What's new

Major Breakthough.SWMBO acceptance!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My loving wife, who has previously been adverse to smoking in any form, has accepted my occasional use of the pipe. Previously, I have only smoked by myself outside, provoking various degrees of disapproval. That certainly diminished the degree of relaxation and pleasure derived from my pipe smoking. This past Friday,to my great joy and amazement, as we were enjoying "happy hour" on the terrace during a warm spell, my wife actually suggested that I should smoke my pipe! I took this momentous occasion to open my tin of McClelland's 2013 Christmas Cheer and also christened a previously unsmoked Savinelli Churchwarden pipe. Sweet Ecstasy!!! She did position herself so that she was not down wind of my smoke and admitted that it wasn't "too bad". Thank the Good Lord that I had something to smoke with a pleasing "room note". I even got her to smell the delicious tin note, though she was very hesitant to do so. I doubt that this will become a frequent occurrence, nor likely to ever occur indoors, but this is a major milestone indeed, at least for me!

That's one small step for a wife, one giant leap for pipe smokers alike!

I recently had a breakthrough with my wife. A few nights ago my wife suggested I smoke that Christmas Tobacco (Peterson Holiday). It was snowing out and I thought that would be festive, good idea. On my way outside she asked me to smoke on the couch so the house would smell like Christmas!

Last edited:
Congrats! I recently found myself with permission to smoke in my basement office if I leave the window open and burn incense afterwards. My wife felt bad about me shivering in the garage with a space heater. The small victories are often sweet.

I dream of one day having a large wood lined study full of books, military memorabilia and whiskey in a giant globe bar, with pipe smoke hovering in the air.

good news! you've got a foot in the door. as long as you're considerate (always a good idea anyway), don't abuse the privilege, and pick stuff to smoke around her that smells good, you're off to the races. congratulations!

I dream of one day having a large wood lined study full of books, military memorabilia and whiskey in a giant globe bar, with pipe smoke hovering in the air.

wow. that really would be the season of miracles. . .

Great news, congratulations.

I enjoy the times when my wife sits with me on the porch. A good pipe, a great wife, and a perfect evening. That is the good life.

:thumbup:

...guess I can take this opportunity to brag. Wife was ecstatic when I told her I might like to try pipe smoking. She has loved the smell of every tobacco I've tried and whenever we're sitting in the living room or driving (even in her car) she suggests I smoke. She bought me another pipe last weekend. Maybe she's trying to kill me with mouth cancer.

I feel for you guys with uncooperative spouses. My late wife was always self-conscious about her cigarette smoking before I was a smoker. A small part of what got me started with cigars was to make her more comfortable. It worked!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

I'm working on that. Just recently moved so things are a bit of a mess, but my den (AKA man cave) is a project in progress. Maybe someday it will have rich wood paneling like an English manor, but for now the walls are painted a rich dark brown. Antique Indian rug is on the floor, multiple book cases are filled to the brim. Antique firearms displayed on the walls along with the family crest and a dart board. I'll be building a nice, large L-shaped reloading bench in one corner with wall mounted shelving above it. A desk with computer and a flatscreen TV rounds things out. All that's lacking is an overstuffed leather chair that will be added after the mess is cleared and the reloading gear is in place. Of course my pipe collection is prominently displayed and my modest cellared baccy collection in a glass fronted book case. I doubt I'll ever be able to smoke there, as this room is adjacent to the dining room, but who knows?

Top Bottom