What's new

Talk me into or out of a slant

What razor do you get the best results from so far?

To me a slant gives a more efficient shave not more aggressive shave. Most folks will enjoy the experience because fewer passes equals less chance of irritation.

There aren't many cons to trying a DE Slant. They are very efficient because the blade slices through your beard at a slight angle. They commonly act like a more aggressive razor but I found they don't cause more irritation.

You don't have to worry about doing anything special when shaving with one. You shave with it exactly like a normal DE and the twist in the blade does its work.

The only disadvantages is their aren't that many slant razors out there. There are the Merkur 37C & 39C for about $40-$50 which are great for the cost but their fit & finish it a bit middle of the road. The Ikon slant is suppose to be a really nice stainless razor but it's about $150. There are some vintage slants out there but I haven't seen them come up to often. Many of them are plastic or Bakelite, I know there are a few members here who have some but I have no idea how they shave?

Give it a shot, or else you will never know. Personally, I didn't find any noticeable difference between my 38c HD long handle and my 39c Sledgehammer. On the other hand, most folks in the B.O.S.S. have a definite (and obvious) preference for the slant.

What razor do you get the best results from so far?

To me a slant gives a more efficient shave not more aggressive shave. Most folks will enjoy the experience because fewer passes equals less chance of irritation.
Do you do a 2 pass WTG/XTG shave & if so does the slant give you near BBS everywhere?

If you think that you might want to try a slant...just buy one and take it for a spin!

Personally, I don't like them. In my experience, they offer a weird mixture of aggressive and mild qualities that inevitably leads to a poor, bloody, uncomfortable shave.

I have the iKon Slant. It is definitely the best combo of smoothness and closeness that I've experienced from any razor I've tried. I say try one and sell it if you don't like it.

I tried one, but it really wasn't any different in my experience than doing the gillette slide, so I sold it.

Smoothness is the big thing. Smoothness plus efficiency. They also seem to pull more performance out of any given blade.

You should certainly try one if you never have before. My 39c cuts very smoothly and very efficiently, which I love. It's the most aggressive AND comfortable razor that I currently own. If you don't like or need aggressive razors, though, it might not be right for you.

- Badger Bill

Mixed feelings about Slants.

Pros - One of the smoothest, lowest "resistance" shavers that I've ever tried. It slices through stubble as though it didn't exist. The Merkur barberpole handle looks darn cool. It may look aggressive as all heck, but it's surprisingly well mannered in my opinion.

Cons - I would nick myself under my nose with it on the leading edge of the slanted blade. A "Gillette Slide" technique with a regular razor gives you some of the benefits of a Slant and can be done wherever and however you like. You have to pull up on the blade tabs when loading to make sure the blade aligns with the cap and not the base.

I think that it's an experience that everyone should at least try. I wouldn't get an Ikon unless I tried a cheaper Merkur and liked how a Slant worked.

Do you do a 2 pass WTG/XTG shave & if so does the slant give you near BBS everywhere?
I shave with less buffing than I would normally do with a comparable non-slant model used in a normal manner. For example, the slants below to me are similar to other common razors only they shave like a slanted version. The top one is a Merkur 37c which to me shaves like a 34c doing the Gillette slide. The middle one is a vintage Merkur and feels like a 40s Super Speed doing the slide. The Hoffritz double slant at the bottom is somewhere is the range of a 46-47 Aristocrat or red tip SS doing the Gillette slide. To me what you are buying when you pick up a slant is a fixed angle of a certain exposure razor. My shave this morning was with a 40s Super Speed (Astra SP, TOBS cream, Muhle Black Fibre brush) XTG, ATG and ATG, most of it with the handle about 10 degrees out of line with the direction of razor travel. Now about 13 hrs later about 95% of my shaved area from this morning has that soft golf ball - pre stubble feel with a trace of stubble in those hard to reach areas, concaved soft skin neck turning into jaw area. Very comfortable shave that was BBS through the work day still great smooth feel tonight. I have gotten that same shave many times from the vintage Merkur slant below in the in the middle.

So you can buy a slant or do the slide......what ever you prefer. Ain't this hobby great!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 120
Hmm. I appreciate all the input! I'm just going to buy one and see how it goes. I currently use a 34c as my primary. I realized that my routine is just that. Routine. I'm trying to get back to trying different things and stop being stagnant. Yeah slant here I come!

Do not get a slant razor if you do not like great performing razors.:wink2: I absolutely love my slant razors. I get incredible head and face shaves every time.:thumbup:

WARHAWK

My 37C Slant is great for every day use, but really shines on a three day old beard. I'm really glad to own one!

Top Bottom