What's new

Newbies, tell us how is your shave progress so far, what have you learn?

I'm about a month in now. Things are not perfect but they are improving and I am figuring out what works best for me.
I have a very coarse beard but also have sensitive skin in the neck area.

1- I always shower first.

2- I am now using a pre-shave. Doesn't take long and actually gives me a little more slickness.

3- I use my Merkur 34C and my Nivea shaving cream only. I find that playing with different soaps and blades and razors all at the same time is not a good idea at the beginning because there's too many variables. The ONLY thing I'm changing is the blades so I can find which ones are working best for me.

4- I have to relearn how to shave. After all these years using cartridges, letting the razor do the work actually is a big change. Learning how my beard is growing and in what directions in different part of my face is a big plus as well.

5- Blades that are considered very sharp like the Feathers that people don't recommend to newbies like me are actually quite good if not my favorite. Why? I find that the razor has an easier time cutting the coarse beard resulting in less irritation and less passes. You do have to check what you are doing with your technique but even if you nick yourself, it's not the end of the world and you learn from it.
6- Since I face lather, I absolutely love my Semogue 620. :001_wub:Incredible brush. Great backbone, nice short handle and digs well into soaps if you need to.

7-I have an Edwin Jagger best badger brush....I find it too floppy. Sure it's super soft but I think I prefer boar with more backbone.

8-I love the forum so far except for one thing. Not actually understanding the big idea of having to wait 90 days and have 50 posts to use the BST section.... I don't like that rule....I love this forum but hate that rule. I feel like I'm on probation. I don't get what will make me a better member in 90 days as opposed to now. :confused1 . Actually, it pushes you to sell your things or get things in other more open forums which is counter-productive when you want to keep members here. Sorry. Nothing personal but I wanted to mention it. End of rant:a26:

Last edited:
New wet-shaver for about three months now. Was using my late grandfather's old safey razor (I believe it was a FatBoy with blue tip), then "upgraded" to a Van der Hagen screw-close, and then this month joined Wet Shave Club.

First thing, I have hard water, and while learning how to lather properly have been struggling with this. For the past week I've been using a pre-shave soap and am still evaluating whether or not it's helping. I alternate between Semogue 610 (fave), Omega Hi-brush, Satin Synthetic, and breaking in the one that came with WSC.

I've also tried adding more water to try and get the slickness everyone talks about, with mixed results. Sterling soaps take this better and I've been able to experience the slickness finally with those. Same with Caties Bubbles. Still working on this with other soaps though...either they are pasty and feel dry when I shave, or the lather dissipates.

Last, the razor I'm using now is the one from Wet Shave Club and feels more like a quality safety razor than the ones I previously used (sorry, gramps!). I've defintely had to re-learn things since the previous two were very mild. Rewatching some beginner videos from Nick Shaves and TSE I realized my angle was too severe...with the new razor I was nicking myself all over. I'm a moley guy and it was no bueno. The angle that seems to work best for me seems to be very mild, not much more than when you first lay the razor on your face. This seems to glide over the moles while still getting a decent shave.

My challenge still seems to be ATG, especially in the neck. I get constant irritation no matter what direction I go or how steep/shallow the angle I use, and don't get very close shaves there, no matter the razor. Still a WIP there...I gather I may have to give up the desire to have a smooth ATG feel post-shave, but if I can do it, I would prefer to...

Kerrnel

Hello from Wade the Newbie.

I've been experimenting with the more traditional wet shaving for about 4 months now. Most of my knowledge has come from Youtube videos. I've tried straight razors, DE & SE. I've honestly enjoyed experimenting with all of them.

I enjoy antique shopping, so I've possibly jumped into the deep end with regards to acquiring some gear.

I can say that I'm enjoying learning about all of it. I'm enjoying the shaves. I'm enjoying how far a dollar can go with this for me.

I know there is a lot of information to be obtained, and it's looking like it will be an enjoyable experience doing so.

Right now my favorite shave has been with my Gillette brass open comb M serial number from what I think is the 1920's. I've only used a VHD blade in it, so there is probably some blade trials in my future. The soap I enjoy the best so far has been VHD Glycerin with Vitamin E & Oat extract. I do a Corn Huskers moisturizer for a pre-shave moisturizer. I then use witch hazel for my after shave prior to moisturizing again with Corn Huskers.

Thanks for having this forum.
Wade

Last edited:
Lather. For the longest time, and I spent a lot of time using a brush with cartridge razors before switching to de, I would just get some soap onto the brush and then wipe it onto my face. With a little mentoring I've finally learned to whip up a lather, and my shave has gone from serviceable to luxurious.

Yes, I still consider myself a newbie.... especially when old cartridge habits keep poking me in the eye!! :cursing:

My pressure and angle are pretty much spot on these days. I do want to try a heavier handle with my Tech someday, but I haven't decided on which handle I want to use yet.

My latest problem was with going over the same area too many times during the same pass - something I did with carts a lot. I take short, even strokes with my Tech and on areas where I hear more hairs, I will make another short stroke over the same spot. On most of my face I can get away with this, but not on the neck - I repeat - not on the neck!!

So today I only made a pass where there was lather still on my face. No lather = no stroke. Lather left = stroke. And I got a perfectly smooth damn fine shave everywhere, with no irritation anywhere!!

:thumbup:

*I've learned that these 'old fashioned' razors are actually not old fashioned at all. In fact, they're very modern in design, manufacture and performance.
*I also thought that I would have lots of cuts using one, not true, no nicks or cuts at all.
*Good quality shaving cream actually moisturises the face.
*Good quality after shave actually has a role apart from a nice smell.
*The technique that has improved for me is learning to go with the grain, then maybe across but not against which sometimes aggravates my skin.

Learning to lighten up on the pressure. Some of the sampler blades that I'd almost ruled out due to nicks early on are becoming my favorites.

4 shaves in, and I think my husband has already nailed down his perfect shave! Anthony Logistics glycolic cleanser, Badger Pre Shave oil, Body Shop Maca Root Shave cream, Merkur 34C with Derby Extra blade, Ambroley brush, Aveda dual action aftershave.
Ahhhhh it's so smooth! <3 <3

I'm about a month in now. Things are not perfect but they are improving and I am figuring out what works best for me.
I have a very coarse beard but also have sensitive skin in the neck area.

1- I always shower first.

2- I am now using a pre-shave. Doesn't take long and actually gives me a little more slickness.

3- I use my Merkur 34C and my Nivea shaving cream only. I find that playing with different soaps and blades and razors all at the same time is not a good idea at the beginning because there's too many variables. The ONLY thing I'm changing is the blades so I can find which ones are working best for me.

4- I have to relearn how to shave. After all these years using cartridges, letting the razor do the work actually is a big change. Learning how my beard is growing and in what directions in different part of my face is a big plus as well.

5- Blades that are considered very sharp like the Feathers that people don't recommend to newbies like me are actually quite good if not my favorite. Why? I find that the razor has an easier time cutting the coarse beard resulting in less irritation and less passes. You do have to check what you are doing with your technique but even if you nick yourself, it's not the end of the world and you learn from it.
6- Since I face lather, I absolutely love my Semogue 620. :001_wub:Incredible brush. Great backbone, nice short handle and digs well into soaps if you need to.

7-I have an Edwin Jagger best badger brush....I find it too floppy. Sure it's super soft but I think I prefer boar with more backbone.

8-I love the forum so far except for one thing. Not actually understanding the big idea of having to wait 90 days and have 50 posts to use the BST section.... I don't like that rule....I love this forum but hate that rule. I feel like I'm on probation. I don't get what will make me a better member in 90 days as opposed to now. :confused1 . Actually, it pushes you to sell your things or get things in other more open forums which is counter-productive when you want to keep members here. Sorry. Nothing personal but I wanted to mention it. End of rant:a26:
This site is not a actual selling or buying site for just anyone. It's prefered that you are a member and actually participate. Some people just join for the bargains and never participate. That is not fair to other members that may want to buy a bargain and another non participating member got it. So safeguards are in place to eliminate or prevent this.

