What's new

Razor Storage?

Hey folks, I've got a straight and a Shavette that I need to find a cost effective way to store, but I also need it to easily accommodate a growing collection, as I have 2 more straights on the way.

I'm mostly looking for ideas of things that I could find locally and/or make myself. How do you folks store your straights, and where? Bedroom, bathroom, other? Pics encouraged.

Bathroom is not a good idea as it tends to have more humidity.
A hidden shelf somewhere dry is what I recommend.
Hidden, you might not yet understand why, since we are talking about 4 instruments here. But if the number gets in the double digits and you have a significant other, you might reconsider.

I personally have a setup that my father-in-law built, but if you're looking for cheap and easy, a lot of guys use toothbrush holders for their straights. If you're looking for traveling storage, the same thing applies, just get some travel toothbrush cases.
$samuel-heath-toothbrush-holder-i4c247943593e0.jpg

Legion

Staff member
99% of my straigts are in a tupperware container, or sealed in a giant pickle jar. Not kidding.

The go to razor is just in a cardboard coffin in a draw in my bedroom.

For long term storage, I put them in a plastic tackle box/hobby box, and with as many of those "do not eat" dissecant packets as I can find.

I personally have a setup that my father-in-law built, but if you're looking for cheap and easy, a lot of guys use toothbrush holders for their straights. If you're looking for traveling storage, the same thing applies, just get some travel toothbrush cases.
View attachment 399180

Ooh. That's pretty. And a cool way to store/display them.

I think I'm going to play the SRAD as a functional collection. I'm getting to where I don't collect something I can't use whether it be knives, pipes, antique cameras, etc.

The most useful thing you can store them in are the little silicone sleeves that Jarrod sells at The Superior Shave. This keeps that oxidation gremlins away. After that, it's just a matter of style. I started off with a pair of large glass cookie jars with glass taps and am now migrating as many of them as I can to a very cool vintage three drawer men's shaving mirror that I found at a local antique shop. Some guys with kids keep them in gun safes. Other's display them.

I keep some in mugs on my bench, others in small boxes - 7 live in a fancy TI box and still others are housed in a retrofitted vintage flatware/cutlery box.

Someone once said that desiccants can dry out certain types of scale materials, so I put strips of VCI paper in all the boxes and mugs. I don't have rusting issues but there's no harm in playing it safe.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hi Keith,

Do you know of any cautions using the VCI products with tortoise, ivory, and other natural scales?

Thanks, Steve

Look on ebay - that's where I got mine.
I think - Anti-rust paper is the search term I used.

Don't know of any use-precautions. Gun forums might have some info.
I've had no issues with it being in close proximity to Ivory.

This is what I use. It kinda helps me keep the SRAD in check (not as much as it should). I know I know, I shouldn't have the hinge pin down, but I dry them off and oil regularly I swear!

This is what I use. It kinda helps me keep the SRAD in check (not as much as it should). I know I know, I shouldn't have the hinge pin down, but I dry them off and oil regularly I swear!

Dude! Dude!

That's a two dude solution. Very cool. One assumes you have no small kids though, correct?

Very cool. I don't really need anything that sophisticated though. Maybe if the AD gets worse. 😉

Dude! Dude!

That's a two dude solution. Very cool. One assumes you have no small kids though, correct?

Correct no kiddos, and I have my own bathroom in a back room which keeps other prying hands out too.

Hazydayz: I built this when I only had 3 razors and 2 brushes, it looked empty. The plus side is that my habit grew into it and every time I see it, I think about what I need to sell (like thats gonna happen).

Keep in mind, that if you have a big 7/8 or 8/8 razor, it may not fit. The premise is pretty simple though, you could easily take a 8" piece of 2x4 (in whatever wood you like) and drill 1.5" holes in a line down the center of it (set on its side that is). Sand, finish, and presto.

Last edited:
Top Bottom