What's new

Recommendation Needed for My Bald Head

Gentlemen,

I would like your help in choosing a hat. I was thinking a fedora/trillby hat would be nice, and so I started to do some research. Let me give you some context.

I plan on wearing the hat, at a minimum, during this winter season. I have roughly $60 to spend, but if I can keep it under $50 that’d be great too. I would like a hat that I can wear when I am going to the office, yet still wear out on the weekend with the family – meaning I may be in jeans and a coat/jacket. In other words, something that can be used for dressier times, yet still work for casual times – if that is possible. I am thinning up on top, so would like the hat to help keep me warm. Here are a couple of things I found:

Belfry Bogart Classic Wool Fedora: Link Hats in the Belfry is having a 30% off sale for the Belfry Hats, so this is roughly $34

Belfry Gangster Crushable Soft Wool Fedora: Link This one will be roughly $41

Belfry Goon Crushable Soft Wool Fedora: Link This one will be roughly $34 as well.

Jaxon C-Crown Crushable Fedora: Link Village Hat Shop has a 15% off sale, so this one will be roughly $34

I have also seen recommendations for the Stormy Kromer: Link This hat looks like it would be warm. It comes in at $40. Should this also be contender?

Which of these would be a great starter hat? Which of these would you get? Is there something I haven’t found, and you’d recommend? And finally:

If you had roughly $60 to spend on a hat, what would you get?

strop

Now half as wise
Of the ones you listed, I like the Jaxon C-crown the best. Just my personal opinion, though I have several fedoras, and wear a hat every day. What kind of coat will you be wearing to the office? If it is a black/gray/navy topcoat, then you'll want black. If you can do brown, with a brown/tan coat, then it will easily do double duty for more casual wear. The black will work with a black leather jacket, but thats about it IMO.

Once you get used to wearing a hat, you won't be without one. Even without your ears covered, just having on a hat will keep you warmer. By next year, you'll want to move up to fur felt, lining, and fitted sizes.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Once you get used to wearing a hat, you won't be without one.

Truth in that. I went the first few decades of my life not wearing hats ... the occasional baseball cap in summer, and touques in winter ... but was essentially a non-hat-chap until very recently.

In the past few years, I've taken to wearing hats. Now, I understand the old-time sensation of feeling 'undressed' when stepping out of the house hatless. Toss in a 'flat cap' or two for more casual situations (and for driving ... headrests when properly adjusted really annoy fedora wearers) and you are set.

Thanks guys for the advice.

I have a black leather coat I can wear to work. Right now I have been wearing a ski jacket. So it sounds like since I have a leather jacket, I have to go with a black hat. What about grey?

Thanks for the links to other hats as well, I will keep looking. If anyone else has any other suggestions, let me know.

What does a lined hat get you that an unlined hat doesn't? Is a lined hat warmer?

strop

Now half as wise
Don't know that I would wear a fedora with a ski jacket, but that's me. I think the leather coat would work better. Keep your eyes open for sales for top coats. I got a nice 100% Merino wool long topcoat on sale at JAB last month for $99. Clasic with the fedora, and can go dress to casual, at least for an older gent like me.

Don't really think that the satin lining adds much warmth. You'll find those in most fitted hats, usually fur felt. The lining protects the hat from hair oils and dirt,etc. and can be replaced by a good hatter.

I should have been a bit clearer. I don't plan on wearing a Fedora with the ski jacket. It's just what I am wearing right now because it is so darned cold, it has a hood, where the leather doesn't - part of the reason I am looking for a hat.

Now that I think about it, I think I have a dark blue coat, that I think is wool. I will have to look for it when I get home.

So I'd wear either the leather, or blue wool, to work. Outside of work it would be the leather, or when the weather starts warming up, no coat.

Thanks for the info on the lining.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So it sounds like since I have a leather jacket, I have to go with a black hat.

IMHO, no.

You are not restricted to a hat matching your jacket/overcoat colour.

proxy.php

Z
2Q==

At least go for a hat that looks good with the rest of your wardrobe.

Top Bottom