What's new

Newbies, tell us how is your shave progress so far, what have you learn?

Witch hazel is a must for me post shave, you don't save money wet shaving, and you cannot approach your face with a straight the same way you have been with a shavette.

Just got a pure badger brush in the mail as a late gift from my pops. I didn't mind my boar brush but... shave number 12 with this shavette was lather-tastic. Getting pretty comfortable with the ATG pass on the neck, maybe one of these days i'll try a XTG pass. Really liking these derby blades, my friend sent me some feather DE's to try, but ...they scare me a little. Just ordered a small puck of Ogallala bay rum and sandalwood to try out so, looking forward to that.
Just officially tossed out my M5 Magnum and that canned crap gel foam, no looking back ^^

Just got a pure badger brush in the mail as a late gift from my pops. I didn't mind my boar brush but... shave number 12 with this shavette was lather-tastic. Getting pretty comfortable with the ATG pass on the neck, maybe one of these days i'll try a XTG pass. Really liking these derby blades, my friend sent me some feather DE's to try, but ...they scare me a little. Just ordered a small puck of Ogallala bay rum and sandalwood to try out so, looking forward to that.
Just officially tossed out my M5 Magnum and that canned crap gel foam, no looking back ^^
Best choice you can make, keep us posted if you decide to use the Feathers.

Lol will do, my friend that sent them to me told me when i'm finally comfortable enough to try them out, I have to get the shave on video for him.

You can also uploaded here. We would love to see the fun results. Here is my vid on easy lathering

Last edited by a moderator:
I've stumbled upon some useful techniques for honing. I usually use a Norton 4/8K for honing and have a 12K natural stone for finishing. Many people will find this standard, but recently I started using a barber's hone between the 8K and natural stone and with tweaking the pressure used on each stone the results have been pretty amazing. I have found that very light pressure (blade weight) on the 4/8K and barber hone works best, yet the finishing stone takes medium pressure. This is contrary to what most people would believe, but medium pressure on the finishing stone has produced the best finishes.

Tall Guy

1.If you're a newbie like me don't be afraid of the open combs and the Muhle R41G. Don't press the R41 against your skin. Allow the weight of the razor to work for you. A light touch and short razor strokes are the key. Don't try to remove all the facial hair on the first pass.

2.Hydrate your face well with warm water before applying pre-shave or shave soaps.

3. Apply cold water an alum block to your face immediately after your shave.

4. Nivea makes some great post shave balms. No itch or razor burns after a three shave pass.

Last edited:
Five weeks in and I have learned:
1. This place is the most polite forum on the net. I have yet to see anybody flamed. Lots of good people to enable the wetshaving obsession.
2. That I should have left cartridges long ago. I am in my late 40s and there will not be enough time to discover all the possible combinations of creams, soaps, brushes, razors, blades and scuttles. So I have started my soon to be 15 year old on wetshaving. He has been cartridge shaving for a year already.
3. That one of the best razors (ATT) is made here in the good ole USA.
4. That what once was a daily chore (shaving) can be 30 minutes of sensory fun (razor singing, scents of products, warm brush with warm lather)

What I have not learned:
1. Why anybody would recommend starting with a Derby, let alone continue to use one.
2. Why Wm. Neumann products don't get any love on this forum. Not a schill here, just happened across there products before I found this site. Seems like decent stuff, but I am branching out to many and various other vendors.

Sometime in the middle of November 2013, my attention was drawn to a thread on another site, not connected to shaving, about converting to a safety razor. I then proceeded to conduct as much research as I could and determined this was something I wanted to try. I proceeded to acquire the necessary items for my starter kit and I find myself still making acquisitions.

I have been wet shaving with a safety razor for a little over a month and feel I am progressing in the right direction. For the most part I am shaving every other day with the occasional back to back days.

It quickly became apparent to me that my face would need a break in period along with improving my technique. Patience and minimal pressure are crucial. The interesting thing about DE shaving is that if you get lazy, don’t pay attention or rush, the blade will quickly remind when you get lax resulting in weepers, nicks or razor burn. Having a sufficient amount of time to shave is very helpful especially when starting out on this journey.

I rapidly became aware that researching the threads on Badger and Blade was and is going to be a valuable resource.

