What's new

Got some jarring done tonight

$IMG_20140101_201012_829.jpg

2nd round of jars (round 1 was about 6-8 months ago) but I still need more.

Very nice!
I have started with some jarring and I used the short widemouth ball jars. I am wondering if the ones you used might make storage easier though. I think I might pickup a rack of those for my next session as i am waiting on a small order to arrive.

Very nice!
I have started with some jarring and I used the short widemouth ball jars. I am wondering if the ones you used might make storage easier though. I think I might pickup a rack of those for my next session as i am waiting on a small order to arrive.
I like the wide mouth jars, too. Easier to pinch out a bowl's worth. While they don't stack terribly well on their own, I've been keeping them in the boxes they came in, then stacking the boxes. Works like a charm.

Thanks guys!
I finally got the ratio figured. Those jars are 8oz jars. 1oz of tobacco fits easily with no packing and about 1"-1-1/2" of space from the top. I did squeeze in two Oz's but I had to pack it a little.
My last round of jarring I used all 32oz jars and they left two much room in the jar as well as two much room in my cabinet.
Stacking worked well two high.

Thanks guys!
I finally got the ratio figured. Those jars are 8oz jars. 1oz of tobacco fits easily with no packing and about 1"-1-1/2" of space from the top. I did squeeze in two Oz's but I had to pack it a little.

Interesting. I have been jarring in a four to one ratio. An 8oz mason jar holds 2oz of tobacco, a 16oz jar will hold 4oz of tobacco, etc. Granted I have to pack it a little bit but I don't want too much air in the jar.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have been jarring in a four to one ratio. An 8oz mason jar holds 2oz of tobacco, a 16oz jar will hold 4oz of tobacco, etc. Granted I have to pack it a little bit but I don't want too much air in the jar.

Agreed! Its good to hear what others get out of a jar. I'm never really sure how tight is right.

$JAR.jpg
I'm not sure if these are the wide mouth jars others are talking about. They're Ball's "Collection Elite" or something like that. Each 8oz jar holds 2oz of tobacco with minimum packing, and it closely resembles the size and shape of most tobacco tins in my collection. They don't like to stay stacked, though. I'm still in love with the shape, so on my travels I'll find some sort of shelf or case to put them in.

View attachment 398983
I'm not sure if these are the wide mouth jars others are talking about. They're Ball's "Collection Elite" or something like that. Each 8oz jar holds 2oz of tobacco with minimum packing, and it closely resembles the size and shape of most tobacco tins in my collection. They don't like to stay stacked, though. I'm still in love with the shape, so on my travels I'll find some sort of shelf or case to put them in.

Yep. Those are the ones. Perfect for an opened 50g tin or up to about 2oz. of tobacco. I also use the regular 16oz jars (with the same sized lid) for 100g tins or 4oz of bulk.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose

This is usually my method as well.

I got a plastic Sterlite flip-top bin at Target that fits 60 of those 8 oz wide mouth mason jars perfectly. They line up 3x4 per row and stack 5 rows high. I think it was $12. I put thick paper along the sides to keep the light out.

I love to see everyone's teqniques, info, & favorite jar packing methods. Keep them coming! Tips, tricks & knowledge certainly help everyone!

I got a plastic Sterlite flip-top bin at Target that fits 60 of those 8 oz wide mouth mason jars perfectly. They line up 3x4 per row and stack 5 rows high. I think it was $12. I put thick paper along the sides to keep the light out.

I would have that bolted to the floor like a safe! Lotta precious cargo!

I like the wide mouth jars, too. Easier to pinch out a bowl's worth. While they don't stack terribly well on their own, I've been keeping them in the boxes they came in, then stacking the boxes. Works like a charm.

I should have saved the boxes. I will now. Thanks

I just realized I had a couple of these containers and they are the perfect size to hold 24 of the 8oz wide mouth Ball jars shown above in sets of 6 stacked 4 high for those searching for a stackable storage system. I use them for critter feed and and they stack very well and stable too. The latches hinge so either side can be hinged open or the top lifted off completely just as easily.

$IMG_9197.jpg $IMG_9198.jpg

Being that I have some more baccys that need a long term home, I figured I'd give them a try!$IMG_20140104_205008_127.jpg

If your filling them with loose leaf be sure the tobacco is off the rim. I have a couple of mine to find strands pressed into the seal and I was careful in closing the lids.

Top Bottom