What's new

New to dip pens, and starter advice anyone

I received a dip pen, ink and a few nibs for christmas. I've always liked the thought of using one and try out calligraphy but I have no experience in this sort of thing.
My question is does anyone have any good learning websites or videos for starters. I have googled it and looked here but i havnt found much, to be honest I didnt have the most indepth look as I have a post christmas food hang over, so I thiught i would ask you guys.

Wazza, you'll find quite a few of us here who have discovered the joys of dip pens! Most of us have either found some books, or went to youtube. I don't have any links to share at the moment, but I'm sure plenty of guys will chime in soon enough. Check out THIS thread to watch the journey of some of the more persistent learners among us.

Welcome to the Nib Wazza! :D

I would pick a style of calligraphy you want to learn, get the right nibs and nib holder and get a book on it.

iampeth.com has some good free resources but I think nothing beats a book.

Thank you for having me!

I think I will look at getting a book, not sure on the style I want as of yet.

Cheers guys.

I can tell you of all the inks I have tried, McCafferys penmens ink has been the best by far.

Also dip pens are very sharp and untipped like FP's a very very light touch is required,.. writing striaght up towards the tip can be frustrating for a while,.. its not the nib it usually means you need to write even lighter.

good paper also helps, the little fibers in cheap paper will constantly get caught in the tines and clog up the flow

paperinkarts.com is where I grab most of my gear as they have a lot of stuff, a new fav nib of min are the Tachikawa G nibs, the Leonardt principles are also very nice, but probably not well suited to beginning out with as they are not very forgiving to a harsh hand, you will blow the tines out with very subtle mistakes, maybe leave them till you get a feel for the dip

best part about dips, you can get well set up to try a lot of different things very very cheaply

welcome to the Nib, if you have any questions please ask away

Enjoy

Top Bottom