What's new

What's Cooking, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made Deer burgers for the first time last night. Needed beef fat added, didn't have any on hand. They tasted great but were dry.

$Deer grind.JPG

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Soup -
I browned a roast in a skillet, then put it in a crock pot with onions, carrots, and beef broth, letting it cook overnight.
$IMG_4755.jpg

The next morning, I sliced the beef, added potatoes, frozen veggies and more broth, letting it cook all day.
Then in the evening we had soup. It was pretty good.

$IMG_4759.jpg

My butcher finally had some lamb shanks in today so I have 2 simmering away in a Mughlai style curry sauce.

I made a paste from garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin powder and marinaded the lamb for about 4 hours.

Then browned in hot oil and set aside.

Coriander, tumeric, chili powder, touch of powdered clove, cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick into the pan, and fried off. Added sliced onions and garlic, fried for a further couple of mins, then sliced red chillies. Added a can of chopped tomatoes, and a good slug of tomato puree. Added some sugar to offset the acidity of the tomato puree.

Then water and a small tub of Greek yoghurt and salt and black pepper.

Bring to a simmer and back in with the shanks and I plan to cook them for about 1.5 hours.

They will be served with plain steamed rice - there is enough flavour going on with the lamb I think.

thawed out some mole i made a few months back, roasted some chicken and cooked up some black beans from scratch. Tasty dinner.
$photo(200).jpg

Last night's dinner

Chicken, onion, broccoli, carrots, garlic, red bell pepper, dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, toasted almonds, simmered in chardonnay and chicken stock, served over brown rice

proxy.php

Those look deeeelicious. Can't wait to can next year. Gave the garden a rest this year. Those look great. Let us know how they taste please.

Well, I usually try to resist for three days, but I couldn't resist and tried some of the hot pickles after 48 hours...

Half a jar later I have determined that they are ****ing delicious! :laugh:

Last edited:
Last night's dinner

Chicken, onion, broccoli, carrots, garlic, red bell pepper, dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, toasted almonds, simmered in chardonnay and chicken stock, served over brown rice

That looks and sounds delicious.

Last night's dinner

That looks and sounds delicious.

I am big on one pan meals (well.... rice or pasta would basically take another pan to cook it in but I combined them into the main pan with the sauce before serving).

Meat, starch, veggies all cooked together. Does not look "restaurant presentation" level but it taste fantastic

Last night's dinner

proxy.php

Looking good. What pan is that?

Easy skillet rice and beans
1 tablespoonCanola Oil
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 can (15 oz) Black Beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (14.5 oz)Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoesw/Garlic,undrained
3/4 cup water
1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, undrained tomatoes and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Add rice; stir well. Cover; remove from heat and let stand 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with warm tortillas

Stuffed Pork Loin for supper:
Pork Loin, mozzarella, sauteed spinach w/garlic, roasted red peppers, prosciutto.
Rosemary, salt pepper.

All tied up, ready to cook:

And out of the oven:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom