What's new

Bodum Double Wall Mug=Shaving Mug?

I'm skeptical. Glass isn't much of a material for storing heat, it insulates, as the description suggests. The same goes for the air inside. So a hot liquid (tea) that is in itself a heat-storer will probably be kept hot and transfer little heat to the glass walls. The thing is lather is not a liquid, in fact it is more of an insulator , too. That's only my theory, keep us informed.
Greetings
oskar

Yeah, I think it would work great if you could get hot water in between the two glass walls so it can actually store and dissipate heat to the inside. It's pretty much going to act like a thermos, I have to admit I'm not sure how effective that sort of device will be in terms of keeping lather warm. My instinct is that the heat will rise off of the lather and brush, and that'll be it.

I've read many reviews on these types of glasses and they are hand blown which is kind of cool but I've heard reports of their fragility. Especially with larger models there are lots of reports of breakage on Amazon. I've got some smaller ones for coffee but I haven't used them as I've been going for larger coffees lately (Fiesta latte mugs). Though the Fiesta mugs do make good lather bowls.

Have you seen these in person?? I have and I would not want to use them for shaving because the glass walls are in my opinion very thin. Besides that, the vacuum technology is not really practical for this purpose; when used in a sealed Thermos, vacuums work very well but once you open the top, the cold or heat stored inside dissipates quickly......try a scuttle...

I've got a couple smaller ones and they are fairly fragile..... Great for coffee/espresso, but I'd be careful about anything remotely capable of cracking it.

Given that they cost $25 plus shipping and may or may not keep the lather nice and toasty warm I will stick with my $2 K-Mart ceramic latte mug. And if I should break it I can easily replace it for next to nothing.

For roughly $10.00 0r $15.00 more you can get a handmade scuttle from Georgetown Pottery. They're far prettier and probably more effective at holding heat because it's clay as opposed to glass. And you can have personalized with initials which makes it even more unique.

Great for coffee and tea. I'm having some coffee in one of these as I write, actually. . . It does keep your beverage warmer than a regular mug.

I'm not sure if it's a great idea for the shave den, mostly because of the fragility factor, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make with warm lather. . . Worth a try though. . .

I have some of their glasses, I love them. I didn't think they had something big enough to use as a shaving mug. I just ordered:w00t:

Top Bottom