In addition, I have found that experimenting with different creams, soaps and combinations was going to be helpful. Experimenting with different products and techniques with this type of shaving seems to part of the overall enjoyment. I truly look forward to my next shave and it made me realize how mundane cartridge shower shaving was.

Rediscovering Pinaud Clubman brought me back to a time when I went to the barber shop up the street to get my haircut as a younger boy and young man. It has been a very nostalgic trip so far that invigorates positive memories of the grooming process that was taken for granted.

So far, the biggest thing I have learned is to keep what works, yet remain willing to try different techniques and adjustments that will hopefully allow me to hone my overall shaving experience in a consistent manner. I continue to make adjustments to my neck and jawline while minimizing irritation. It is still very much a work in progress. Some days are better than others. Fortunately, I have been able to achieve some excellent shaves so far and I hope to keep progressing in this fashion.

I am glad I came across this option for facial grooming. I enjoy the need for detail and attention wet shaving requires and I am pleased when the finished product meets my expectations. It blows away any results I have ever had with cartridge shaving.

Sounds corny, but patience and attention to basics is the main lesson. It's like playing a string instrument: practicing scales is the key to good technique (playing in tune with good tone). This is true whether you are a beginner, and advanced amateur, or a pro.

With shaving the main thing that advanced was my ability to keep the lather, blade angle, and pressure just the way I wanted it consistently rather than occasionally. And eventually you start to make minor adjustments more or less unconsciously as the situation demands.

I really didn't get this for the first month or two, but when I stopped trying so hard to "get a great shave," and simply shaved for a while things started to fall into place. The folks who say, "it is just shaving" are right, but just shaving and revisiting the basics now and then becomes a great shave more and more regularly.

Happy New Year,
Alan

Didn't try any new technique today, just been sticking with my usually 2 passes still but.. I did toss out my VdH shave puck and replaced with with some C.O Bigelow (the old formula Proraso ?) and damn, I see why people love this stuff, and the eucalyptus is a nice touch.
Still waiting on some soaps from West Coast Shaving, that will be here Friday I think, Col Conks amber, Col Conks bay rum, and Ogallala Bay rum and sandalwood ^^, looking forward to the sandalwood, but not sure how it will hold up vs this Proraso ^^

I am making steady progress so far -

I have learned that Derby blades are not a good fit for my face and have switched to Astra SP in my sampler pack, and those seem to work much better for me.

I also followed prep that was expertly laid out here, and found that it took much more time, but I rather enjoyed slowing down and just enjoying the experience. I am sure the improved and more thorough prep worked wonders today as I did not experience the burning that I have been feeling on my neck.

I'm not sure how much of that belongs to the prep and how much to the Astra SP blade, but my gut says the prep made a big difference in that. The Astra SP was much less "draggy" than the Derby for me.

I'm still feeling a bit of stubble on my neck, but am sticking to only doing a WTG and XTG pass for a week or two.

My big trouble area is my lower neck on both sides - my beard grows in a swirly pattern, so I am very concerned about ingrown hairs there.

I am also finding it very challenging to keep the proper blade angle when shaving my neck.

It has been a BIG shift from decades with an electric!

Thanks for all of the guidance!

Five weeks in and I have learned:
1. This place is the most polite forum on the net. I have yet to see anybody flamed. Lots of good people to enable the wetshaving obsession.
2. That I should have left cartridges long ago. I am in my late 40s and there will not be enough time to discover all the possible combinations of creams, soaps, brushes, razors, blades and scuttles. So I have started my soon to be 15 year old on wetshaving. He has been cartridge shaving for a year already.
3. That one of the best razors (ATT) is made here in the good ole USA.
4. That what once was a daily chore (shaving) can be 30 minutes of sensory fun (razor singing, scents of products, warm brush with warm lather)

What I have not learned:
1. Why anybody would recommend starting with a Derby, let alone continue to use one.
2. Why Wm. Neumann products don't get any love on this forum. Not a schill here, just happened across there products before I found this site. Seems like decent stuff, but I am branching out to many and various other vendors.
So how soon before your son is on his own shaving?

Sometime in the middle of November 2013, my attention was drawn to a thread on another site, not connected to shaving, about converting to a safety razor. I then proceeded to conduct as much research as I could and determined this was something I wanted to try. I proceeded to acquire the necessary items for my starter kit and I find myself still making acquisitions.

I have been wet shaving with a safety razor for a little over a month and feel I am progressing in the right direction. For the most part I am shaving every other day with the occasional back to back days.

It quickly became apparent to me that my face would need a break in period along with improving my technique. Patience and minimal pressure are crucial. The interesting thing about DE shaving is that if you get lazy, don’t pay attention or rush, the blade will quickly remind when you get lax resulting in weepers, nicks or razor burn. Having a sufficient amount of time to shave is very helpful especially when starting out on this journey.

I rapidly became aware that researching the threads on Badger and Blade was and is going to be a valuable resource.

In addition, I have found that experimenting with different creams, soaps and combinations was going to be helpful. Experimenting with different products and techniques with this type of shaving seems to part of the overall enjoyment. I truly look forward to my next shave and it made me realize how mundane cartridge shower shaving was.

Rediscovering Pinaud Clubman brought me back to a time when I went to the barber shop up the street to get my haircut as a younger boy and young man. It has been a very nostalgic trip so far that invigorates positive memories of the grooming process that was taken for granted.

So far, the biggest thing I have learned is to keep what works, yet remain willing to try different techniques and adjustments that will hopefully allow me to hone my overall shaving experience in a consistent manner. I continue to make adjustments to my neck and jawline while minimizing irritation. It is still very much a work in progress. Some days are better than others. Fortunately, I have been able to achieve some excellent shaves so far and I hope to keep progressing in this fashion.

I am glad I came across this option for facial grooming. I enjoy the need for detail and attention wet shaving requires and I am pleased when the finished product meets my expectations. It blows away any results I have ever had with cartridge shaving.

Keep at what works, but stay and dont change too much, save the changing for later when you are better at technique.

I am making steady progress so far -

I have learned that Derby blades are not a good fit for my face and have switched to Astra SP in my sampler pack, and those seem to work much better for me.

I also followed prep that was expertly laid out here, and found that it took much more time, but I rather enjoyed slowing down and just enjoying the experience. I am sure the improved and more thorough prep worked wonders today as I did not experience the burning that I have been feeling on my neck.

I'm not sure how much of that belongs to the prep and how much to the Astra SP blade, but my gut says the prep made a big difference in that. The Astra SP was much less "draggy" than the Derby for me.

I'm still feeling a bit of stubble on my neck, but am sticking to only doing a WTG and XTG pass for a week or two.

My big trouble area is my lower neck on both sides - my beard grows in a swirly pattern, so I am very concerned about ingrown hairs there.

I am also finding it very challenging to keep the proper blade angle when shaving my neck.

It has been a BIG shift from decades with an electric!

Thanks for all of the guidance!
The electric does not really cut off the hairs all the way, it just kinda skims off the top. That is why you need an adjustment period with the DE so your skin can assimilate the sharper blade.

Tommy, very good post, keep up the progress. Some days are better than others, just think hair removal on the bad days.

Just got started with a DE89lbl. I decided to make the switch after realizing I could get a much more comfortable shave with a single blade disposable and a little technique than I was getting with my Schick Quatro. I'm about 5 shaves in and I've gotten better with holding the razor at the right angle and pressure. I've been shaving against the grain (upward direction for me, so I can't just let the razors weight do the work) for the closest shave possible and haven't had any ingrown hairs or irritation yet. I love how smooth the razor feels on the skin. There's so much less tugging going on than when I was dragging the 4 bladed array across my face.

What I have learned:

1. VDH shave soap is passable and cheap, but nothing special.
2. No pressure is easier said than done.
3. Anything other than WTG around my mouth is a no go.
4. Hair on my neck grows UP, not down.
5. Anything other than WTG on neck (at least for now) is a no go.
6. Proraso shave soap is pretty good stuff for the money.
7. I don't like the smell of menthol/eucalyptus, but not the freeze/tingle.
8. You can spend as much on wet shaving products as you'd like. $30-$50 for a puck of shaving soap still boggles the mind.

I'm about 2.5 months in and have learned a lot:

1.) TOBS is still my favourite.
2.) The slant is an unforgiving b&^%$$
3.) Alum is my friend - some days are styptic days
4.) Feathers are so sharp you hardly feel the cut
5.) Take your time, no pressure, lather lots and take your time.
6.) Totally love the entire experience

Top Bottom