What's new

Nothin' but the Blues!

Just thought I'd show off my new baby... man this thing sounds great!
$DSCF8933.jpg$DSCF8934.jpg$DSCF8935.jpg$DSCF8936.jpg

Compliments to rob74 for mentioning Bo Carter-Great! Rare to find CD now. I'll throw in my contribution:

Jimmy Dawkins

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 88
August West already sent some love to John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom Boom". His version in the Blues Brothers movie is my favourite part of the whole film...next to the shopping mall drive thru, the Illinois Nazis diving off the bridge, the "we have both kinds of music. Country. and Western" scene and Aretha's "Think".
Other than those, yeah John Lee's performance is the best.

Aretha's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" always gets me weepy. They played Simon and Garfinkle's original at a friends' funeral and my wife leaned over and whispered, "I hate this song now". I whispered back, "Could be worse...could've been Aretha". She knew what I meant.

hey gents, superb thread. i could spend all day getting caught up, but sadly, i can't spend all day, so i listened to page 1, and will slowly woyk my way through. highlights from page 1 are rev gary davis - death don't have no mercy, that got in my guts. hook and muddy got me going and got my 7yr old son singing his mojo's working and all he wants is money.:thumbup1: i've just been playing along and drinking coffee the last hour, can't imagine much else as satisfying as that.

alright, i am loving this thread. i have watched and listened to everything from pages 2 to 5 except the trombone guy in nawlins - i only made it through the first couple songs there. funny that we made it through 5 pages of blues and only one hendrix post that is no longer active and no stevie ray though there is an allman bros. cover of sky is crying. there are a couple of things that were there before them, which i think is funny, all i'm saying. i have been playing along with just about everything on this old beater(see photo). it was my mom's, given by her brother, that she never played. for years it collected dust in her closet, a permanent and fascinating fixture in my young psyche. my brothers and i trashed that thing over the years, even though we didn't play, either. it was a toy, a prop, a thing to abuse to a pre-adolescent, or whelp, or one seeking come-uppance. i started playing guit-box around 16 and my brother and i played pure blues. hendrix was our idol, and voodoo child off electric ladyland(not the slight return) was my favorite song(maybe still is). it would still be 10 years before i picked that guitar up and tried to play it. it was only when i saw it in a pile with some other stuff that i asked, "hey ma, what are you doing with that guitar?" and she said, "sending it to good will." no, ma. that thing is a member of the family. i'll take it. and i did. it was in less repair than what you see here. two tuning pegs were missing and i was using pliers to twist those strings into some semblance of tune. the dust and grime were caked in layers on the fretboard and the strings literally had not been changed in my lifetime(i was 26 at the time). though the wood was coming apart on the bottom of the body(notice the high class masking tape repair), i developed a real liking for the nylon feel and sound, particularly playing the blues, so i bought some new gear to replace the worn out original and went to work. i had to drill new holes for the pegs because the classical fittings were too big as the guitar had been fitted with steel string hardware even though it was clearly a classical(i guess mongrel is the best term for this guitar). when it was all cleaned and re-strung, it was reborn and has been my preferred accoustic ever since. sadly it doesn't hold a tune very well, but it has character, and can be coaxed into what i think sounds beautiful. my mother passed a few months ago, and it is no surprise that i found this blues thread and have found it so satisfying to listen to and play along with. i have a few things that were hers, and a lot of memories that are mine. she never played this guitar, but she kept it for at least 30 years so that i might, and though i loved it before, i cherish it now more than ever. highlights are too numerous to say though john lee had some good ones and big mama thornton and memphis jug band were transcendant. thanks for laying all this out rhythm and blues, i am enjoying myself thoroughly.
View attachment 539857

Last edited:
I haven't posted in this thread in a while...

I got into Delbert McClinton when I started playing the harp, but, I really only listen to his live stuff, it's So much better imo.

(Blues Harp, btw :laugh:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom