What's new

Gillette Old Type OC - info required

Hi all.
Just bought this off the bay.
Serial no. C142662 which I think makes this a 1911 or 1912 razor?
Any info on this or advice much appreciated!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have the gold version of that razor. It appears to be a Gillette single ring. Can you find any numbers on it, I could try and help you find the year of manufacturer.

It appears I am wrong....

Last edited:
Looks like a 1912 model 102. Love the shave, has a really nice patina. I personally don't polish them. I clean them, but leave the patina.

I was actually thinking about getting it replated in bright nickel as there is some plate loss. Hopefully the shave won't be too much more aggressive than say my Fatboy on 5 or my Jagger DE89.
I look forward to trying something which is just over 100 years old.
With any luck the teeth will be in good condition, although it's fairly hard to tell from the dark photos.
proxy.php

Thanks for the responses so far :thumbup1:

Here is a wiki date chart :http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

1912C80509‑C260238

1913C260239‑C407806

Category:Gillette Old Type Razors

• Rate This Page

This category lists Gillette razors made with the original Old Type head design. Gillette introduced this design in 1903 with the first double-edge safety razors, and received patent US775134 in 1904. Gillette continued to produce variants until 1929. The Old Type razors included two-piece and three-piece variants. This open comb head used a cap with two 'bullet shaped' positioning pins, coupled to a plate with corresponding holes, to hold the blade in place. Many non-Gillette razors copied this simple design. The name 'Old Type' originated in 1921 with the introduction of the 'New Improved' razor. Until then the 'Old Type' was just the 'Gillette razor'. From 1921 to 1929, the 'Old Type' was lowered in price to $1 and was commonly sold under the name 'Brownie', while the 'New Improved' was sold for Gillette's standard razor price of $5 (source: Cutting Edge by Gordon McKibben, Harvard Business Press, copyright 1997).

Photos:

Zygalski...excellent find! I have a 1908 Single-ring in the arsenal and it's a phenomenal shaver. I actually used it this morning with a Feather. You're going to enjoy!

JBradley: I'm with you...love the patina. I never take it off, either.

Cheers,

Rick

Sorry...forgot to add:

Very YMMV, but I'd put it's shave between the NEW and the late '40s Aristocrat.

Cheers,

Rick

Ok well I like sharp blades, so I'll slap a Feather, Polsilver SI or Gillette Black in it & let you know what I think.

The razor arrived today, complete with a small crack at the top of the handle. I think I will try to get it restored & hopefully the crack can be fixed somehow. Other than that it appears in excellent condition for a 100 year old razor.
proxy.php

I wouldn't worry too much about the crack. It looks like it doesn't even go all the way through. Most of these have this issue.

I have the same razor only from 1920. Same crack. It won't affect the shave.

Great shaving razor. Easy to get a BBS.

Thanks fellas... that's encouraging.
Today I sent the razor off to Dave at Restoredrazors. Hopefully he can prevent the crack getting any worse & also give it a sympathetic new nickel coating whilst keeping the character of this Gillette intact...

Hope that you enjoy that razor. Post a pic when it's back from replating. I shaved with an old type clone on and off for 20 years. It wasn't until finding Badger and Blade that I learned I needed more razors, like this recent acquisition, a 1905 single ring no crack:

proxy.php

Top Bottom