What's new

What's Cooking, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
St. Patrick's day corned beef, cabbage, carrots pressure cooked. Oven baked potato.
$Irish dinner-1.jpg
$Irish dinner-2.jpg

$dinner.jpg
28 day dry aged Ribeye from Bristol farms. Roasted potato loaded with Kerrygold, Daisy and scallions. Gli spinachi soffritti.
And the '08 Barbi isn't bad.

Made some good burger last night. Lot's of compliments as I kept it super simple. I only added sea slat, fresh ground black pepper and smoked Hungarian paprika. Threw it on the grill at 800 on both side then slow cooked it till done. Made some fresh guacamole too.LOL, my daughter who is pregnant called dibs on the extra burgers to take home. Don't get that often.

Tomorrow's lunch, peri-peri chicken. I made a marinade of 6 large chillies roughly chopped, one de-seeded bird's eye chilli, 3 cloves of garlic, teaspoon each of salt and sugar, tablespoon of dried oregano and of mild paprika. 100ml olive oil and 50 ml red wine vinegar.

Simmer for about 5 mins and then blitz till smooth.

Cool in the fridge and then put into a plastic bag with chicken legs and back to the fridge over night.

To cook, I scrape off most of the marinade, then bake the legs in a 200C oven for about 30 mins or until done through and in a small pan boil the marinade for 10 - 15 mins to a, make it safe to eat(!) and b, thicken it into a dipping sauce, served on the side.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For Good Friday I took my kid for ramen at Mitsuwa. Dinner was a couple of steaks marinated in my grandma's old recipe:

1T sake
2T mirin
1T rice vinegar
2 oz. hatcho miso (very dark, almost black miso)
1T shio koji (fermented rice with Aspergillus oryzae mold)
2T yuuki marudaizu soy sauce
minced garlic and ginger

My favourite butcher had lamb racks on promotion yesterday, so I picked one up. It would have been rude not to.

While I was paying I noticed a flyer with a recipe for balsamic and honey glazed lamb chops and I thought I might try that with the rack.

I took about a 1/4 cup of balsamic, and about the same of runny honey, a pinch of salt, one craushed clove of garlic and a sprig of rosemary from Elia's herb garden (the pots on the balcony!). I boiled it until it was quite thick but still a bit liquid.

Seasoned the lamb and browned in a hot pan then into the oven for 20 mins. At 15 mins I applied the glaze.

Then I added some beef stock and a glass of wine to the rest of the glaze and heated it up, then reduced it.

Took the lanmb out to rest, then carved into chops and served with the sauce.

It was a winner. As was I, later...

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For Good Friday I took my kid for ramen at Mitsuwa. Dinner was a couple of steaks marinated in my grandma's old recipe:

1T sake
2T mirin
1T rice vinegar
2 oz. hatcho miso (very dark, almost black miso)
1T shio koji (fermented rice with Aspergillus oryzae mold)
2T yuuki marudaizu soy sauce
minced garlic and ginger

This worked out so well I decided to try another, hotter version today. Pretty much the same, with the substitution of aka miso (red) for the hatcho miso, white soy sauce, and the addition of some blazingly hot yuzu kosho. A nice rib steak is marinating in it as I type.

BTW, shio koji makes everything taste better.

$wn1112_Marukome_sub.jpg

$41vb2qPIQPL.jpg

Re wine-braised lamb shank over smashed peas, with carrots and pearl onions.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom