What's new

Florsheim Shoe Quality

I was just looking around for some Chukkas and saw a pair made by Florsheim that I really like and they happen to be on sale. What is the general thoughts on the quality of Florsheim shoes? I would only be wearing them every once in a while, maybe twice a week. Are they shoes that are going to last me a year or are they a good investment? Any advice would be appreciated.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I had a pair of ~$400 Florsheims (still can't believe I spent that much for a pair of shoes) and they were super soft right form the get-go. Only problem I had was that the soles wore out too fast as I walked to work daily (~1-2km each way) and wore them out over a summer. The cost to resole was more than I could pick up a new pair at Bata for, so I stupidly threw them out instead of spending the extra $$ and haveing a great pair of shoes. *sigh*

I think Florsheims get mixed reviews. That being said, I bought a pair of Florsheim wingtips a couple of years ago and they are holding up beautifully. It's almost time to get them re-soled, but my local shoe repair shop should have no difficulty. They probably arent as well made or the same quality as an AE, Alden, or a higher end brand, but I have no complaints and they were about 1/3 the price of the AE wingtip

Higher end brands do not neccesarly mean better quality. Many times it only means more popular or more expensive.

For $100, they are a decent shoe.
Don't expect the fit and comfort of AE or Alden.
Sizing is also a lot more restricted. If you take a B/C/D/E you're okay, but nothing narrow.

Back in the day, they were one of the finest shoes ever made. That's long gone. Pass!

For sure, once upon a time a pair of Florsheim Imperials was top of the heap. Built like a tractor and the craftsmanship was impeccable.
These days...if you have the resources-

All British...all silly expensive:
Crockett & Jones
George Cleverley
John Lobb

Glad I'm a boot guy....

Not sure about an investment. But my two working shoes are a pair of brown Bostonian and a pair of black Florsheim. Both are at least ten years old. Both have spent a lot of time in my closet until recently when I have been moved back into the office. Now they get worn daily in rotation. The only real input I can give is the Florsheim's are more comfortable and seem to have better fit and finish. I would not hesitate in buying another pair.
Johnny

I own two pair of Florsheim wing tips; 1 black, 1 brown. I wear them on average twice a week, and have re-soled/re-heeled twice. If one properly cares for the uppers, they will last a very long time. I bought them in 1983.

Since we are both in the Southwest (one or two cities apart) I would suggest looking into custom made boots. I use Stewarts in Tucson, your initial investment will get you a pair of boots made to your specs, in the material you choose, fitted to your feet and walking pattern.

Show Time,
What are we talking price range and would they be able to make a Chukka style boot or something similar to the Wolverine 1000 mile?

I have a pair of Florsheim Royal Imperial Wingtip Blucher Oxfords that are about 20 years old and are outstanding shoes but I cannot comment on their quality nowadays.

Show Time,
What are we talking price range and would they be able to make a Chukka style boot or something similar to the Wolverine 1000 mile?

I've seen him make the Chukka Style with a side zip or a pull on. You should be out of there for about $500.00 or less, but that all depends on the leather you pick.

Top Bottom