What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VI - 2014 BBQ at B&B

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I love me some cast iron , usually go camping and some overnight car show/swap with the guys and I do a big pot ( i think it's a 12 qt pot ) of chili for who ever shows up

Same here. I am thinking of getting an enamelled Dutch Oven as my plain CI DO has not built up enough of a seasoning to handle tomato based foods yet.

We will hopefully be doing our first rack of lamb on the weekend...based on the pic s few pages back, we will smoke it for 90min or so, then sear on BBQ.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We will hopefully be doing our first rack of lamb on the weekend...based on the pic s few pages back, we will smoke it for 90min or so, then sear on BBQ.

How are you going to season it, if I may ask? I am leaning toward making meat lollipops, as I have already done a whole lamb before.

How are you going to season it, if I may ask? I am leaning toward making meat lollipops, as I have already done a whole lamb before.
My wife is the lamb lover, so will let her do that...but I'll post when I know.

I think the chops we did were kind of Greek...lemon, rosemary and some other herbs and spices. They were quite flavourful.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife is the lamb lover, so will let her do that...but I'll post when I know.

I think the chops we did were kind of Greek...lemon, rosemary and some other herbs and spices. They were quite flavourful.

How long do you marinate? I know lamb is easy to overpower. Do you do any garlic?

How long do you marinate? I know lamb is easy to overpower. Do you do any garlic?
To he honest....I have no idea. I believe it was a quick marinade/rub done shortly before we cooked them.

My wife is working, so I can't even bug her for answers...but I'll ask for for some answers.

My son was home for the weekend from his freshman year away at Texas Tech University. He requested prime strips and lobster (apparently, he figured we had some leftover disposable income after paying tuition, room, and board for the fall semester...). I rubbed the lobster tails with Old Bay and drizzled lemon juice on them while cooking. The asparagus was tossed with olive oil, cracked black pepper and Kosher salt, and the strips were rubbed with olive oil, mashed garlic, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper. We had a great night.

proxy.php

Cheers!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very nice lunch Owen, than trumps my ham sandwich, that I made for lunch.

The big one was about 18 oz. With that, a baked potato, and brocolli, I think I need a nap. I achieve flavor perfection with this steak. I am not sure what I did different, other than cooking it a few minutes longer as the wife doesn't like med rare. They came out medium, but ribeye can take a little extra cooking.

Looking good Owen- call me a barbarian but all the beautiful marbling in a ribeye cannot be released as flavor until it reaches 145-150 degrees- That is a solid medium and is considered blasphemy by some who eat it rare or less, but hey its your steak!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Jim. I have never had one medium before, but it was fantastic. I would never dream of doing a sirloin that long, though. Of course, I almost never buy sirloin.

Ribeye's are the only cut that I eat at a med temp. Like Jim said, there's something magical that happens when it's cooked above a certain degree .

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ribeye's are the only cut that I eat at a med temp. Like Jim said, there's something magical that happens when it's cooked above a certain degree .

Thanks for confirming. I had an inkling that cooking time may have been a factor, as that is the only thing I did different. My SOP is 15 minutes per side in Allegro marinade, then put on Montreal Steak House seasoning, then on the grill.

I too will take my ribeyes (especially bone in ribeyes) to more of a medium temp. Everything else I take to medium rare. I find ribeyes, when cooked to medium, tend to merge a bit more of the heavy marbling into the meat, and they firm up a bit as well. No way I take sirloin, strips, or filets to medium.

Another difference when cooking with ribeyes instead of another cut - I season the same way (rub with crushed garlic, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper), but I will brush other cuts with a bit of olive oil to help with the sear. I don't need to use oil on the ribeyes.

Good Lord. It's only 8am here. It's going to be a long day now that I have ribeyes on the brain...

Cheers,

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Just sitting outside enjoying the cool, cloudless evening while Q'ing some loaded ribs and two filet mignon.
sorry about the sideways photos but can't get it right with my phone.
marty

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 54
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 53
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 53

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Marty- if you shoot all your pics in a landscape orientation (first pic) as opposed to portrait (the next two) then you should be good. It seems this is a problem with a lot of cell phones, not just the iPhone.

Top Bottom