What's new

What's Cooking, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the inside :w00t: I'm pretty happy with this, I've not made pie in a long time and the last couple fell apart! I threw some carrots and tomatoes in there just to pretend that it's healthy...

Nice! You should put up a recipe, or maybe a tutorial. Adding carrots and tomatoes makes it vegetarian.

Corn.

I post this every year. We have a civic holiday here first Monday in August. Simcoe day after the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. If you are not cooking your corn my way . . . you are doing it wrong.

My way: Peel back the husk gently . . . remove the silk . . . put the husks back and soak in a cold water sink for a while and then grill them on the grill for 20 minutes . . . lid down . . . turning every so often.

View attachment 480271

We have them with lime or butter and a bit of salt. . . this time I added a bit of a grind of pepper and coriander. Coriander thanks to a thread about pepper mills.

That is the ONLY way I make corn these days. It's fantastic

Man ... found a ridiculously easy recipe for grilled cauliflower the other night, and it's delicious.

The recipe calls for cutting the cauliflower into thick slabs, but I could only manage two slabs that would hold together, so I improvised a bit.

Brush a little olive oil on them, sprinkle with a mix of two teaspoons of seasoning salt (like Lawry's) and then a tablespoon of brown sugar. Place on the grill (if you are doing slabs - I put mine in my veggie grilling basket) to get a char on them, and then transfer them to a pan that you can put a lid on (or foil - that's what I did) and cook til almost tender. Once there, take the lid off, turn up the heat a little and get that mix to carmelize a little more. Totally delicious and so easy.

Beef and broccoli in a black bean sauce.

$uploadfromtaptalk1407884519036.jpg

I took my new Blackstone 36 in to work and cooked 120 hamburgers and 112 hotdogs

Attachments

• $20140812_172327.jpg
    $20140812_172327.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 138
Pie filling -
4 large onions finely chopped
500g ground beef
250ml beef stock
3 diced carrots
5 large tomatoes
3 bay leaves
Salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce to taste

The pie crust -
300g plain white flour
75g butter
75g lard
A few tbsp cold water

For the filling it's pretty self explanatory - caramelise the onions in a mix of butter and oil until they're nice and dark, remove from the pan then brown the beef in batches. Add the onions back to the pan along with the carrot, tomatoes (you can blanch and peel them if you like) bay leaves and beef stock cover and simmer/reduce down until the mixture doesn't have any pooling of liquid on top of it. You want no excess liquid in it. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire to taste then leave to cool completely. I refrigerated it overnight. There're any number of ways to improve the filling, this is just stuff that I had to hand

For the pastry I tend to use a blender - add your flour and a pinch of salt along with the cubed lard and butter and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. The butter and lard must be chilled and you mustn't overwork the dough otherwise it'll never come together. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of water over the mixture and pulse again very briefly until you see the mixture start to come together in clumps - add more water and repeat if necessary. Once the dough's looking pretty clumpy, empty the contents onto a work surface and work the dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least half an hour. It's important to keep the dough cold.

Grease up a springform tin (the one I used was about 30cm wide and 7.5cm deep) and roll out your pastry until it's the thickness of a thick coin. Line the tin with pastry, gently pressing it around the sides until it's a good fit, then trim off the excess to use as a lid. Fill the pastry until it's nice and level, then roll out and add the lid - egg wash the edges of the pie base to help it stick, then place the lid on, trim around the edges and use a fork to press the edges together gently. Then egg wash the lid of the pie and add a couple of slits for the steam and bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F on the middle shelf

If you've done it right, then after a 10-20 minute rest you should be able to remove the pie fully intact from the tin :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well carnivore today. A couple of Angus strip steaks.

$Steak.jpg
Bit of olive oil and a bit of Montreal steak spice. My face and stomach are happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom