jan-2014?p=5829941#post5829941

Next razor up for this week's theme is a 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech...

Beautiful Razors guys! THanks for sharing!! Never hesitate to join in the discussion! Participate whenever you can, and if you can't, you can still come gawk and share your experiences!

Haggises please do post some picture of your lather catcher, those are true works of art!

I did get my 59' Gillette SS cleaned up enough to use for my SOTD. I received this razor from my father, only after I had started using a DE. I am pretty sure my Mom forbid him from giving it to me fearing I would seriously hurt myself. She still cringes when I mention that I use a safety razor to shave. I remember seeing my dad come out of the bathroom after shaving with multiple pieces of TP on his cuts. I am pretty sure this is the same razor he fought with all those years.

I used the same products as I do everyday.
Blade - Gillette Stainless Steel
Soap - Col Conk Bay Rum and Van der Hagen
AS - Pinaud Clubman

Razor - 59' Gillette SS E-3 date code

The overall shave with the 59 was successful with no cuts or weepers. During the shave the did not seem as smooth as my other SS, the 59 felt like it tugged a lot more. I am not sure if this is due to the different head shape or if it is the razor/blade combo. Though I was not won over during the shave I do have to say the results seem better than my 65' SS. It feels like a got a closer shave with the '59.

With such a close shave I am keeping this razor as my main razor for this week to see how it goes. I may even try using it on my dome which may be the real test between the 59' and 65'.

Cheers!

Top Bottom