What's new

Introducing some class to my wardrobe

Evening guys,

I've browsed the Haberdashery for a while now, but thought I'd take a deep breath and ask for some advice.

I've finally decided to take a good look in the mirror and I'm not keep on what I see. My attire is a combination of cheap clothes and items that make me look too young. It's high time I changed. I want to add some class to my wardrobe, a change more fitting for a gentleman and something to help me be taken more seriously at work.

I'm a part qualified accountant in the UK - really my role is more that of an office junior. I appreciate that B&B has a strong USA representation, but I'm not sure how styles differ across the pond. And as might be expected of my role, I'm on a tight budget.
So my question to you gents is, where do I start?

I'm a frequent visitor of the nib which has it's own wiki - is there such a thing here?

Oh and 1 specific question if I may: I know I must, must ditch my current office shoes. Whilst I'd love to spring for a pair of AE's I'm in the UK and they're way beyond my price range. I tend to prefer wool trousers in a light grey - would you ever match burgundy brogues with these?
Can link an image if that helps.

I'd genuinely appreciate any help you can offer.
Regards

I would never match burgundy brogues with grey trousers personally. Black would be a safer choice.

Since you are an accountant, does the firm you work for have a dress code? That makes the choices easier.

I work for a company rather than a firm of accountants. There is a dress policy, but its not particularly detailed - business attire would be a fair summary.
There are precious few that wear a suit here, with most donning just shirt, tie and formal trousers

With all the bespoke tailors in England why couldn't you drop in one of their shops and get a general idea of what an accountant should be wearing. Surely atleast they might steer you in the correct path. No harm to try, all they can say is no.

With all the bespoke tailors in England why couldn't you drop in one of their shops and get a general idea of what an accountant should be wearing.

£££ :wink2:

Shirt, tie, and formal trousers is not a bad start. It may help to know what colours suit you well. You may want to ask a (female) friend.

Pay attention to the accessories as well; I like seeing someone wearing a good watch and pen, and using a quality notebook. I am still a believer in taking meeting notes on paper. Electronic devices restrict my thinking.

strop

Now half as wise
Personally, I would have no issue with burgundy brogus with gray trousers, though I would wear medium to dark gray, especially since the atmosphere is a bit casual. With a gray suit I'd go with black.

Start with the basics. Get a nice navy/charcoal colored suit. If you find the suit is a bit big, go to a tailor to tuck it in and it will give it a nice touch. Next, get a few different colored dress shirts. Nothing crazy. You can also get a few ties while your at it.

Start slow. Stick to the tried and tested options.

Look around at the office and look at what the senior management team are wearing and the clients.

Start with the basics. Get a nice navy/charcoal colored suit. If you find the suit is a bit big, go to a tailor to tuck it in and it will give it a nice touch. Next, get a few different colored dress shirts. Nothing crazy. You can also get a few ties while your at it.

Agreed ... stick to neutral colours for the shirts, and match those with some ties. For shoes, I would go with black for the office.

Are you working towards your ACCA? I've almost completed my accounting designation here in Canada. When I first started, I didn't have much business attire either. You don't want to break the bank on buying a high end pair of shoes and then not be able to buy additional shirts, ties, etc. I would start with a moderately priced pair of black dress shoes. Then every paycheque, or month (or when you can afford it), go buy either a new shirt, tie, or pants. You'll build your wardrobe fast this way. When I started, I watched what my bosses were wearing and tried to match them, but on a budget, i.e. if they wore stripped shirts, I bought stripped shirts, they wore a red tie often, I went out and bought a red tie. Once you have a good wardrobe, then go buy a high end pair of shoes. I was working about 2 yrs before I bought my first pair of high end Italian dress shoes. Then I took really good care of them and still wear them today.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice gents.

I managed to strike up a conversation with one of the senior sales managers at work today. I complimented his cuff links whilst we waited for a meeting to start and so the talk led to fashion.
He's an older fellow, but when I mentioned that I was focusing on upgrading my wardrobe, he suggested that someone of my position in the company might try visiting a shop called Greenwoods. I'd never heard of them, but a quick google shows they're a local menswear chain and there's a store close by.

No idea what they'll stock, but I'll go have a look tomorrow and try take your advice on board.

Nate - I've just finished studying AAT and ordered books for CIMA today. My role is in management accounts, so work don't offer ACCA, but I hear CIMA is about it's equal.

I too changed up the work attire recently, even though the company I now work for has a more relaxed business casual atmosphere than where I came from. From a career standpoint that conversation you struck with the senior sales manager would probably earn you more "office points" than just upgrading the wardrobe alone. Gives a good impression that you care and you want to look better, hence maybe work harder and strive for betterment in the workplace overall.

I agree with some of the others suggesting to just look around at the senior management and try to dress somewhat comparable within your budget. I only differ in the advice of more muted/neutral shirts. My eye gravitates often to brighter, bolder colors. I already stick out from the crowd at 6'5" and a 56 extra long coat so I figure what the heck.

Moreover, find clothes that you're comfortable in both mentally and physically and don't overthink it too much. I would recommend getting a variety of shirts and slacks that work in your budget versus buying that one shirt or pair of slacks that taps you out financially. Same with shoes. Get a good well made pair that works with several outfits.

England is one of the great bastions of shoe and bootmaking. There are a number of terrific options for your feet without reaching across the pond. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to wear an oxblood-coloured shoe with grey trousers.

As far as the rest of your wardrobe is concerned...... try to pick up a couple of quality pieces (without spending your year's budget) and see how you feel wearing them. I love the English style of dressing and think that the gents around the city look really smart. Don't forget the hat!

If work is going to pay for CIMA go for it. It will definitely help you. You should check to see if CIMA and ACCA have a recognition agreement. If so, once your finish CIMA, you may be able to get your ACCA with minimal or no addition courses/exams.

Top Bottom