What's new

Newbies, tell us how is your shave progress so far, what have you learn?

I am really learning how to face lather. I've tried bowls (I always end up with too much water and have to start over) and my hand (a big mess). Directly on my face I think I am getting the hand of it.

Soak your brush, just the hair leaving room at the bottom of the knot. Drip some water onto your soap with your brush to bloom it, several or a couple drops not much, put back your brush into the soak. Do whatever pre ritual you do. Ring your brush of the water, fling it a few times. You want your brush semi dry fairly dry. Start swirling up your pre bloomed soap, if it's starting to lather, your using too much water. You want moist yet somewhat thick. Don't be afraid to use a lot of product, subjective yes but you'll get a feel for what is a lot. Start working a good amount of layer to your whole beard. Swirl up more soap if you are unable to cover your beard. Now, add water to your brush. I advise dripping water by hand onto the top of the brush and swirling it onto your beard. Repeat with the dripping and applying until you create a creamy consistency that sticks to your beard and stays moist throughout your shave. The trick is to add water slowly and swirl. Adding too much water to soon is difficult to recover from, it can be done but is a pita. Dripping water can be cumbersome as well. You can run a slight stream of water and race your brush perpendicularly through it to catch just a bit of the stream. It's what I do, but I suggest doing the hand drip so as to get the hang of water to soap ratio. If your lather is dripping your using too much water. If your lather is drying up before you finish your pass, your not dripping and swirly enough water into your beard.
Hope this helps, good luck!

I have learned not to put lather on your wet face.
Either put the soap on your wet face and lather there, than make lather in a bowl first and then put it on your wet face.
Next time I'm drying my face and then apply lather.

Just ordered my first real straight from the classified. Been messing around with Feathers artist club for about 30 Shaves so far and really wanted a real straight razor. Can't wait for it to come. Maybe I will have less blood with that than the Feathers , which is kinda rough but it has my undivided attention at all times. Respect the blade and it will resect you. Trying to figure out why the Feathers doesn't respect me that's the question?

If I am able to get it for a good price, definitely.

I think the culprit is the thick coarse hair that grows in all directions. I am getting better shaves with the Ikon102, but not as close as with open combs (Parker 36C and Muhle r41). The only problem with my face and open combs, particularly the r41, is that I get a lot of razor burn. Ive tried a lot of blades in these two and always get the razor burn.
sometimes it's technique not the gear.....

I've been at since the spring... and I am getting great shaves, and then a week ago some razor burn... and for the first time. My first DE shave was better than that.
So I learned not to get too casual over time. When everything is working, stay attentive to angle and pressure. Just because I am no longer trying to figure out best angle and pressure, is no cause to dismiss best practices.
I kept the same blade in the razor (shave # 6 on Personna Med Prep), same cream and brush on the next shave. Smooth as silk.

Hydrate your face well before shaving. Don't apply pressure to the razor against your skin. Use an alum block after your shave. I like to finish off my shave with Nivea After Shave Balm for sensitive skin. All razor blades are not created equal. Get a sampler pack and find which brands works best for you. The information available on this forum is grade-A.

+1................

Hi guys, I'm new here but have been using the techniques discussed here with my cartridge razors. I've found leaving the badger brush while I shower to be the most important part about my shave. I never use cold water. I've found washing my face after even 3 minutes of shaving irritating. I let it air dry a couple minutes and use a cool moist towel to clean my face then use nivea sensitive balm. I just found the site and took the plunge in wet shaving by getting a 34C. I'm excited to try the new cella soap and DE blades. I've yet to order a sample pack. Trying to decide on a set of 2 piece razors totaling 20 blades or 5 packs totaling 50 blades. I reckon I already have a few years of lathering experience, so the only thing to learn is blade pressure and angle. I should be able to make decisions with 2 blades a pack right? Thanks

G'day mate :) I'm a newbie as well (in the forum), and just read your post... I'd go with Astra blades (very sharp, but forgiving and smooth) and/or Derby extra (not as sharp as Astra IMO, but still very smooth)

Cheers , let us know how did you go :)

New to the forum, but I've been DE shaving about a year. The biggest change I've seen is in my technique. When I started I bought a Merkur 1904, a blade sample pack and an Omega "49" brush. I rarely got away unscathed, my lathers were thin and disapated, and any blade sharper than a Derby left me looking like I'd used a belt sander. With consistent practice my bowl lathers are nice and thick, just started face lathering so that'll be a learning process, And Feathers are my preferred blade.

