What's new

What's Cooking, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
New Years Day Black Eyed Peas & Cornbread.
In cast iron glory!
Also a small pot of rice.

oh yeah...served in a cereal bowl :001_tongu

My first attempt at Bahn Mi. They were delicious and we will be making many more.

proxy.php

On a quest to perfect gnocchi

$1505552_10152204791299994_1485257046_n.jpg

And the finished dish - gnocchi in a chilli pesto and cream sauce, with shaved asparagus and a lemon vinaigrette

$1517392_10152204326704994_342333865_n.jpg

that gnocchi looks great!

I've been working on gnocchi as well. I've had intermittent success, a few really good batches and a couple of duds. What's odd is that there doesn't seem to be any middle ground with gnocchi, it's either great or it's a gummy mess.

This is a combination of two dishes. My cousin from Abruzzo uses onion, red pepper and olive together in several dishes, but here I go for more leeks than onion, red wine, and pungent herbs. Chicken with leeks, red peppers and kalamata olive.

Leeks, onion and pepper sautéing in the brown bits after searing the chicken:

$image.jpg

Chicken back in the pot with a sachet of rosemary and chili pepper before going in the oven with chicken stock and red wine:

$image_1.jpg

Served with plenty of broth:

$image_2.jpg

Thanks!

What's odd is that there doesn't seem to be any middle ground with gnocchi, it's either great or it's a gummy mess.

Very true, my first four batches were a complete failure. Are you using a potato ricer? Those things make a world of difference

That looks like a fantastic winter dish, Marco. I may have to try something similar tonight :001_smile in the meantime the photo's just making me hungry!

I might as well pass on the recipe for this one.

Dutch oven chicken with red peppers and olives

4-5 lb chicken cut into 8 pieces
1 tbsp veg oil
3 large red peppers diced
2 leeks cut into thick coins and rinsed
1 Spanish onion
8 cloves garlic, chopped
A big handful of pitted kalamata olives
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups red wine
3 sprigs rosemary
2 dried chili peppers

Preheat oven to 325. Season the chicken. On the stove, heat the oil in the dutch oven and brown the chicken in batches. Set aside.

Wrap and tie the rosemary and chili pepper in cheese cloth to keep the herbs off the plate at service time.

Add leek, onion, and red peppers to the pot and sauté until soft--adding a tablespoon of olive oil if necessary--about 15 minutes. Add garlic and cook another couple of minutes. Place chicken back into the pot along with any juices that have collected. Add the sachet of rosemary and chili, add the olives. Add chicken broth and wine. Place the pot uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes. Stir the chicken and cover. Reduce heat to 300 degrees and cook for another 30 to 40 minutes.

A little after the fact, but here's the stuffed pork shoulder I made for New Years Eve. This dish is from a fantastic book I received from my brother who really gets good food. I can't recommend the book "In The Charcuterie" enough. http://www.amazon.com/In-The-Charcuterie-Sausage-Confits/dp/1607743434

The recipe is quite easy, but the thing that made a big difference in flavor was the 24 hour seasoning of the raw shoulder. It was cooked to about 145 degrees internal temp. Very different from my previous experiences with pork shoulder where the goal was to pull the meat. Anyways, onto the photos.

Stuffed with swiss chard, sliced garlic, and toasted walnuts:

$image.jpg

Folded over and ready for the twine:

$image_1.jpg

Braised on top of large slices of onions to keep it off the bottom of the pot:

$image-4.jpg

Ready for the knife:

$image_2.jpg

Juicy goodness:

$image_3.jpg

Tonight I'm making a very simple and unsophisticated stew, but it's perfect for this time of year - chicken thighs browned in schmaltz, chorizo, onions and garlic with potatoes and parsnips. Instead of broth I'm using beer, because why not? All seasoned with nothing but salt, black pepper, bay leaves and a little nutmeg

Got a lamb stew simmering away now for the next hour and a half or so.

Cubed lamb (surprisingly)
Sliced onions
Sliced carrots
Garlic finely chopped
Red wine
Tommy puree
Veal stock from a powder
Rosemary and thyme from the balcony
Salt, pepper and a touch of sugar to balance the acid from the wine and puree

Brown the meat, saute the veg, bit of flour, stir in wine and stock, 2 tblsp TP and bring to a simmer. Add the herbs and seasoning and simmer. It should be OK, but I will let you know… It smells fine so far!

$IMG_0240.jpg$IMG_0237.jpg$IMG_0239.jpg$IMG_0235.jpg
Lunch today: Poulet Basquaise.

Got some chicken legs and seasoned with salt and a pepper mix I brought in France, I am not 100% certain what is in there other than Espelette Pepper, and then browned in butter.

Set aside and let the pan cool a bit then in with sliced onion, red and green pepper and finely chopped garlic. Sweat for a bit then add some flour and in with liquid. You could use white wine but I didn't want to open a bottle especially for it so I just used chicken stock today. Bring to a gentle simmer and cover the pan. Cook until the chicken is done. Then crank the heat up to thicken the sauce and serve. I made roast potatoes using some duck fat which worked out really well.

Top to bottom: pots roasting away with some thyme and garlic in the tray, sweating the veggies, thickening the sauce and browning the chicken to start with.

This weekend the wife and I made Tuffle Gnocchi with a mushroom ragu. It was our first time making gnocchi and we learned alot! Next time we need more flour in it haha. The sauce was amazing though!

$Gnocchi.JPG$ragu.JPG$Finished Gnocchi.JPG

I finally found a cheap copy of 'The Classic Italian Cookbook' by Marcella Hazan and tonight I'm trying her bolognese recipe. It seems ludicrously simple and very different to any recipe I've seen before but so far it tastes and smells fantastic. I'm using minced duck bulked up with a little beef. Turns out I'm really bad at butchering ducks so this should make the most out of the meat I have

It can be simple, or can be complex depending on how you layer ingredients and how you construct the final product. This recipe is more on the simple side and turned out to be very tasty. In future I'll continue to use livers though as I love the depth of flavour that they add

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom