What's new

Opinions Wanted - Pilot Vanishing Point versus Decimo, versus the Pilot Fermo

No one carries anything but the Vanishing Point around here. So, I am looking for opinions.

The pen will be used in meetings for taking notes. It will also be used as a journaling (sp) pen. I am assuming the medium point will be on the fine side when compared to American or European nibs.

Opinions and experiences are wanted.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Do you want some opinions based on the Vanishing Point only? I'd expect the Decimo or Fermo to be similar, but haven't tried them. And just to confuse things, if it's a retractable fountain pen you want, I don't have any experience with the Lamy Dialog either, but it looks interesting.:wink2:

My Vanishing Point with a fine nib has become a favorite rather quickly. I don't know if the fact that the nib is "Binderized" actually made a difference, but having the clip removed certainly did. The clip at the grip end of the pen is not a horrible annoyance (I've tried it), especially for quick jottings, but I wouldn't want to write page after page that way. Without the clip, it's very comfortable. Of course, some people say that they find the clip to be no problem at all, and others absolutely hate it. Without it, it's true, you have to find some way to carry the pen other than clipping it to a shirt pocket.

I find the fine nib to be very smooth. It is a fine, but not ridiculously so; no doubt their extra fine would be finer than I'd want. I've also got one with a broad nib, which is truly broad. It's beautifully smooth and comfortable to write with, as long as you have a little room to spread out, wouldn't be good for tiny handwriting or a tiny notebook.

I am looking for "opinions" on all three pens. If, someone has experience with all three or two out of three, comparison comments would be appreciated.

You provided some great comments on the Vanishing Point. Thanks.

A retractable pen is what I'm looking for. I'll buy one of the three but not the other two. :001_cool:

I use my VP at work. It is a fine and an extra fine would be needlessly too fine for me. The matte black finish looks awful after a month or two in my chef coat but it has been dropped and beat around. Still disappointed in the finish. The nib writes nice and I would consider buying more which says a lot since I really enjoy Pelikans!

I have no experience with the other two.

I use my VP at work. It is a fine and an extra fine would be needlessly too fine for me. The matte black finish looks awful after a month or two in my chef coat but it has been dropped and beat around. Still disappointed in the finish. The nib writes nice and I would consider buying more which says a lot since I really enjoy Pelikans!

I have no experience with the other two.

The carbonesque finish would likely take the abuse better than the lacquered versions. I only have VP experience, but they're brilliant pens, especially for the price. The VP Seems like the best value to me ($90). I know I prefer the clicker mechanism to a twist mechanism, so that ruled out the decimo for me.

-Andy

I've used all three. Some folks like the slimmer feel of the Decimo and Fermo. Color choices tend to be better with the VP.

Between the Fermo and the Decimo, I preferred the heft and handling of the Fermo but couldn't see the point in paying the premium. For that kind of money, I prefer the Justus.

I still have a VP in Broad. Great for short notes and signatures, but the tank is a little modest for my daily requirements.

Nib feel across the 3 models is identical. Ditto the ink capacities.

I have only used the Vanishing Point -- known here in the UK as the Pilot Capless. I have 3, all with a medium nib which is finer than the traditional European nib. I bought my first direct from Japan on e-bay in mustard colour. I also have a black carbonesque and a silver/grey. I now do not possess any other fountain pens. I fell so much in love with the Capless that I sold all my other pens including a Pelikan 800 and Parker Duofold, both of which had been my favourite pens before discovering the VP.

What has been your experience with regards to ink capacity of a Decimo? How did you use it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom