What's new

The 2014 Gun Range Thread

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Dec 27th & 28th Annual LE Patrol Rifle Familiarization Training, Tactics & Requalification Course. About 740 rounds, give or take a few.

Had a chance to go with a buddy yesterday. Had a really fun time.

I bought these targets that look like the old game "Battleship". Set it out to ten yards and used the iron sights on the rifle. No scopes allowed! It was harder to do than I would have imagined but it provided for an hour of amusement and some great camaraderie.

$Battle At Sea.png

Last edited:
I lucked into a couple of bulk boxes of .22LR on Friday, so Sunday was finally spent doing some plinking with my Armscor M20 rifle. I finally zeroed the scope on it. It's getting 1" groups at 50 yards.

I have been able to hit the range a few times this year and shoot my Glock 19 and Smith & Wesson M&P .22. We moved to Winter Haven, FL and I live about 2 miles from LeadFeather Guns and Archery, which has an indoor range as well for guns and archery. Really a nice place. Anybody else live nearby and go to this range? i'd love to meet up with someone and go shooting.

Just a simple trip to the local trap range with my fancy single barrel trap with the nice engraving. Wearing my nice ivy cap in brown tweed. It was my one of my classy shooting trips. One that I love to do.

I don't get to shoot it as much as I would like, but I recently got to take my bolt gun out to my brother-in-law's ranch. I got to shoot it from 100-700 yards. I wanted to go out to 1000, but the cows were in the pasture behind us, so I couldn't back up any further. I love shooting this gun, and I need to start reloading as the cost of match ammo for it is a bit high. But I got to indulge a bit last weekend.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Went to my local Rifle club for the first time on Friday. Shot 70 rounds of .22LR with various semi-auto rifles, and 10 round of .357 Magnum with a Lever Action rifle.

Took the K-22 out:

Along with a new lever that followed me home:

Got to shoot my new old Ruger 44 Carbine:

And the 1894C 357 Mag I picked up back in December:

It was a good day!

I didn't shoot this year until about 2 weeks ago when I got back to the good ol' US of A. I have been sending my paychecks to Brownell's to build a new AR. I got some much needed trigger therapy in at a USPSA Match in Albuquerque, taught a new revolver owner how to run her gun last week in a private lesson, and went out today to test the new AR. No pics yet, but I have some tuning and adjusting to do on the new rifle.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just took my IPSC 101 class and attended my first match. Kinda nerve wracking for some reason, and for the life of me I can't remember if I lined up the sights at all during the closer paper target shots. It was fun tho'!

Although I only ran through a little over a 100 rounds, the gun seems to have a lot more carbon on the inside. I wonder if the rapid firing somehow makes it dirtier?

Tomorrow we are headed to Houston to visit my brother in law and his family. We are planning a gun range trip which will be my 2nd time shooting ever. The first time was a real learning experience considering we had a shotgun and few pistols along with stationary targets and clays. I don't own any guns but am interested in buying one eventually. Any suggestions on what to try? I'm sure he has a good idea of what I should try as he has a few and does some competition shooting.

Tomorrow we are headed to Houston to visit my brother in law and his family. We are planning a gun range trip which will be my 2nd time shooting ever. The first time was a real learning experience considering we had a shotgun and few pistols along with stationary targets and clays. I don't own any guns but am interested in buying one eventually. Any suggestions on what to try? I'm sure he has a good idea of what I should try as he has a few and does some competition shooting.

I'm the BIL. I have a new Remington VersaMax I want him to try, as well as my old childhood hunting shotgun, Mossberg 500c (20ga. pump). I'd like to shoot skeet, but it might be a little demoralizing. I don't know, though, shooting at the sky can be a lot of fun.

I'm also thinking about bringing my Ruger 10/22 for some plinking fun, and my Ruger Police Service Six (1976 model). Every man needs to shoot .357 mag at least once in his life.

Oh, and my AR. That. A man needs to shoot a black gun.

I'm the BIL. I have a new Remington VersaMax I want him to try, as well as my old childhood hunting shotgun, Mossberg 500c (20ga. pump). I'd like to shoot skeet, but it might be a little demoralizing. I don't know, though, shooting at the sky can be a lot of fun.

I'm also thinking about bringing my Ruger 10/22 for some plinking fun, and my Ruger Police Service Six (1976 model). Every man needs to shoot .357 mag at least once in his life.

I figured he had a plan...this is gonna be fun

Just took my IPSC 101 class and attended my first match. Kinda nerve wracking for some reason, and for the life of me I can't remember if I lined up the sights at all during the closer paper target shots. It was fun tho'!

Although I only ran through a little over a 100 rounds, the gun seems to have a lot more carbon on the inside. I wonder if the rapid firing somehow makes it dirtier?

IPSC? You must not be in the US:). I shoot USPSA which is the US equivalent. And it it SO.MUCH.FUN.

I load my own, and it seems the bullet/powder combo makes a big difference in the "dirtiness" of the barrel. MPRO7 or Hoppes and it's brand new.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Nothing says family reunion like some good ole gun range time! :thumbup:

Top Bottom