What's new

questions about passes & the grain

Hi,

Mark, here. New member to this forum and soon-to-be starting to shave with an adjustable DE (Merkur progress). I've got a badger brush some ProRaso and alcohol-free aftershave.

Question about the across the grain pass....Is that done on the cheeks only? or do you also go across the grain on the neck? The latter sounds dangerous to me, but then again neck is the area where I usually get the most razor burn using my multi-blade cartridge razor. D*mn thing.

And while we're talking about "the grain" how can one tell what the grain is on your neck, chin, etc. Is it by feel? Eyeballing it? Is it that the hairs are pointing a certain way? Seems like you'd have to let the beard grow out a bit to really see the grain.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Most people will do a xTG pass on the neck unless they're sticking strictly to WTG passes. Note that an across pass is usually done after one or two WTG passes.

So far as grain, everyone is different, especially around the neck area, so you definitely want to run your hands over your beard area throughly to get a good idea what direction your growth goes. Generally speaking, from the chin and jawline down to the middle of the neck the hairs grow downward, and below there they tend to grow upwards. Again, it's different for everyone, my growth tends to be outward from the throat.

When you get a little better you can go pretty much any direction without cutting yourself, even on your neck. :wink:

Anyway, just let your beard grow for two or more days and you'll be able to feel which direction the hairs go. Some guys even use a cotton ball to map their beards; if there's any tugging you know you're not going with the grain.

You can definitely do an ATG on the neck but be careful. It requires a lot more skill than an ATG on the cheeks. But practice makes perfect.

Not only does the cotton ball thing give you the feedback of the cotton "tugging" on the stubble, but at least in my case it actually leaves wisps of cotton on my face. It's a great visual roadmap for the grain of your beard.

I'm on Day 3 of using my Merkur Progress, Proraso shave cream (green) and a badger brush. (using Personna blades bought at Wal-Mart) I did three passes (with the grain, across the grain, and against) and not one nick/cuts. It's the best shave I've had in recent memory. My skin was burning a little bit after, though. I wonder if it's my aftershave balm? I'm using Nivea for Men, Extra Smooth Aftershave soothing balm. (in the white glass bottle) Maybe my skin just hasn't fully adjusted yet? On the plus side, I'm already noticing less redness on my neck.

One trouble area for me is right underneath my jawline. It's hard to get a good shave there. Any tips?

Mark

Top Bottom