Thread: Newbie advice needed; I'm ready

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Newbie advice needed; I'm ready

I'm ready for my first straight razor shave, and was wondering where i could buy a second hand straight, and strop?

What do you recommend for a first strop? 4 sided paddle or leather/canvas strop?

Also, where can I get these things?
    Any suggestions on web sites where i can buy these items shave ready?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
    Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am very much a straight newbie; however, I would recommend Tony Miller for strops. http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/main.sc

Probably the best way to get a razor shave ready is to post a WTB thread in the Shaving Mall.

I am sure others will chime in.

Edit: looks like Tony has added a honing service, so you could get the whole package from him.
    Last edited by red2; 02-19-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: More info
    ~Nick

[URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Red2"]My Shave Gear[/URL]

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tony supplies a starter kit with a shave ready razor and strop. If you want to start new. Very good value. Red2's advice is good as well. There are usually a few good vintage razors availabe in the B/S/T forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The paddle has the advantages of giving you in one piece what you will need to initially care for your razor. A leather canvas hanging strop is the traditional tool for daily care. Its all a matter of what you like better. Some guys like paddles and some like hanging. There is no right or wrong way and unfortunately its one of those things where you will only know what you like better by using them. Some guys have both a hanger for daily use and a paddle with pastes for touchups and of course some use hones for touchups. So there is no easy answer to your question.

There are several guys who sell new kits both here and over at SRP. Check them all out.

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigspendur View Post
    The paddle has the advantages of giving you in one piece what you will need to initially care for your razor. A leather canvas hanging strop is the traditional tool for daily care. Its all a matter of what you like better. Some guys like paddles and some like hanging. There is no right or wrong way and unfortunately its one of those things where you will only know what you like better by using them. Some guys have both a hanger for daily use and a paddle with pastes for touchups and of course some use hones for touchups. So there is no easy answer to your question.

There are several guys who sell new kits both here and over at SRP. Check them all out.
    +1

BTW: I have both the hanging and unpasted paddle and for daily use I have found the hanger to be easier. I use the paddle mostly for when I travel and it always seems to be difficult to use (to me).

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Conversely, I generally use my paddle for daily stropping, and my hanging strop more rarely. I don't have the luxury of permanently affixing my hangng strop in the bathroom (SWMBO is not game), so the paddle comes in handy. Also, with hte paddle I don't have to worry about wether or not I am using too little tension resulting in a rolled edge.
    Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More votes on Tony's stuff!

I do prefer a hanging strop, but anything should work adequately.

For a really economical start - you can try to get a shave-ready "value" razor in the BST (say 30-40, it won't be pristine, of course - but otherwise honing itself costs 20 or so) and use a leather belt. This is better than waiting and not trying the straights, imo (in case you cannot afford the kit). If you only need to save for a month to buy the kit - I'd be patient, save and go straight for the kit. If it's more like 3 months - too long of a wait for me get a value razor and go for it right now

Good luck
    Ivo