What's new

BOTD - Beer of the Day - 2014

Got back Monday night from a long weekend trip to Oregon (2 nights in the Willamette Valley and 1 night in Portland). Drank a lot of good wine but tried to fit in as much local beer as possible too since there's such a great selection...
Night 1 had a Heater-Allen pils on tap at dinner, and then a 10 Barrel 'Project Failed' nitro red back at the B&B later that night.
$Newberg-20140214-00982.jpg $Newberg-20140214-00983.jpg

Day 2, more good wine, then visited a couple spots in McMinnville for drinking and dinner.
We wandered into a building to escape the rain where my wife wanted to grab a coffee; turns out it was attached to a brewpub called Grain Station, so I tasted a couple things including their White IPA, and settled on a pint of their Nut Red.
$Grain Station taplist.jpg

After Grain Station we walked a couple blocks over to Heater Allen, which I was really excited to check out. I found out recently that the brewer/owner Rick Allen is the father of a buddy of mine from college, I had emailed with him prior to our trip so it was cool to say hi and chat. Their beer is getting a lot of great attention and ratings, apparently The French Laundry was asking if they could get their beer into the restaurant... so we tasted through their beers on tap as well as a beer they were pouring that hadn't finished fermenting. While chatting with Rick I asked if they ever held any beers back for a few years to see how they're aging, this was a completely innocent question with no agenda implied, but he grinned and went in the back and pulled out a few beers from the back that were 2-3 years old for us to try. The 2011 baltic porter (Sandy Paws) was really yummy, great hazelnut and cocoa scent and flavor, and very smooth. The 2013 porter was also very smooth for being a younger version, but had a much tighter flavor profile without as much going on (yet). Rick auctions off the label rights where the winner gets to put their dog on the label, and donates the proceeds to local charity.
Bobtoberfest is a special beer they do in memory of a guy named Bob Wood who passed away a couple years ago, he was very popular in the OR wine community and an active member on another forum I'm a member of (WineBerserkers).
$HeaterAllen taplist.jpg $Heater beers.jpg $aged Bobtoberfest.jpg

For dinner on Day 2 we ate at a small place in McMinnville called Walnut City Kitchen, really good comfort food with reasonable prices... had a Deschutes Red Chair NW Pale Ale on tap.
$Deschutes Red Chair.jpg
The following day we went up to Portland, and stopped into the Deschutes brewpub for a taster flight and some snacks. Tried out the Saison De Perle, Gritty's Best Bitter, Double Impact Belgian IPA (very bitter), Hidden Sun NWPA, Jubel Kriek (tons of tart cherry, really interesting), and Hop Henge Experimental IPA.
$Deschutes.jpg

With dinner that night at Veritable Quandry had a Double Mountain Vaporizer Pale Ale on tap (no photo)

We ended up with extra time at the airport Monday evening since our flight was delayed, so I decided to stop into both brewpubs at the airport (close enough to visit the different terminals. First had a tasting flight at Laurelwood: Mother Lode Golden Ale, Himmelbrau Helles Lager, Workhorse IPA, Free Range Red, Red Elephant IRA, Tree Hugger Porter, Portland Roast Espresso Stout, and one other pale ale I'm forgetting and can't find the name of...
$Laurelwood.jpg

Then jammed over to Rogue and had a big chocolate stout, and picked up a bottle of the Portland State IPA to take home. All in a good day's work!

Great pick s and trip, since the kid was born about two years ago I haven't been to a lot of brewery events
We are definitely getting in as many trips as possible before it's time for kids, I know that travel at that point will be hard to come by...

Had a 2012 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine last night on tap. Also some Lakewood Raspberry Temptress, and Saint Arnold Bishop Barrel 4 & 5. All were spectacular.

Tonight I'm enjoying a "bomber" of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I put bomber in quotes because unlike most other breweries, Sierra's bombers are 24 ounces. I dig that. I reuse Sierra Nevada bombers for small-batch homebrews so adding more to the collection is always a good thing.

Stopped at the local brew pub last night, I'd just ordered a pitcher of a house IPA when I saw a new beer on the board, a Chili Limon Wit beer (unfortunately no link ontheir webpage for it yet :/ ), which while pretty good imo would have been better substituting some smoke for the lemon flavor

A couple pit-stops yesterday for beer and food...

2 shorty's at the yardhouse:
Rogue St. Rogue dry-hopped red, and
Green Flash Hop Head Red
There were literally 6 other beers that I tried to order that they were out of, apparently they were getting ready to change kegs in a few days and a bunch of stuff hadn't been replaced...

Then on the Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach, have been looking forward to trying this place out. Got a bunch of grub and drank:
Beachwood's Rose Royce, a saison with rose petals (really nice)
Grimbergen Dubbel
Stone Matt's Burning Rosids, smoked saison

A few brews on tap with a couple buddies yesterday:
Ommegang Hennepin
Bootlegger's Golden Chaos
Drake's 1500
North Coast Red Seal

Top Bottom