What's new

What's Cooking, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was in the oven at 200C/390F for almost 3 hours, I think maybe it just needs slower rendering, but going off a lot of Austrian recipes it can be done in this kind of time

How much does it weigh Dave? I would imagine that the bone would act as a thermal mass and you would need to cook it longer. I think Jim's suggestion of a much longer cook is spot on.

You could try removing the skin and deboning it, as a last resort. Or maybe deboning it and stuffing it with something.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Put a 3 3/4lb brisket (rubbed with salt) and wrapped in cellophane in the fridge. Tomorrow, I will prepare Atlanta Brisket (using Coca-Cola).

It was in the oven at 200C/390F for almost 3 hours, I think maybe it just needs slower rendering, but going off a lot of Austrian recipes it can be done in this kind of time

Good luck, Dave. Putting hocks and trotters in soup always makes the skin tender for me--given enough time, of course. Maybe a nice braise is what you need. This reminds me...I'm sitting on a few of these hocks and need to brine and smoke them.

Last night I did some chili with some left over frozen BBQ brisket. It was fantastic!

Everything laid out
$photo 1.JPG
Brisket cubed
$photo 2.JPG
Veggies sweating
$photo 3.JPG
Spices ready to go in
$photo 4.JPG
Finished product
$photo 5.JPG

I took my failed pork shank and stripped off the meat and roughly chopped it up. It's simmering away in a ragú with some fennel seed

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Lamb Tamales. This is my first attempt. Tasty but room to improve.
Two flavours both with lamb tenderloins. One with a chili base sauce and the other a salsa Verde. The one I added the salsa verde was the best by far.

$20141101_172839.jpg

$20141101_174821.jpg

$20141101_174948.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Wow...I'm impressed. Tamales made by a Kiwi in NZ? The world is becoming a smaller place. Who would of thought? Good job Chris, those look awesome. If you've got left overs, save them for the big game today.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Aaron, I will need a better steamer if I was to do bigger batches.
yeah B&B is making this a small world for sure. Almost kick off time, TV coverage starts at 8:30am NZ time. Go the All Black.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
What the heck is going on here- Atlanta brisket?

After rubbing the brisket with salt, it was wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for a couple of days. Then into the skillet for a nice sear.

It's in the oven...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 51
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 51
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 51
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 51
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 51

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
some more pics... into the oven at 325 degrees for 3.5 hours. Afterwards, I'll let it cool down and into the fridge and allow it to sit in its own juices overnight. Tomorrow, I'll slice it and put it back into the sauce and cover it with parchment paper and tin foil and put it back in the oven at 350 for one hour. After that, hopefully, I'll be in brisket heaven.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 50
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 50
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 50
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 50
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes sir I would say that is the breakfast of champions. Sometimes a little grated cheese on top of the tamale is good. I just had some of your hot sauce and kippers...very good.

Not a great picture, but made a beef and barley stew in the slow cooker. Add to that a baguette from an artisanal breadmaker and a glass of Malbec, it's the perfect meal for a chilly north Florida evening.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1414883045166.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1414883045166.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 47
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom