What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VI - 2014 BBQ at B&B

BBQ Guru on a kettle:

$Picture017.jpg$Picture027.jpg$Picture015.jpg$Picture014.jpg

Nice drum. They make for one of the best bang for the buck smokers around. What kind of therm did you use. The one we have at work (we built it) has a cheap therm that is way to far off.

Thanks! I love the ability to set the temp and pretty much walk away until the meat is done. I have way less than $100 in this one.

The thermometer is a River Country 3" dial w/ 3" probe and yes, it's pretty accurate. Also, I'm able to check the temp from looking out the window due to the large face so that's nice as well.

Bebe...I'd love to have a roto! Bet you turn out some awesome whole chickens on that performer.

Bebe...Never seen a Web Egg! Is that a smoky mountain with the center extension piece removed?

Wid...looks like you have a good Sunday planned! What did you rub those down with? I like brown sugar, black pepper, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Enjoy!

lol, yes, it's an 18"WSM bowl
I installed Genesis garage door handles, from Lowes - they're double duty, as handle and also supports for a cast iron grate. Both grates have U-bolts, which i bent to be easier to grab. Also, the legs have a tab, so the cover won't slip away.

The rub is basically brown sugar, paprika (Spanish and sharp Hungarian) red pepper, black pepper, chicken bouillon, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.

Nice US, I made one a few years ago and use it all the time. Nothing like 3-2-1 ribs and 12 hour Boston Butts. I frequent the smoke ring, what a good site for bbq. I too used an oil drum and a old Webber lid I had laying around. Good job on yours.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Wonderful stuff guys.

There are threads from the previous several years you may want to look at. If you need a link send me a PM. We do have some seriously good stuff happening.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Just used this yesterday and will use it again tomorrow

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
I really should finish my UDS as I've got all the bits for it. When summer rolls around I think I'll get it done, these short and cold days are no fun for BBQ

My humble setup is a Big Green Egg and a Rock Stoker controller. Works well enough for my family of 4.

And one of my favorite uses of my BGE isn't really BBQ, but Stir-fry.

anywhere in btw 1.5 and 2hr/pound, depending if boneless or bone in, 'til they reach at least 200*F.
I keep the smoker at 225*F. I usually put them on around 8-9pm so they're done by next day late afternoon.

Last edited:
Be careful cooking a butt so long. You do recall that at least the outside of the roast needs to be over 140 within 4 hours to avoid bacteria build up.

1hr/pound at 225*? what's the meat temp? I dont remember reaching 200* that fast (i have WSMs only, 18 and 22", i don't have a drum though)
most of the time i do two butts, one on each rack. I vacuum and freeze what i dont use.
You pull it right away, don't let it rest in a cooler, wrapped ?

Be careful cooking a butt so long. You do recall that at least the outside of the roast needs to be over 140 within 4 hours to avoid bacteria build up.
tell you the truth, i never checked the outside temp... i set the alarm at 200* and leave the probes in all along, i dont babysit it. At ~170* it stalls, the bigger the meat the longer the stall. Many ppl are tempted to crank up the temp, i never do.
After i let it rest for another hour or so it pulls just by blowing at it :laugh:

hey, i still alive :laugh::laugh:

tell you the truth, i never checked the outside temp... i set the alarm at 200* and leave the probes in all along, i dont babysit it. At ~170* it stalls, the bigger the meat the longer the stall. Many ppl are tempted to crank up the temp, i never do.
After i let it rest for another hour or so it pulls just by blowing at it :laugh:

hey, i still alive :laugh::laugh:

That may be but if your probing the meat then the game changes. When you probe a piece of muscle meat you are pushing any bacteria that would be on the outside deep into the meat, therefore your internal temp should be over 140 within 4 hours. Just a suggestion, wait to probe the meat and let the outside come up to temp.

Top Bottom