4 shaves in, and I think my husband has already nailed down his perfect shave! Anthony Logistics glycolic cleanser, Badger Pre Shave oil, Body Shop Maca Root Shave cream, Merkur 34C with Derby Extra blade, Ambroley brush, Aveda dual action aftershave.
Ahhhhh it's so smooth! <3 <3
Why doesn't your husband posts?

He's not into forums and stuff. I jumped in here to research on his behalf, and you guys have all been so very helpful and knowledgeable--figured I'd post some progress instead of just lurking. :)

Today I learned that different parts of my face/neck can tolerate/require different levels of pressure. I also learned that different parts of my face/neck tolerate/require different blade angles.

Most of my face seems to be ok with any pressure/angle. A couple spots on my neck seem to need a steep blade angle. These same areas cannot tolerate any pressure. Then there are a couple spots on my neck that need a shallow blade angle with NO pressure. Then there's my chin that needs a sharp angle and a bit of pressure.

I started my De-shaving exerience with the Muhle R41 and had to learn the hard way that pressure leads to blood :)

Now for the counterintuitive bit that I've learned: when my aluminium ball-end tech came in, I had a hard time getting good results (I'd "mastered" the R41 by now). Only since I started applying some pressure to this light razor did I get good results.

After the fact this seems to make sense: The R41 is almost 4x as heavy as the tech, so for equal pressure on my face I need to apply pressure on the tech.

I'm learning that I should have listened to my father. He had told me that when he was younger, he needed to put lotion on his face/neck every night. If not, his morning shave would result in razor burn on the neck.

The last few days I have been shaving with an oil. The oil doesn't add slickness or cushion to the shave, but it seems to moisturize the skin. These last few days, my shaves have been rather comfortable, and I don't think I have added to my neck's irritation.

My hands and lips are always dry/chapped, so maybe my neck irritation is from dry skin.

Now I'm considering using a face moisturizer at night.

I have learned that doing anything beyond 2 or 3 passes and limited touch up is counterproductive for me. excessive touch up is where irritation and nicks come in and it covers for holes in my technique. What is helpful is to limit the passes and touch up and then assess what worked and what didn't work. Then I think about how I can make my passes more effective next shave.

It's very tempting to sit there at the end of a shave dabbing lather all over your face and buffing at little patches that aren't quite BBS until your skin can't take it anymore. Once I stopped doing that I found quicker progress in the quality of my main passes. Once the main passes start really improving, touch up can really just be used to focus on a couple of areas that really do need special attention. Even then as I touch up, I'm thinking about how I can get that part better with my main passes.

Once I gave up the idea of making the last shave perfect, the next shave started improving rapidly.

He's not into forums and stuff. I jumped in here to research on his behalf, and you guys have all been so very helpful and knowledgeable--figured I'd post some progress instead of just lurking. :)
We are glad you are participating, are you still in need of advice or insight?

Lather. For the longest time, and I spent a lot of time using a brush with cartridge razors before switching to de, I would just get some soap onto the brush and then wipe it onto my face. With a little mentoring I've finally learned to whip up a lather, and my shave has gone from serviceable to luxurious.
:thumbup:

Hello from Wade the Newbie.

I've been experimenting with the more traditional wet shaving for about 4 months now. Most of my knowledge has come from Youtube videos. I've tried straight razors, DE & SE. I've honestly enjoyed experimenting with all of them.

I enjoy antique shopping, so I've possibly jumped into the deep end with regards to acquiring some gear.

I can say that I'm enjoying learning about all of it. I'm enjoying the shaves. I'm enjoying how far a dollar can go with this for me.

I know there is a lot of information to be obtained, and it's looking like it will be an enjoyable experience doing so.

Right now my favorite shave has been with my Gillette brass open comb M serial number from what I think is the 1920's. I've only used a VHD blade in it, so there is probably some blade trials in my future. The soap I enjoy the best so far has been VHD Glycerin with Vitamin E & Oat extract. I do a Corn Huskers moisturizer for a pre-shave moisturizer. I then use witch hazel for my after shave prior to moisturizing again with Corn Huskers.

Thanks for having this forum.
Wade

Like this?

$1920s Brownie.jpg

Top Bottom