What's new

Opinions on High End Colognes

I'm thinking of buying my first "high end" cologne. Maybe Castle Forbes 1445 or Creed, I'm also really thinking about T & H Trafalgar. Any suggestions?

Trafalgar is a great scent, as are many Creeds. However, a Creed is probably going to cost about 3 times what Trafalgar does, so how "high end" do you want to go?

I have both Trafalgar and Creed Original Vetiver. The Trafalgar cost me around $75 and the Creed I found online for $85 where it would normally cost $165 retail. So, you can have both "inexpensively" if you want. I recommend them both and switch off depending on my mood and the weather.

Have fun...
:biggrin:

Trafalgar is a great scent, as are many Creeds. However, a Creed is probably going to cost about 3 times what Trafalgar does, so how "high end" do you want to go?

Yeah, the price of Creed kind of got me wavering, I think I'm going to pick from either Trafalgar or Castle Forbes 1445...what do you suggest between the two?

Have tou tested them? What do you think you like? I acutally believe that you do not have to go above 50 dls to get some pretty nice fragrances. But hey, it is always nice to have that bottle of "nice juice" no one you know has :001_rolle What cheap fragrances do you like? BTW, Castel and forbes is almost as expensive as a Creed.

A good way to get familiar with Creed is to get some samples or some small decants to try them out. Other than B&B, basenotes.net is a good place to go for information on Creed as well as a large seller forum.

BTW, I happen to love Creed Himalaya and I wear it regularly along with Green Irish Tweed. Himalaya is one of the more "accessible" Creeds as it will have a lot of notes you are probably familiar with while you are getting used to the ambergris base. I also have larger samples of Imperial Millesime (15ml), Silver Mountain Water (5ml) and Tabarome Millesime (5ml) that I have put into atomizers from Creed sample vials that I got at Neiman Marcus or that I purchased on basenotes. Total outlay for these samples: $15.

Have you tried any of the fragrances you are considering? If you haven’t and would like to try them out for a while prior to making the big commitment try here http://theperfumedcourt.com
You can get the Creeds there.
Good Luck
Doug

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A big +1 on getting samples!

What are you looking for in this cologne? Something 'similar to but better than' one of your current colognes? If so, which one (so we can suggest a similar-to upgrade.)

Be sure to try to get some Penhaligon's samples!

Samples are really important because of how different they can smell in the bottle vs on your skin.
I have a friend that loved T&H WIL when he smelled the bottle and was about to buy everything in the line until I had him spray a little on his arm. He couldn't believe how different it was. He never ended up buying it.

Get Samples!

Seriously. Even Castle Forbes. I got a sample of their Keig cologne thinking I would like it. Sounds like my kind of scent: citrus, cedar, sandalwood. It's not bad, but to my nose it's not agreeable (reminds me of a bathroom cleaner with a drydown to a dusty cedar chest after a couple of hours). Might be my body chemistry, might just be my sniffer. But I don't care for it. So I saved myself $120.

Samples, by all means.
I've tried several high end colognes and have come to the conclusion that for the most part I'm a aftershave guy rather than a cologne guy. I think the only one I'm going to purchase more of is Endymoin.

Top Bottom