G'day mate :) I'm a newbie as well (in the forum), and just read your post... I'd go with Astra blades (very sharp, but forgiving and smooth) and/or Derby extra (not as sharp as Astra IMO, but still very smooth)

Cheers , let us know how did you go :)
Thanks I'll be sure to order a sampler with the astra blades. I'm thinking the 2 blade set will be enough to make my decision.

Greg my situation is opposite yours. I saw my lather vary a lot at first because I would get the soap bar wet then lather. I've moved away from that, and rely on the brush for moisture. My lather has been very consistent. Overly wet lather isn't such a bad thing on the last pass. A rich lather is a must near the neck area for me.

I'm a week in and had the best shave of my life last night. I still need to work on getting a consistent lather. I've had too dry, too wet, too much but I think i'm getting there

I have posted here to this thread, but I have found the secret to getting the Arko to create a really nice create some really nice cream..not foam but a nice clown face white cream. I had to let the puck bloom for a bit and then I applied the first pass, then I lathered up over that and got a really good thick white cream that really shaves well. I do notice that the Arko need re wetting the brush, but just a few drops and it performs great! I am really liking the Arko.!

I've been at since the spring... and I am getting great shaves, and then a week ago some razor burn... and for the first time. My first DE shave was better than that.
So I learned not to get too casual over time. When everything is working, stay attentive to angle and pressure. Just because I am no longer trying to figure out best angle and pressure, is no cause to dismiss best practices.
I kept the same blade in the razor (shave # 6 on Personna Med Prep), same cream and brush on the next shave. Smooth as silk.
6 is lot for me, I do 3 on a blade.

I've been shaving more or less for six or seven months now on DE safeties - a cheap little chinese number with a stubby handle which I load with Feather blades since I clearly have priorities in order. In that time I've learned a few things. The learning process is slow going for me, because while my beard is relatively coarse, it also grows in somewhat slowly and sparcely, so that daily shaving is done more for the sake of getting soapy and steaming up the bathroom mirror than any practical purpose.

I steel have trouble with the neck (I seem to never go down it far enough) and with the inside of my jawline, but I think in both cases the matter would probably be resolved by taking a second or third pass and using heavier lather. (I use Proraso soaps. After a few weeks of lurking on here I'm starting to think I probably don't whip enough.)

-Zac

Postscript: I also seem to get better results from my soap when I don't rinse the remaining lather out of the bowl/container it comes in when I'm done shaving. I just wet my brush and reapply. Dunno if that's crazy/unsanitary or not.

Last edited:
Just ordered my first real straight from the classified. Been messing around with Feathers artist club for about 30 Shaves so far and really wanted a real straight razor. Can't wait for it to come. Maybe I will have less blood with that than the Feathers , which is kinda rough but it has my undivided attention at all times. Respect the blade and it will resect you. Trying to figure out why the Feathers doesn't respect me that's the question?
So how is the Feathers resect..I mean respect issues?

Lately I've been going back and trying all my different blades again. With improved technique I've noticed that the bulk of the blades aren't so different after all. Yes, some stand out as terrible or great, but most give me a really good shave now. I may like the comfort of one over the other, but overall, I'm getting outstanding shaves from just about any blade I load into my razor.

I'm finally getting my lather down too. I used about half of a tube of Proraso green practicing and it's finally paying off. My lathers this week have been great. I think knowing how much water your brush holds is of utmost importance as it determines how much to add when working up a lather, or in some cases, how much more to wring out. I wasn't keeping the amount of water in the brush constant, and it always caused problems. I would squeeze the brush some days, shake it on others. Now I just let it drain until it doesn't drip so the amount of water in it is roughly the same from day to day.

I also pay attention to water temp in my scuttle, I was getting it too hot to work up a good lather. My fault for ignoring Julie's advice and using boiling water. Even after a 15 minute shower it was way too hot. It's not quite warm enough for me from the tap, but 1.5-2 min in the microwave is perfect.

So, I've been using a DE safety razor on my head every night for about a week now. I've learned the same basics that everyone starts out learning...no pressure on the blade, keep good angles, short strokes, good lather, go slow and stay focused, good prep...

I managed my best shave yet tonight, so I guess things are starting to come together. I've got a lot to learn, and I would like to be able to get a BBS shave with little to no irritation and nicks, so learn I will. That's where this excellent forum comes in...

Like a lot I have learned that I get my best shaves when I'm on 3 or more days growth.

What I need to learn is how to improve my technique so I can get great shaves more often.

Top Bottom