What's new

What's Cooking, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
wife is brewing up her third batch of cornbread today. I simply suggested a batch after this mess hall posts. the thrill of corn is in the air. last receipe is laurainthekitchen.com

$IMG_0570.jpg
Nine pints of apple butter, two half pints.
Eight pounds of Jonah Gold apples peeled, cored, quartered; cooked to soft in 4 cups of water, coarsely chopped; cooked with 8 cups of sugar, 4 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves; stirred over med-low heat until stirrer's arm is ready to fall off and butter mounds on spoon; placed hot in jars and water-bathed for 10 minutes. Really love that Jonah Gold apple, crisp and tart and whopping big. The balance of the 3 pecks will end up 'encrusted' before being cut into pie-shaped wedge portions.

Love those jars with the metal clips.

Me too. Family heirlooms for my wife. Her grandmother used them. We found a cache of 4 dozen pints, quarts even a half gallon jar a few years ago, cleaned them up, bought new rubber rings and they've been in service since for our water-bath canning. They're sort of the straight razor of canning - everything reusable almost indefinitely. With the new stuff you have to throw away used lids and buy new ones every season.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
looks nice Aaron. Do you have your slice jalapenos fresh or preserved.

Thanks. These are fresh. But I keep both at all times. The tamales were so rich, creamy and filling. Probably one of the best tamales I have eaten. These tamales were hand made locally and not cheap. It is labor intensive. 6 extra large tamales for $9 dollars....ouch. Worth every penny.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Shredded 3 potatoes (soaked in cold water and then drained) with two eggs over easy and some wheat toast. Griswold #10 and #5.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 50
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom