What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

A further step in the mild blade/sharp razor combo is the Feather AS-D2 with feather blade. I'm going back and forth right now between that and a feather in an ATT M1. (I'll report in my final views, but so far, much more difference than I expected). - AJ

I have a R1 that I am struggling to find the combination to. I did not have any luck with the Polsilver SI's in the R1 as well. So far the Astra SPs have been the most comfortable for me. Still searching, but, I am pretty sure this R1 is going to end up on the BST to see if I can trade for a M1 or M2. My face does seem to favor the mild razor sharp blade combination.

Holy Weightlifting!!! My largest handle is the ATT colossus (bigger than the Ikon special edition) and I keep a couple of Webber bulldogs lying around to try out different heads, but WOW. You'll get your workout while shaving :thumbup: That's more than half a pound in the handle!

What's the length? It looks like a conventional large handle length.

I just ordered one of these -- Matador S5 -- from Razor Blades & More. Talk about heavy -- 10oz (283g)! The matte finish will go well with ATT heads, I'm hoping.

Yikes that Matador S5 is massive! Interested to see your opinions on it. Not sure it's for me, but I'm intrigued by it.

As for my own ATT it's a been a full week/7shaves now with the Kronos M1 and it just keeps getting better and better. No cuts or weepers and an excellent CCS with two passes WTG. I started with an Astra SS and am now using an Astra SP which I think is just THE perfect combo for me.

I continue to be increasingly impressed with this Above The Tie razor. It's "feel" in hand, length/heft ratio, the Kronos knurling, the M1 plate, etc are absolute perfection. Add to this the incredible beauty of it's precision machining and I dare say it rivals or exceeds any razor ever made.

I thought my Kronos R2 Open Comb would prevent me from acquiring RAD. When I first used it, I had only used one other DE, my trusty Merkur 34HD. I fell in love immediately with the heft, weight, design, workmanship and overall experience of the Kronos, immediately. Although I've gone nuts acquiring everything else associated with shaving (including two new bathroom shelves to hold my 23 new bottles of cologne acquired in the last four months), I haven't bought another razor.

Until yesterday, when I bought the full seven-piece ATT open comb set. I have absolutely no issues with the R2, but have recently wondered whether, as great as it is, could the M2 or H2 be even better for me? Also, if I like the feel of, say, the M2 for frequent shaving and the H2 for shaving after several days of growth, don't I need a second handle? And if my face and beard change over time, won't I be glad I've the third base plate?

It's amazing how I convinced myself I needed to spend $400 for the whole set. No regrets.

I thought my Kronos R2 Open Comb would prevent me from acquiring RAD. When I first used it, I had only used one other DE, my trusty Merkur 34HD. I fell in love immediately with the heft, weight, design, workmanship and overall experience of the Kronos, immediately. Although I've gone nuts acquiring everything else associated with shaving (including two new bathroom shelves to hold my 23 new bottles of cologne acquired in the last four months), I haven't bought another razor.

Until yesterday, when I bought the full seven-piece ATT open comb set. I have absolutely no issues with the R2, but have recently wondered whether, as great as it is, could the M2 or H2 be even better for me? Also, if I like the feel of, say, the M2 for frequent shaving and the H2 for shaving after several days of growth, don't I need a second handle? And if my face and beard change over time, won't I be glad I've the third base plate?

It's amazing how I convinced myself I needed to spend $400 for the whole set. No regrets.

That makes perfect sense to me!

I may try an M2 or an R1 just to see if I like it also.

Last edited:
Received the open comb set last week and just had the maiden shave with the M2. It's every bit as awesome as I expected. It might be just a touch smoother than the M1 for me.

Holy Weightlifting!!! ... What's the length? It looks like a conventional large handle length.

Not sure. According to the RB&M website, the length is 3-1/4 inches or 100mm, but 100mm is actually more like 4 inches, so I guess we'll see. Website says the width of base is 3/4 inch or about 20mm.

To compare, the Maggard MR8 weighs 5.3oz (150g). Length is 3.5 inches (89mm), base is 0.7 inches (18mm). So the dimensions are similar, but the Matador is about twice the weight. :w00t:

I must be an odd duck with the A.T.T. system........? Where as most around here eventually settle on one plate, I've experienced great shaves with all 3 closed bar plates - M, R, and most recently H.

The R2 tore me up to the point of if an open comb was my only option, I'd have quit DE shaving. Yet, the H plate with Atlas handle honestly gave me one of the best shaves I've had to date with only 1 weeper which was my fault. In all fairness, my own poor technique probably doomed the open comb plates for me personally.......? However, taking my time and paying attention with the H rewarded me with a shave that I didn't think was possible. Don't know why that is, and at this point don't care. The standard plates are just fine!

Having similar length handles that vary in weight considerably, has shown me that I can get BBS with any of the plates with no bleeding or irritation. (Atlas, Maggard MR3, MR8) My face and skin just likes the safety bar plates - YMMV.

Am I glad I got a set vs just a single plate/top/handle? You bet I am. NO REGRETS!

I'd be willing to bet that if Stan were to start offering handles that were the same length as what he offers now, but increased them in diameter and thus weight, he wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. For those who have not tried heavier, it's a shame because you don't know what your are missing.

Maggard or other vendors with their heavier handles opens up the A.T.T. system to a whole other level. Given the relatively low cost to try another handle compared to the cost of what you already have in a A.T.T. razor or system, I'll go as far as to say that you owe it to yourself to experience the difference.

In the end, instead of having a system, I've ended up with 3 razors that all work well and achieve the same end.

Now to decide if I want to invest in more top caps................ Probably not right now as only 1 is needed.

I'm on the verge of placing an ATT order. My final decision is whether to go with just one razor, and swap the head if necessary (I'm looking at an Atlas S2), or to go for a seven-piece set. But, real talk, guys! Those with the set, how much is it of actual practical use (and how does that work for you) as opposed to just scratching that collector itch? I don't want to just rationalize a lavish purchase (okay, I do want to actually, but I'm trying to be good here). :001_smile

^^I have a 7 piece set and I use two consistently. Honestly, to me it would make sense for Stan to sell a 6-piece set instead of 7-piece, this way you can make two complete razors. Right now I mainly use a M1 with Kronos and M2 with Atlas and have a R1 plate that I am trying to see if I can make work. Either way one of the plates will get sold, likely the R1 right now.

I love the ATT razors but looking back a 6-piece would make more sense for the way I plan on moving forward. I have read here that some gents go back and forth between several plates so it's probably YMMV. Highly recommend.

I'm on the verge of placing an ATT order. My final decision is whether to go with just one razor, and swap the head if necessary (I'm looking at an Atlas S2), or to go for a seven-piece set. But, real talk, guys! Those with the set, how much is it of actual practical use (and how does that work for you) as opposed to just scratching that collector itch? I don't want to just rationalize a lavish purchase (okay, I do want to actually, but I'm trying to be good here). :001_smile
Let me try to answer your question from the opposite perspective. I have 2 ATT handles (Atlas and Colossus) and an iKon bulldog for in between. My primary head is the M2. Since I don't use SB razors any more, I have no desire to try any of the SB baseplates. My wife got me an R2 head for Christmas (with the Colossus handle). I didn't find it anywhere nearly as comfortable as the M2, so I sent the head back to Stan to exchange for an S2, which has not yet arrived. If I like it as much as I expect, it will sit on my Colossus handle and the M2 will sit on the Atlas, and they will form part of my regular rotation. I feel no need to try, let alone own, any of the other heads. I did try the Kronos handle, but it was a touch too "Goldilocks" (not too long, not too short, just right) for me, so I swapped it for the Atlas. Again, two complete ATT razors is more than enough to satisfy my face and my RAD. But hey, that's just me...

The choice is really all up to you. You may buy a single razor and hit the sweet spot right off the bat. If you don't, you'll spend time and money to exchange 1 head at a time until you find what is right for you. Exchange means $5.75 postage and approx. 2 weeks turnaround time (shipping both ways) each time you decide to use this service.

With a set you get to try out 3 plates before you have to send some or all back for exchange if some/none agree with you.

Personally, I bought an Atlas 5 piece a couple months back and have recently (after exchanging 2 plates) got through all 3 that work for me - M, R, and much to my surprise the H. Also, unlike many around here, I don't plan on sticking to just one plate. Through the use of different handles, I've found for me I can get most excellent shaves from all 3 of the plates I have. Could I get buy with just one? Yeah, now that I have the exercise of trying several of them out, out of the way. However, since dialing them in, I can say in all honesty that it is a nice luxury to have options such as shaving daily or mowing down several days worth.

My advice, for what it's worth, go with a 5 pc. set of your choice, pick up a couple of other handles from other companies in the same or different length, but importantly weight. I bet you'll surprise yourself that a plate you think may be too mild after using it with the A.T.T. handle you buy, surprises you with a whole new personality if you put on a different handle that is twice or close to 3 times the weight of your A.T.T. handle.

I look at it this way, as I too considered a 7 pc. set. I got the cost of the A.T.T. 5 pc, plus approx. $45.00 for 2 additional handles which are close to the Atlas handle but heavier, which brings me to $344.00. If I were to add a second A.T.T. top cap for an additional $73.00, I'd be at $417.00 for the equivalent 7 pc. set, but I still have a 3rd handle. So I could buy even a 3rd top cap for another $73.00 which brings me to $490.00. Bingo, I have 3 complete razors. It just so happens that I in fact do like all 3 plates and buy using different weight handles for each really does get me what we are all after, which is a DFS, or BBS.

A person could sell off or trade plates you don't think you'll use, or in my case I could buy 2 more top caps and have 3 complete razors that all three do a really fine job. Since I can only use 1 at a time, I'll probably keep what I have for now and just swap components around. I never initially intended to end up at this point, thinking I'd be like the masses and settle on 1 handle, 1 plate........... However I look forward to and do use all 3 heads, but only because I discovered the vast difference handle weight makes for me.
You mileage may vary. Different strokes for different folks.

I'll second what HomeJay mentioned. If there was an option for different set configurations, I'd opt for an 7pc. Atlas set which included 2 additional Atlas handles - 100 gram and 150 gram, along with the current 5 pc. configuration.

Last edited:
I personally love the 7 piece set as I keep a dedicated travel bag packed with one ATT razor inside. It is nice to have the 7 piece to be able to essencially make 2 razors at home without digging the other razor from my bag.

In a two week rotation, I use all 3 of my ATT heads and both handles of my 7 piece set (S1, R1 and M2). Having some variety has cured my RAD.

I personally love the 7 piece set as I keep a dedicated travel bag packed with one ATT razor inside. It is nice to have the 7 piece to be able to essencially make 2 razors at home without digging the other razor from my bag.
Now THAT is what I consider luxury: an ATT as a travel razor! Personally, I would never subject a super premium razor like an ATT to the risk of loss or damage that seems to increase for travel razors. My travel razor is a user grade Goodwill, since it is an excellent shaver, but I would not be heartbroken if it got lost, damaged, stolen or confiscated. But if you are comfortable carrying an ATT as a travel razor, go for it --- a tip of my hat to you, Inverted!

How long did it take for you guys to receive your att from date of purchase? I ordered a S2 on the 16th and the only notice I've received is that a shipping label has been printed :(

Top Bottom