What's new

Ming Shi Safety Razor

Has anyone tried this razor. It was on sale at the Shaving Factory. This is the folks that sell Derby's to the forum members at discount. This razor is 25% off as is everything else at this site to BB members.

It is at this site.:
http://www.shavingfactory.com/product_p/safety razor.htm

or

javascript:OpenNewWindow('/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=' + escape('Safety+Razor'), 640, 600)

Any comments?

I'm tempted at that price.

I may pick one up- - - see what anyone else posts here.

I picked up 2 of them along with 100 blades for each (promo). Not sure how good they are but for that price I had to! One is a birthday present for my father... I'm trying to get him into wet shaving again. He said he never used a DE razor since he was a teenager. A few members picked up this razor so in a few weeks i'm sure there will be some reviews up.

Let us know what you think of it. It looks great in the picture.

I note that the description is a bit strange though: Material: Refined Stainless Steel, Zinc alloy, Copper, ABS

Anyone know what "refined stainless steel" is? And I thought that ABS was a plastic, isn't it? And so it's made of stainless steel and the same stuff that black plastic pipes are made of?

Do they mean that the case is made from ABS? Cannot see anything looking like plastic on the picture of the razor. And I don´t think that they made the mechanism inside of plastic.
If this razor was made from stainless steel, the quality would be even better than a vintage Gillette, right? I have to confess, I am tempted to try one, but it sounds almost too good to be true, considering the price.

well, theres also the weishi, which is stainless steel, and the quality is decent,
and parker, stainless steel, but some of them are questionable,

im just saying, dont just jump on it, mantic has one, his good at what he does, let him test it, the movie man knows what he´s doing.

J

jimmyj

i have shaved with it 3 or 4 times. it was a decent shave, but i just finished shaving with my grandpas 46/47 gillette aristocrat. and the ming shi is definately alot less harsh, which made it harder for me to get fairly smooth, and my grandpa's razor gave me a much closer and very smooth shave.

The Weishi was one of my first DE razors and I found it to be too mild for me to get even a DFS.

I'd expect the Ming Shi to be similar. I'm eager to see the reviews.

Ming Shi is a very tame razor. It's not great as far as quality goes and it's extremely lightweight but it does it's job. Too mild for me but basically free when you buy derby blades.

Overall a good beginners tool but most people will want something at least somewhat more agressive sooner or later. I use it as a travel razor.

A very mild shaver; I gave mine to a friend who wanted to move away from cartridges. He doesn't have a heavy beard so it's perfect for that type or as a starter razor.

It's very lightweight and flimsy. The difference between turning the screw to open the head on this and an old Gilette is eye-opening. The head componants are all thin-gauge stamped steel. Buy a decent old Gillette on eBay for $15 and forget about this thing.

Ming Shi is a very tame razor. It's not great as far as quality goes and it's extremely lightweight but it does it's job. Too mild for me but basically free when you buy derby blades.

Overall a good beginners tool but most people will want something at least somewhat more agressive sooner or later. I use it as a travel razor.

Yep not much SS in it either.

I got one from ebay because it looked nice, was inexpensive and shipping was free. The razor is a cheap piece of junk. I wasn't able to get a blade to seat properly. My advise is stay away from this one, it isn't very well made. I am sending mine back and this experiment with light razors has just about run its course. I do want to try a Merkur bakelite, though. :wink2:

I got one from ebay because it looked nice, was inexpensive and shipping was free. The razor is a cheap piece of junk. I wasn't able to get a blade to seat properly. My advise is stay away from this one, it isn't very well made. I am sending mine back and this experiment with light razors has just about run its course. I do want to try a Merkur bakelite, though. :wink2:

off topic; but I really love my Merkur Bakelite (most likely not really bakelite though) It gives a great shave and the auditory feedback is phenomenal.

Top Bottom