What's new

What to put on my straight razor when not in use? Any suggestions?

Hey guys, got my straight razor from Larry at Whipped Dog and did my first straight razor shave and only cut myself once! Lol I cleaned up the blade with my poor man's strop and now it's time to put it all back in my cabinet until the next use. I know you're supposed to put oil or some other kind of lubricant on the blade when it is not in use but im not exactly sure what to use. Any help/suggestions from the veterans? Thanks for any info.

Ballistol. Best lubricant/preservative I have ever used. It is currently being used by Hart Steel on their razors after manufacturing before shipping. Pretty good endorsement there I would say.

I keep mine in a silicone impregnated cotton sleeve from thesuperiorshave.com. Fired thoroughly after every shave but never oiled, kept in bathroom. No problems.

I use either mineral oil or dry it thorough and put it in some razor sleeves I made from a silicon impregnated rifle sleeve i have

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I use baby oil but I have used motor oil (clean and unused) WD40, and olive oil. Almost any oil will work. Wipe the blade before stropping or shaving. For long term storage use Vaseline. The small travel size baby oil works nicely. You only need a drop for both sides. Plus with the small bottle, fewer babies are harmed in the rendering process.

Top Bottom