What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VI - 2014 BBQ at B&B

And a smoked chicken is done! Hopefully it will be tasty!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416161179224.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416161179224.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 128
Since we are in the process of moving, we are in the process of packing and using up all the food in the freezer. I found that we had some nice ribs in the freezer and that gave me the perfect excuse to get out the Smokey Joe. A rub of cinnamon, garlic, salt, pepper, brown sugar, etc. on the ribs overnight. Then on to the smoker. I periodically misted them with a combo of apple cider vinegar and water (1:4 ratio) and this is what the ribs looked like.

$ribs.jpg

Then my wife put them in the oven with barbeque sauce on them at 275 for about 1 1/2 hours. The first portion of the meal looked like this. Ribs with slaw and potato salad. Topped off with a nice cold beer. And enough was left over for another meal.

$ribs dinner.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
The wife decided that I wanted to put some burgers on the pit tonight. They didn't all fit on this little pit

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 117
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 117
My wife is amazed that us "manly men" are interested in cooking. She made that observation to a girl friend of hers who came over today. :001_smile

My wife is amazed that us "manly men" are interested in cooking. She made that observation to a girl friend of hers who came over today. :001_smile

I cook as a means of survival. My wife can't boil water. If I want to eat, I have to cook.

Plus, the science of cooking appeals to the engineer in me. That's why my favorite cooking shows are Good Eats and America's Test Kitchen. They give you the why, and not just the how.

Supposed to let it mature in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Had to try some. It's good. Going to try some cold smoked salmon next.

Supposed to let it mature in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Had to try some. It's good. Going to try some cold smoked salmon next.

It definitely gets better with a vacuum packed rest in the refrigerator. I try to hold off for a month at least, I have one chunk left from June I'm saving until next week, the rest I did a couple of weeks ago, so by Xmas it will be good to go. What varieties did you use? My personal favorites for smoking are Pepper Jack, sharp cheddar, and Colby.

I too am going to make another batch of nova lox soon, I've been watching for a sale on wild caught salmon.

Got some jarlesberg (sp?) and New York cheddar from Aldi's. Extra sharp chedder from Walmart. Nothing expensive. The cheddar from Aldi's comes in black plastic. It is firm to the point of being kind of crumbly and has a nice sharpness.
I ordered some #1 cure and have some pork loin in the freezer so I may do Canadian bacon next instead of salmon.

Got some jarlesberg (sp?) and New York cheddar from Aldi's. Extra sharp chedder from Walmart. Nothing expensive. The cheddar from Aldi's comes in black plastic. It is firm to the point of being kind of crumbly and has a nice sharpness.
I ordered some #1 cure and have some pork loin in the freezer so I may do Canadian bacon next instead of salmon.

I don't do anything expensive either, normally Tillamook Extra sharp cheddar from Costco, and then whatever is on sale at the grocery store.

Please report back on the Canadian bacon, that is the one thing I have made that I wasn't happy with, to the point that I binned it rather than having the reminder of my failure every time I ate it. To salty for me, it's the only thing I've made using Morton's Tender Quick instead of cure #1, so I'm not sure if that had any part of it or not.

I don't do anything expensive either, normally Tillamook Extra sharp cheddar from Costco, and then whatever is on sale at the grocery store.

Please report back on the Canadian bacon, that is the one thing I have made that I wasn't happy with, to the point that I binned it rather than having the reminder of my failure every time I ate it. To salty for me, it's the only thing I've made using Morton's Tender Quick instead of cure #1, so I'm not sure if that had any part of it or not.

Letting it soak overnight in some plain water before cooking may have been the way to save it. I usually soak all my bacon overnight in clear water before I smoke it.

Letting it soak overnight in some plain water before cooking may have been the way to save it. I usually soak all my bacon overnight in clear water before I smoke it.

Do you normally do a fry test before deciding whether or not to soak it?

Not often. It's just what I got into the habit of doing with anything I cure.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I've thought of doing a fresh water soak but have worried that it will remove some of the flavor. I'll try it next time, I'm getting a belly for bacon this week.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Inspired by Bushhippi's thread on Jamaican Jerk chicken wings and a fatty, I fired up the smoker today.

The fatty was kind of a left overs thing...had swiss cheese, cheddar, and a mozzarella/cheddar mix, along with some diced ham, crumbled bacon, and some sauteed green onions, wild garlic, bell pepper and mushrooms.

Jerk wings, that had marinated overnight in the jerk paste, and fatty all ready to go.

Apple/Pecan mix of wood enveloping the meat.

I think the wings are done. Took a page out of Brucered's playbook and glazed the fatty with some homemade BBQ sauce for the last 30 minutes or so.

Wings look good.

Stick a fork in its butt, the fatty is done now.

Let the fatty rest for about 15 minutes or so before I cut it...and...Oh this stuff is soooo good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom