What's new

Newbies, tell us how is your shave progress so far, what have you learn?

Tell us what has improved from your last shave. :shaving:

What major technique have you improved on or discovered and what gear did you do it with.
proxy.php

Not sure I can say what's improved since my last shave, but I can say that since I started DE shaving (about 3 months ago) I have been more consistent. More consistently getting good shave, few to no nicks/weepers and less irritation.

The technique that helped me the most was making sure I held the razor at the bottom. Too often I held it a little higher up the handle, causing me to apply pressure. I've found that I need a little more time to properly shave; I've switched to shaving at night.

I've been shaving with VDH Deluxe soap and it's worked fine. A couple of times I used Barbasol for comparison and not sure if I can tell the difference. I am interested in trying a cream and am going to get some Proraso.

My razor is a Maggard M1 with Astra SP blades. I really like both. I was debating ordering a 100 pack of the Astras or just getting about 10-20 and a couple of other samples.

I got my best shave after not showering. I simply washed my face and lathered up. Been wondering if cold water shaving might be for me and plan to give it a try.

At a little over a month in I'd have to say that taking the time to do proper prep and a good lather is the most beneficial thing I've learned. Also, taking your time and using care not to apply pressure to the razor is also key. I've been getting nice shaves with no nicks or irritation ever since learning these things.

I've been doing this DE thing for almost a year now. What have I learned?

1. I will never use a cartridge razor again. When I started with DE wet shaving, I thought I'd still take my cartridge razor with me on vacations ---- that has proven to be untrue; the shave I get with my DE is just so much better, and it's so much more fun than cartridge shaving, I simply cannot bring myself to put a cartridge to my face anymore.

2. Face lathering is not as hard as I thought it would be. I just learned this last week, and do still find it more difficult to lather certain products than others, but I can tell this is something I will continue to pursue.

3. I prefer soaps to creams

4. Finally, and most importantly of the things I've learned: shaving can be FUN!!

Gear I've been using:
Merkur 33C
Tweezerman brush
various blades (favorite so far is the Gillette 7 O'Clock sharpedge)
DR Harris and MdC soaps

I have a Simpson Colonel headed my way right now, and I just ordered some of the aforementioned 7 O'Clock blades and also some Feathers, so that will be some fun new stuff to play with.

I've been lurking here a lot more than I've been posting. I owe a huge "Thank you" to all the B&B folks, who I've found to be kind, knowledgeable, and helpful. :) Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to pay the favor forward. :)

Been about 3 months now. My face prep has gotten a lot better. I can really tell the difference between a good prep and a bad one.

I discovered Arko and love it (and face lathering).

I'm still playing with blades but the Persona Red I tried was nice. I need to get some more of those.

I can use a balm AS if my skin is really irritated, but I like the alcohol splashes.

My biggest improvement has been lathering. I was very surprised to learn how big of a difference a good lather can make during a shave.

I have learned a lot about preping my wiskers and i have learned about alum block i have sensitive skin so before i put on after shave i use the alum block to seal my pores and then use whatever after shave that i have. A little birdie told me to shave my neck up only and do two passes and now my neck dont break out i learned that i love tabac , paraso , and cit shave soaps and still so many to try . I learned that if you grip the brush itself and not the handle it lathers better. And have been warching videos on how to straight shave and honing videos and that it with take an act of got to get the money for the stones on my budget lol . As soon as i get the cash i want to start straight shaveing. And that ill need a second job to support my new obsession lol. I also learned that i love clubman spiced bay rum , my father sent me a sample.

After only using my DE once so far I learned that it is time for a shave(I dont shave daily) and I look forward to it now. Never thought that I would say that.

I have learned that it is messy! I have a small bathroom with little/no counter space and I am finding that I get water everywhere.

I can also see how this hobby can be somewhat addictive. I want to buy everything to try it out.

I am a very green newbie and have a lot to learn

Hydrate your face well before shaving. Don't apply pressure to the razor against your skin. Use an alum block after your shave. I like to finish off my shave with Nivea After Shave Balm for sensitive skin. All razor blades are not created equal. Get a sampler pack and find which brands works best for you. The information available on this forum is grade-A.

Second day off the Cart, just sliced a mole this morning. What I've learned: Buy a styptic pencil and respect the blade. Not quite good enough yet to not think about what I'm doing while I'm doing it.

I've learned:

1. My favorite DE blade based on price and compatibility with my skin is the Personna Lab Blue.
2. My current DE razor is the Merkur #500 - I like it and will probably continue with it.
3. A clean-up with witch hazel is good after shaving; and sometimes, a wash with it the night before.
4. Putting on a layer of well-massaged shaving cream on before the shower and washing it off 5 - 10 mins later is a good conditioner.
5. I like Proraso Green, but have considered branching out, and am open to suggestions.

--J.

Not sure I can say what's improved since my last shave, but I can say that since I started DE shaving (about 3 months ago) I have been more consistent. More consistently getting good shave, few to no nicks/weepers and less irritation.

The technique that helped me the most was making sure I held the razor at the bottom. Too often I held it a little higher up the handle, causing me to apply pressure. I've found that I need a little more time to properly shave; I've switched to shaving at night.

I've been shaving with VDH Deluxe soap and it's worked fine. A couple of times I used Barbasol for comparison and not sure if I can tell the difference. I am interested in trying a cream and am going to get some Proraso.

My razor is a Maggard M1 with Astra SP blades. I really like both. I was debating ordering a 100 pack of the Astras or just getting about 10-20 and a couple of other samples.

I got my best shave after not showering. I simply washed my face and lathered up. Been wondering if cold water shaving might be for me and plan to give it a try.
Pressure is the key to a good result. Astras are good, but if your not sure go for a sampler.

I've learned:

1. My favorite DE blade based on price and compatibility with my skin is the Personna Lab Blue.
2. My current DE razor is the Merkur #500 - I like it and will probably continue with it.
3. A clean-up with witch hazel is good after shaving; and sometimes, a wash with it the night before.
4. Putting on a layer of well-massaged shaving cream on before the shower and washing it off 5 - 10 mins later is a good conditioner.
5. I like Proraso Green, but have considered branching out, and am open to suggestions.

--J.
Why not use a shave brush?

I have learned that it is messy! I have a small bathroom with little/no counter space and I am finding that I get water everywhere.

I can also see how this hobby can be somewhat addictive. I want to buy everything to try it out.

I am a very green newbie and have a lot to learn
:lol:

At a little over a month in I'd have to say that taking the time to do proper prep and a good lather is the most beneficial thing I've learned. Also, taking your time and using care not to apply pressure to the razor is also key. I've been getting nice shaves with no nicks or irritation ever since learning these things.
Lather is key, without water and lather you will scrape your skin of along with the whiskers.

I've been doing this DE thing for almost a year now. What have I learned?

1. I will never use a cartridge razor again. When I started with DE wet shaving, I thought I'd still take my cartridge razor with me on vacations ---- that has proven to be untrue; the shave I get with my DE is just so much better, and it's so much more fun than cartridge shaving, I simply cannot bring myself to put a cartridge to my face anymore.

2. Face lathering is not as hard as I thought it would be. I just learned this last week, and do still find it more difficult to lather certain products than others, but I can tell this is something I will continue to pursue.

3. I prefer soaps to creams

4. Finally, and most importantly of the things I've learned: shaving can be FUN!!

Gear I've been using:
Merkur 33C
Tweezerman brush
various blades (favorite so far is the Gillette 7 O'Clock sharpedge)
DR Harris and MdC soaps

I have a Simpson Colonel headed my way right now, and I just ordered some of the aforementioned 7 O'Clock blades and also some Feathers, so that will be some fun new stuff to play with.

I've been lurking here a lot more than I've been posting. I owe a huge "Thank you" to all the B&B folks, who I've found to be kind, knowledgeable, and helpful. :) Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to pay the favor forward. :)
Simpson will be a step up too,:thumbup1:

Been about 3 months now. My face prep has gotten a lot better. I can really tell the difference between a good prep and a bad one.
only
I discovered Arko and love it (and face lathering)

I'm still playing with blades but the Persona Red I tried was nice. I need to get some more of those.

I can use a balm AS if my skin is really irritated, but I like the alcohol splashes.
:thumbup1:

My biggest improvement has been lathering. I was very surprised to learn how big of a difference a good lather can make during a shave.
It protects your skin from the sharp blade.

I have learned a lot about preping my wiskers and i have learned about alum block i have sensitive skin so before i put on after shave i use the alum block to seal my pores and then use whatever after shave that i have. A little birdie told me to shave my neck up only and do two passes and now my neck dont break out i learned that i love tabac , paraso , and cit shave soaps and still so many to try . I learned that if you grip the brush itself and not the handle it lathers better. And have been warching videos on how to straight shave and honing videos and that it with take an act of got to get the money for the stones on my budget lol . As soon as i get the cash i want to start straight shaveing. And that ill need a second job to support my new obsession lol. I also learned that i love clubman spiced bay rum , my father sent me a sample.
:lol:

Top Bottom