What's new

The 2014 Gun Range Thread

Finally go to the trap range last nite, last time I went it was 16 degrees fahrenheit, so it has been a while...

Only shot one round, and got 21, I was pretty happy.

$WP_20140216_004.jpg$WP_20140216_003.jpg

I went and put rounds through my much beloved CZ, and made sure I was still sharp on my carry pistols. I wish ammo wasn't ridiculous. I'm rusty on the wheel.

finally got the new barrel fit in my sig 229 and running flawlessly, used it in a shoot house I set up and ran for my local consevation club's defensive pistol shooting.

Finally got out to the range today to sight in a recently inherited rifle.

I've inherited a pre-64 Winchester 94, chambered in .32 Win spl. It was my father-in-law's, father's gun, and hasn't been fired since at least the '80s. Put 8-10 rounds through it, and got it grouping nicely at 100 yards.

Looking forward to to getting it into the woods this deer season.

I went to Spokane to visit my brother and his fam for a couple days and brought all my blasters: savage 17hmr, Ruger SR22 and Ruger SR9 with the hope that we could get out to do something about it. it was a busy time anyway. we ended up going to a friends gravel pit and spent an hour there mowing through every scrap of ammo I had. it was my youngest nephews first time firing a gun, so we had a great time. that boy is a crack shot too! god bless video games I guess. on another note, my SR9 was giving me trouble out of the box and would stove pipe more than 50% of the time and I hadn't shot it since. I had worked on it some hoping I had fixed the problem, and it turns out that I had! the barrel and barrel hood on in looked like it never had any attention after machining, and there were machine marks and what looked like casting marks all over it and the linkage. I polished it up, and now it runs like a top! SR22 is a simple joy to shoot btw

proxy.php

This was actually about 3 weeks ago, but I took my wife shooting for the first time. We rented a Beretta M9 from the base and put 100 rnds through it. We're now shopping for a handgun.

My son at the FFA high school district sporting clays competition, he busted 15/20 and his team was leading when we left. Still haven't heard if they qualified for state.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 57
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 58

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My son at the FFA high school district sporting clays competition, he busted 15/20 and his team was leading when we left. Still haven't heard if they qualified for state.

Let us know the outcome!

Went to the local range last Monday (Columbus Day so us federal employees got the day off) and put a few .40 S&W rounds through my M&P Shield. Also just got a Taurus PT140 Millenium G2 but haven't shot it yet.

Day 2 of my three day carbine class this past weekend. Beard, I know. I trim it with a straight though, :thumbup:

The 11.5" BCM upper/Palmetto lower AR pistol performed flawlessly with a mixture of brass and steel cased ammo. Shot quite accurately despite the cheap ammo and lightweight barrel.

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
They came in 8th place out of 30 teams, only the top 4 go to state, so maybe next year.
Looks like a fun class LL.

That's pretty good still. A whole year of practice and they will be better next year.

$Range Day.jpg
Took the Glock 23 out Saturday for its maiden shoot. Seems I shoot a little left, that is why we practice I suppose. Good day despite the drizzly cold weather.

Sunday afternoon I finally made it back to the range south of Madrid, IA. It's a very nice range that is run by the state DNR. That's the first that I've been out since January. It had been a frustrating weekend at work due to a special project with a special problem due to a "special" client. I really needed to vent some frustration.

I tooled up with my Phoenix Arms 22LR semi-auto that was just out of the shop and a brand new Armscor/Rock Island Armory full sized 1911 in 9mm. I had limited 9mm ammo on hand and was in a hurry, so called that good.

Since I hadn't shot in a while I started with the little Ring of Fire 22. For six or eight magazines I was plinking away pretty good at steel plates, at least the 7 yard ones ones with a fair number of hits at 50 feet. I think I was hitting the distant ones fairly well, there was just enough other noise that the little 22 slugs didn't cause much of a ring when they hit the plates. At the end of the last magazine it locked open as expected, but I was unable to get the empty magazine out no matter what I did with the various safeties. Yea, it's got a magazine safety and mag interlock and who knows what else. At that point the range went cold for another group to set up targets.

When we were back on the line I switched to the 1911. I was shooting a couple boxes of reloads, so a 124 grain LRN pushed by Unique. It was wonderful! I was hitting pretty much everything on the range at will! I gotta load up some more 9mm and get that gun out to the range again soon.

At first glance that new group that was setting up targets appeared to be a couple of guys, maybe mid-twenties, one of whom had brought his girl friend along. The guys seemed to be big on rapid fire magazine dumps with a spray and pray mentality. She, on the other hand, was popping off rounds not quite as quickly but double tapping each target and moving on to the next. Then I noticed the really strange form that one of the guys was using and the girl friend adjusting him from behind, then coaching the other guy as well. While the guys were wearing shorts and t-shirts she was all decked out in tactical gear complete with an actual gun belt and holster. Now I'm pretty sure she was an off duty cop who had brought her boy friend and one of his pals to the range!

After I ran through the first fifty rounds of 9mm I switched back to the 22 pistol. I finally got the slide to release, but it simply would not strip a bullet off the magazine and chamber it. It's a cheap gun and really not worth spendinding the money on it to go back to a gunsmith. If I can't sort it out myself I'll just have to dispose of it safely and buy a better one some day. I'll probably just look for something in a larger caliber that comes with a conversion kit.

So back I went to the 9mm. It still felt good and I was double tapping each target just like the next stall, but maybe not quite as fast.

The folks next to me ended about the same time I did. I offered to clean up their brass if they weren't going to keep it. Once again I manage to come back from the range with many more cases for reloading than rounds fired. That's always my criteria for calling it a good day at the range.

Top Bottom