What's new

Mama Bear's and Mike's Soaps and the like

What's up everybody? I ordered a sample of different shaving creams (Proraso, Truefitt & Hill, Trumper, and brands like that). I noticed two companies that stood out to me: Mama Bear's and Mike's Soaps. My big thing about them is that only natural products are used to create their soaps (rather than harsh chemicals, alcohols, or parabens as substitutes). Does anyone have experience with either of these company's products and if so, would you recommend them for a beginning shaver? If not, does anyone know of any other reputable companies that create nice, natural shave gear? Thank you for your time.

My first soap was Mike's Barber Shop. Excellent product. Once I got used to lathering a soap I have been getting rich, creamy, slick lather. The scent os excellent. I can highly recommend Mike's.

I have no personal experience with Mama Bear but I've heard a lot of good things about that product. It will probably be the next soap that I try.

Mikes is definitely a top tier product. It's right up there with the best of the best. I recommend the Orange and pepper and Bay Rum. Mmm. Good stuff.

I love Mike's - lime and peppermint rosemary the most, then coconut. If you order from Vintage Blades, it'' probably be a lot quicker than direct ordering (one of the very few times I would ever not order direct). That extra $1-2 will save you weeks of waiting.

Stirling is another favorite (and they customize).

QCS and St. Charles Shave are also very highly regarded, but I have no experience with them. Mama Bear's stuff is generally well liked as well (another I have not tried). Mystic Water is another, but I personally have found their products to be more difficult to lather.

I have Mike's and Mama Bear soaps waiting to be tried out. Stirling is also a great natural soap. I got hooked on his bath soaps as well.

Mama Bears is great stuff. Lather is super easy to whip up. I have 4 pucks already with 3 more on the way. They are fantastic!

She uses 100% natural ingredients with essential oils or fragrance oils, depending on the soap.

Both soaps are worth at least giving a try if you haven't. While both soaps are top notch products in my opinion, they are both different enough that you might prefer one over the other. Mike's tallow soap is very nice in the colder months, but feels waxy on my skin during the hot humid summer. Mama Bear's glycerin soap is more neutral in that regard to me. Neither moisturizing nor drying, so I like to use it during humid weather. In regards to Mama Bear I would recommend you get a few samples of the scents you like, since her scents tend to be on the stronger side.

The only big difference I see in regards to performance is that Mama Bear's is very, very easy to lather. Mike's takes a bit longer to lather. It really starts to shine in its performance when you slowly add water while lathering. Other than that it is really YMMV thing.

Mikes is good stuff. You have got to try stirling soap though. Great shave and bath soap. And the free samples you get are like an ounce of soap! Awesome stuff.

Mama bears is ok. She has more scents than anybody, but I find the performance just ok.

Mikes is among the best soaps I have ever used.

I would also suggest

Barrister & Mann, similar to mikes. But I think it lathers easier and smells better

Petal pusher fancies- really slick, nice scents, vegan, I'd that matters to you

Mama Bear is my everyday soap and I could shave with nothing but that and be content. Great scents, great performance, great price. I would advise trying some of her soap sliver samples first as some have a reaction to her fragrance oils or essential oils. Quick inner arm test will tell you if you have issues or use the sliver like a mini-stick. I get about 3 shaves from a sample.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Mama Bear is my everyday soap and I could shave with nothing but that and be content. Great scents, great performance, great price. I would advise trying some of her soap sliver samples fist as some have a reaction to her fragrance oils or essential oils. Quick inner arm test will tell you if you have issues or use the sliver like a mini-stick. I get about 3 shaves from a sample.
Well said; I'm of big fan of Sue's soaps as well.

Never tried mama Bear's Soaps but :thumbup: for Mike's and also Stirling. I may even prefer Stirling over Mike's at the moment.

Hands down, Mike's is THE BEST.
Outside of my Travel soap (which is cheap Col. Conk Almond - decent soap), Mike's Lavender is all I use.

I've tried Van Der Hagen, Cella, MWF, Tabac and Mike's. Only Mike's is what I found perfect for me.

Tallow soaps such as Cella and Mike's always produce an extremely creamy, dense lather.

I just ordered the seasonal scent of Petal Pusher Fancies soap. Thank you all for the suggestions and input! :001_rolle

I have never heard anything but good about Mikes, but Mama Bears I insist on having in the house. I love almost everything I have tried of hers, and when I have a friend getting into shaving they get some Mama Bears. But, while I have never had a bad reaction, I do agree that you might want to order samples first to test. Some people have more sensitive skin (this holds true for most soaps).

I just started the switch from cream to soap in December, and I just lathered up one of my MamaBear samples last night. I can tell right away that MB is right in line with what I like to smell like, but my skin felt drier than the other soaps and creams that I've used. It wasn't a problem because I normally finish with Dove ASB, but I don't think I would have been comfortable with a more astringent AS afterwards.

In short, if I have anything valuable to add its that I could see adding MB to my rotation, but I would have trouble staying paraben free.

Top Bottom