What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VI - 2014 BBQ at B&B

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Fired up the pit yesterday and BBQ'd a little bit of ribs, sausage, fajita, and mollejas (sweetbreads) for lunch this week. And an onion with butter and a cube of beef bullion wrapped in foil.
I am not much at picture taking.
$image.jpg$image.jpg

$IMAG0643.jpg

Small 3.5 lbs flat brisket on the menu for today. Slowly learning the new grill and how to control the temp. It's currently been on for about 6 hours. Hopefully it will be done before dark.

We were camping, so I made some of those grilled perogies from a couple pages. They were mini bite sized ones and turned out great with a side dipping sauce of BBQ.

I'll be making those again.....mmmmmm
$uploadfromtaptalk1405954718426.jpg

Last edited:
Elevated Grilled Cheese Sandwiches on my new Griddle-Q GQ-120

Fresh Sourdough, deli cut thick pepper bacon, sauteed sweet onion, Gouda, Red Hot Chili Pepper jack, Smoked Parmassean, koshur pickles and a side of Sour Cream and Onion Kettle chips.

Out littlest guy had a five cheese blend (pictured on the grill)

Best Grilled Cheese Ever!

View attachment 476523

$uploadfromtaptalk1406331253716.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1406331262346.jpg

another meal to break in the Griddle-Q today.

Kubi-dogs, fried onions (again) and top split fresh buns.

I busted out the cheese dome today too.

$10577080_683112661763163_6553600676783697437_n.jpg

$1977225_683122225095540_2265597996205591760_n.jpg

and the coolest thing...we split our little guys wiener into segemetns, serrated about 1/2 of the way through the dog, after it was done searing on the Griddle. Makes it much easier to bit through the sking and not have 1/2 the dog come off.

A trick from the Bannock-Shack Food Truck in Vermillion Bay

$unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Where did the bowl with the handle on the bottom in the last pic come from? Do they come in smaller sizes?

Amazon.com when I ordered my Griddle-Q, shipped to the border. It's a "Nordic Ware 365 Indoor/Outdoor Cheese Melting Dome" and has a 9" diamater and was just large enough for the 4 smokies. It looks like a common size, but they do have some other brands that make hamburger sized ones.

orks well, handle heats up obviously, but holds in heat and you can squirt some water under it and then trap it in with the food to sort of BBQ-Steam it.

Last edited:
30min to go. Busters Blueberry Based BBQ sauce has been applied. Wife is making some rice pilaf and baked beans will come from a can.

One of these days I'll make some fancy beans and/or from scratch.

$uploadfromtaptalk1406498521084.jpg

Last edited:
Never think to take pics during a cook. Today was the exception, I forgot to take pics of the two chucks that I smoked early today but I did manage to get one of the molasses/mustard glazed chicken thighs and the roasted corn on the cob. Missed the roasted roma tomatoes with fresh pesto and shaved Dubliner...they went very fast.

$IMG_20140727_174029768.jpg

$IMG_20140727_174644588.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We were supposed to have thunderstorms all weekend. Nope it was fantastic weather.

I found some apple wood a week ago . . . and the local supermarket had a better than average spread of pork ribs to pick from Saturday Morning.

Crazy day to fit it all in. Breakfast for all, walk the dog, brush the dog (not a minor undertaking I assure you) mow the lawn, water the garden, repair a light.

$Almost done.jpg

Ha 8 PM and the lightning has started.

I carry on . . . just doing what everybody does all the time.

We were supposed to have thunderstorms all weekend. Nope it was fantastic weather.

I found some apple wood a week ago . . . and the local supermarket had a better than average spread of pork ribs to pick from Saturday Morning.

Crazy day to fit it all in. Breakfast for all, walk the dog, brush the dog (not a minor undertaking I assure you) mow the lawn, water the garden, repair a light.

View attachment 477293

Ha 8 PM and the lightning has started.

I carry on . . . just doing what everybody does all the time.
Applewood and pork ribs make quite the pairing. Looks tasty.

I have 5lb bags of apple, pecan and cherry headed my way soon. It's hard to find here, so get family to bring back on road trips in the summer.

Good looking meals guys. Nice to see some BBQ and Smokers fired up this weekend.

I have 5lb bags of apple, pecan and cherry headed my way soon. It's hard to find here, so get family to bring back on road trips in the summer.

Good looking meals guys. Nice to see some BBQ and Smokers fired up this weekend.

I have a pecan tree in my back yard. Every time a limb comes down it gets cut up and added to the stack.

Tried my hand at curing and smoking bacon for the first time. Cured for a week, cold smoked for 6 hours, then turned the heat on and cooked to 150F to fully cook the bacon but not render the fat. Turned out pretty darn good if I can brag a little.

BACON by cxg231, on Flickr

Bacon! by cxg231, on Flickr

Sorry, no pictures with this one. One evening last weekend while I was on vacation I got out the el cheapo brinkman. Filled it with chicken breasts using a commercial rub and hickory chips. Since the coals were still pretty warm after 3 hours I refreshed the fire and hickory chips and followed up with boneless ribs with the same rub. I debated stopping for pictures, but it was pretty late and the light was not so good.

Top Bottom